Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

LittleBuford

I think it will alleviate the lines of people at guest services asking for multi-day refunds after their first day's experience with Genie+. This system is not for everyone. Requiring people to buy it one day at a time will give guests a better chance of realizing this and will result in less disappointment overall.
This occurred to me after I posted my original question, and I think it’s the best explanation for why they’ve made this change (and another indication of how flawed the system is—they shouldn’t be facing such levels of dissatisfaction to begin with).

WDWFREAK53

It takes like 30 seconds and you can do it while you're sitting on the toilet instead of scrolling Instagram.

Of all the problems with this system, and there are many, I don't think this is one of them.
Right...because the system is so stable and NEVER has issues.
The amount of times I've had to log out and back in because they couldn't assign tickets to certain family members or times when I had to use the browser and not the app....

When it runs smooth it's fine. It's when it doesn't....

LittleBuford

And FP+ was a shoddy downgrade from FP-OG. Just going backwards in terms of guest experience.
That’s subjective. I much preferred FP+ to paper FastPasses.

It’s clear that FP+ is a divisive topic. We can all agree that the system had its fans as well as its detractors. That’s a very different situation from what we’re seeing with Genie+, however. Yes, some people have reported positive experiences with the new system, but I’ve yet to see anyone argue that it’s an improvement on FP+.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Here is the DPB post -

"Starting June 8, Disney Genie+ will only be offered for purchase through the My Disney Experience app on the day of your visit – we will no longer offer the option to purchase this service pre-arrival as a ticket add-on for dates remaining in 2022 and in 2023.

This means that, moving forward, whether you have an Annual Pass, multi- or single-day ticket, you may only purchase Disney Genie+ service on the day of your visit via the app, one day at a time, subject to availability. We’re focused on delivering the best possible guest experience, and this adjustment will help manage the incredibly strong demand our guests have shown for Disney Genie+.

We expect that, on average, guests who purchase Disney Genie+ service will continue to enter 2-3 attractions or experiences each day using the Lightning Lane entrance when the first selection is made early in the day.

If you already purchased a ticket that includes Disney Genie+ service for dates later in 2022, don’t worry – you’ll be able to use the service during your visit. Please also note this update is also only happening at Walt Disney World Resort and will not affect guests at Disneyland Resort, as the services vary at each destination."

So far, they have sold G+ to anyone who wants it. Are they going to start limiting the number available?

pdude81

It’s clear that FP+ is a divisive topic. We can all agree that the system had its fans as well as its detractors. That’s a very different situation from what we’re seeing with Genie+, however. Yes, some people have reported positive experiences with the new system, but I’ve yet to see anyone argue that it’s an improvement on FP+.
It's better for some people and worse for others. For example, I find it much easier to do all the things I want to do with this system. It's better for my family, and I'm someone who exclusively stays on property. But I also recognize that it's worse for others, and many of them like me that could lock in certain things at 60+4. So I don't think you can credibly claim any of the editions of FP/G/+ are universally better than another. There's are tradeoffs everywhere.

However, I am hopeful they make this system better as there are clear downsides.

Kingoglow

I agree. OG Fastpass encouraged a system of running through the parks to get to the machines. A system like that put people with mobility issues at. a disadvantage as well as causes general annoyance with other guest and the runners push through the crowds.

FP+ was superior.

LittleBuford

It's better for some people and worse for others. For example, I find it much easier to do all the things I want to do with this system. It's better for my family, and I'm someone who exclusively stays on property. But I also recognize that it's worse for others, and many of them like me that could lock in certain things at 60+4. So I don't think you can credibly claim any of the editions of FP/G/+ are universally better than another. There's are tradeoffs everywhere.

However, I am hopeful they make this system better as there are clear downsides.
Could you explain how it’s better for you and your family? I’m not challenging you, just trying to understand what the new system offers that FP+ didn’t.

Jeff4272

This is not a good change to Genie(-)..............This S&*%$!!!!!!!

Adding more to do day of is a step back, not a step forward.......

What a disaster bad program getting worse..........

WDW blows

Waters Back Side

Aside from this opening the door for Disney to change the price of Genie + on a select day/days, it now means people will have to wake up at midnight the day of to purchase Genie + to avoid losing out (on and off site guests). So now its a mad scramble to buy Genie + at midnight and a mad scramble at 7am to pick your first ride if you were one of the lucky ones who wanted to purchase it and were able to before it sold out. :(:(

pluto77

If they are doing it so they can change prices based on the day, it’s interesting that this update is only for Disney World. It sounds like you’ll still be able to add it to your tickets at Disneyland (they specified on the Disney Parks blog that it won’t affect Disneyland guests). Or does the system just work better in Disneyland already so they don’t think they need to change it there?

ChrisM

No, they will simply be disabling the purchase option when a threshold is met. You have to remember, they want absolutely zero impacts to their VIP tour business.

I absolutely understand the desire to retain VIP revenue - but I'd think anyone with a modicum of Excel skill and even a fraction of the marketing data they have available would be able to gin up an increase in profits by a significant multiplier if they offered an "in-between" access product.

There's a needle to be threaded here and I don't think the hole is really all that tight. It seems like the appetite to not attempt it is a simple lack of imagination.

Disney4Lyfe

If they are doing it so they can change prices based on the day, it’s interesting that this update is only for Disney World. They specified on the Disney Parks blog that it won’t affect Disneyland guests. Or does the system just work better in Disneyland already so they don’t think they need to change it there?
What do you mean “if”?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom