Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Patcheslee

My local amusement parks don't have 1-3 hour lines. Most rides are walk on to 30 minutes. So it's easy to have a good day without paying to skip the lines.
Worst I see is 2hrs on a peak weekend. But the version of skip the line for our local is flexible and unlimited.
I remember riding FOP first time and the FP+ line was still an hour. Seemed insane that was "fast"

RSoxNo1

Walk me through this scenario - I really don't understand how it's supposed to work.

I'm in Liberty Square. I have 5 attractions in my to-do list: 7DMT, Space, Splash, BTMRR, and Pirates. All of the waits are above average because it's 3 pm on New Year's Eve.

What does Genie tell me to do, and when does it want me to do it?
I would absolutely love to see side by side optimized touring plans from Disney Genie and Touring Plans. I'm sure Len is planning on testing their efficacy vs. Genie.

VaderTron

EMH was a great way to suck in tourists to Park A, and allow all of the in-the-know fans to go to Park B, C, D with lower attendance/shorter lines.

Correct, Genie is designed to move bodies away from crowded rides to low wait time rides/ less crowded lands.

It would be interesting to have a bird's-eye-view of the parks as Genie starts telling the mindless drones what ride they want to go on next. Seeing everyone move simultaneously towards Space Mountain because Genie says the 50 minute wait time is the lowest predicted for the rest of the day. By the time "guests" in Adventureland, Frontierland, western Fantasyland, and Main St. get halfway to Tomorrowland the line will be up to 70 minutes and by the time they get to the entrance queue it will be 90 minutes.

I expect Genie will provide savvy parkgoers (if any are left who can still stomach the degraded experience/price gouging...I can't and won't be there) with similar information that EMH parks did: Stay away from this ride we are suggesting. It's about to get really crowded. Go to a ride that was not suggested and has a similar wait time. The wait time is about to go down as everyone else follows the pied piper off the cliff.

Obviously the compulsion to follow Genie's advice is not likely to be as significant for lower tier rides. Still, as a whole, I think it will be fascinating, from an anthropological standpoint, to watch the power of suggestion in action en masse.

matt9112

I'm in full agreement on that point. I was just pointing out that any anecdotal stories about crowds/lines during the time the "Park Passes" were sold out are not reality in the before covid or after covid times. To have waits that low, you're paying for something else, whether it's one of the new options mentioned or a VIP tour.

Valid granted as soon as maybe 5ish years ago you could plan off season (i perfered early October) and except for the latest and greatest lines were very manageable. There has definitely been some kind of degradation of the expierence in recent times. Im not that old to be able to preach about the 80s or anything. Again my two cents. Not arguing with your point though.

matt9112

EMH was a great way to suck in tourists to Park A, and allow all of the in-the-know fans to go to Park B, C, D with lower attendance/shorter lines.

Correct, Genie is designed to move bodies away from crowded rides to low wait time rides/ less crowded lands.

Yeah worked great for those folks who had FP for COP....eye roll.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Right, that's how I operate my business. It's not my problem if my customers cannot afford my product. :rolleyes:

Right, because paying customers have no right to complain about products they are buying. :rolleyes:
It isn't your problem. If they can't afford it they shouldn' t be buying from you and trying to live outside thier means. Sorry/not sorry. Also the people complaining are the ones who said they won't use Genie + so that makes them non paying customers.

Last edited:

matt9112

Yes, because front-line CMs really know all the reasoning behind complex decisions... I mean it couldn't possibly just be things like being cheap, sacrificing one for another, or just laziness. What you are referring could simply be PRIORITIES.

I want to know why they cant staff and run both sides of BTMR at rope drop...its legitimately cost cutting due to not prioritizing capacity since you dont inherently need it but it also comes across as lazy. We know we know the entire place is a big spread sheet covered in profits. Im glad you will be the x axis.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It would be interesting to have a bird's-eye-view of the parks as Genie starts telling the mindless drones what ride they want to go on next. Seeing everyone move simultaneously towards Space Mountain because Genie says the 50 minute wait time is the lowest predicted for the rest of the day. By the time "guests" in Adventureland, Frontierland, western Fantasyland, and Main St. get halfway to Tomorrowland the line will be up to 70 minutes and by the time they get to the entrance queue it will be 90 minutes.

I expect Genie will provide savvy parkgoers (if any are left who can still stomach the degraded experience/price gouging...I can't and won't be there) with similar information that EMH parks did: Stay away from this ride we are suggesting. It's about to get really crowded. Go to a ride that was not suggested and has a similar wait time. The wait time is about to go down as everyone else follows the pied piper off the cliff.

this is why advanced systems don’t tell everyone the same thing. Maybe it only recommends space to 1/4 people… or it rolls it out where it does group a, waits for changes, then decides if it tells group b etc.

this is the advantage of reaching all the consumers - not just s small group.

conversely its also why small audience tools like 3rd party apps can be more uniform without ruining it for themselves… smaller audience following the same advice means you don’t shift the needle ruining your own plan.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
this is why advanced systems don’t tell everyone the same thing. Maybe it only recommends space to 1/4 people… or it rolls it out where it does group a, waits for changes, then decides if it tells group b etc.
Are you implying that Genie is good because it does what you're describing, or bad because it fails to do what you're describing?

I think it's obviously the former.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
More likely to point out any TS dining that has an available reservation or waitlist not full. Sitting on a bench is free
I guess you’re unaware of “Speedy Sit”.

Add an h and you’ll understand the how occasional gastrointestinal distress will be capitalized on as well.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I want to know why they cant staff and run both sides of BTMR at rope drop...its legitimately cost cutting due to not prioritizing capacity since you dont inherently need it but it also comes across as lazy.

I don’t disagree- but again that was not the assertion made.

running under maximum is a common overhead saver. They don’t run full capacity when the tradeoff in wait times is within whatever their tolerance is.

that doesn’t mean they intentionally built the ride with less capacity for the sake of monetizing waits. Nor does the idea of running under full capacity mean they are doing it to manipulate people. They often just are just trying to save money (be cheap).

people are talking truths and rearranging them to try to make them cites to support conclusions the information alone doesn’t support.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Are you implying that Genie is good because it does what you're describing, or bad because it fails to do what you're describing?

I think it's obviously the former.
I didn’t say either. Which is why I didn’t name genie in my explanation.

i pointed out that the scenario outlined is not the only way it can happen. It depends on what fhey built. The scenario is not intrinsic to the idea - the problem will depend on their implementation. Which no one knows yet.

but if you think they didn’t forsee that fundamental issue… you be you.

Minnesota disney fan

I am confused just reading all this and trying to "get it".
I thought the 2 paid for rides were for all parks; 2 per day whatever park you want. Say you want ROHR in HS and FOP at AK for your 2 picks of the day? Is it 2 paid rides at each park, or 2 paid rides per day at any park???? I thought it was 2 only anywhere in the parks per day, but I could be wrong.
If we are confused, just imagine how the poor CM's will be having to deal with all the confused and angry guests? I feel bad for them.

jpinkc

WOW JUST WOW, I tried to listen to the Site that will not be named Park Center to try and see if they had any new info on Genie. Talk about a bunch of Pixie Dusters!!! Holy Heck!! Only one of them had the guts to call Disney out on this. The woman that was on there is nothing like the Disney Travel Agent we use. That one was all well just spend more, just spend more!! The lady we book thru is always giving us little tips and tricks over the years. I understand they are invested in wanting to get people to book Disney Vacations, but even our Agent agrees she feels this is pretty scummy move. Hell they even brought up UO and how much it cost to buy there pass system and never mentioned you could stay at the Hard Rock and get it included at a nicer Hotel than the Grand Floridian for Half the Price!!!

runnsally

Walk me through this scenario - I really don't understand how it's supposed to work.

I'm in Liberty Square. I have 5 attractions in my to-do list: 7DMT, Space, Splash, BTMRR, and Pirates. All of the waits are above average because it's 3 pm on New Year's Eve.

What does Genie tell me to do, and when does it want me to do it?
Genie will tell you to sign up for touringplans…yesterday

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom