News Disney Genie digital assistant app coming to Walt Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missing20K

Don't worry. For a small fee, you'll be able to view those zoo animals.
Nothing would surprise me at this point.

“Due to unprecedented guest demand, the Genie will now be granting Wishes to walk amongst the silver backs on the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail”

Edit cuz I didn’t know the correct name

mightynine

I tend to agree, but the phrase “...first taste is free.” keeps coming to mind.
Thing is, that first taste is free can be anything other than fast access to a ride. The Genie could give you 10% off a $50 or more purchase at World of Disney at Disney Springs, for example, as your initial "wish". Or buy one round, get one round free of miniature golf.

Think about all the "magical" extras you get as part of your vacation package for the stores at Disney Springs that might get used sparingly or at all. Those could be your initial "wish" with this app.

There's so many options they could go down without once offering you a free formerly known as Fastpass pass.

Missing20K

Thing is, that first taste is free can be anything other than fast access to a ride. The Genie could give you 10% off a $50 or more purchase at World of Disney at Disney Springs, for example, as your initial "wish". Or buy one round, get one round free of miniature golf.

Think about all the "magical" extras you get as part of your vacation package for the stores at Disney Springs that might get used sparingly or at all. Those could be your initial "wish" with this app.

There's so many options they could go down without once offering you a free formerly known as Fastpass pass.
Genie: I noticed you purchased [item1].

Guest: Why is my phone going off?

Genie: If you enjoyed that [item1] well then you’re in luck. I’m granting you one extra Wish to buy one, get one free [item2 similar item1].

Guest: *puts phone in pocket*

Fin

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But still completely optional. People are fretting like Disney is forcing them. The standby will still be there
question:
When was the last time a wdw park had enough ride capacity to comfortably move through an average days crowd?

I think it was 2012 at the latest

To what extent it will be usable remains to be seen.
You are wise

JakeAZ

When was the last time a wdw park had enough ride capacity to comfortably move through an average days crowd?
Exactly!

It doesn't matter what shell game Disney comes up with. There isn't enough capacity to make it work with current crowd levels.

It is the perfect scenario to start charging for access.

No company is better at creating problems and then offering paid "solutions" to those problems.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly!

It doesn't matter what shell game Disney comes up with. There isn't enough capacity to make it work with current crowd levels.

It is the perfect scenario to start charging for access.

No company is better at creating problems and then offering paid "solutions" to those problems.
And that’s just the thing…

the counter to paid rides…and the $119 ticket everyone forgot is a “ride all day ticket”…is “you don’t have to pay…the lines will still be there”…

at the previous + level of igerian suck? Or worse?

parks must build rides…since 1900…it never changed and never will. Period.
And this is management failure

sup

does this genie thing mean we pay for fastpass even if on property. I dont fully understand this except it appears to have my face in my phone all day.

Jeff4272

I don’t think people need to worry so much about these paid fast passes.

I know the argument will always be that they used to be free, and now they aren’t but it will probably significantly reduce the standby wait times.

UK theme parks like Thorpe Park offer line skipping from $60 - $130 per person per day and have done for years.

I doubt many people take them up but it’s there for those who want to pay, the parks make more money and standby times are always reasonable
Yeah but i liked FP+.......I liked skipping the lines on 3 rides........I dont want to wait 120 mins for FOP

Jeff4272

Disney's intention is to have the majority of people pay to ride. It will be significantly more advanced that the systems you are talking about.
This is what concerns me the most..........You can only have 1 Standby queue at a time.......All the rides you want to go on have standby que so now you will have to pay to get on the other rides or have nothing else to do

This is going to be awful

sup

Chapek needs to tell us soon about fastpass and this genie thing. Looking like a trip to San Antonio six flags and sea world. the alamo and other fun stuff. All wonderful things must end and make room for the trash. See ya Walt Disney, hello Chapek same old theme park,,six flags, busch gardens, dollywood. nothing special or magical. all about the Chapek might buck.

Missing20K

I originally used AK as an example instead of DHS, but AK actually has a lot more to do than DHS because of the animals. You can at least walk around the animal trails there if you can't get on a ride.
“Free animal trails.”

“Free what?”

“Animal trails, sir. It’s called Animal Kingdom. There are walking trails where the guests can view some of the animals.”

“For free?”

“Well…it’s included in the price of admission, sir.”

“Let’s see what the Genie has to say about that”

“Genie, what are the animal trails at Animal Kingdom?”

(in Robin Williams voice) “A lost revenue stream.”

*rimshot*

Last edited:

Jeff4272

The new monetized fast pass. I don’t expect it to happen initially, but wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen if there is resistance early on. Give away some freebies, and then the the kiddies pester their parents into paying for more...
Hmmmmm

Not trying to be mean here but did you not hear Chapek on the eps call last night? It's coming this month and you have to pay....

skypilot2922

I originally used AK as an example instead of DHS, but AK actually has a lot more to do than DHS because of the animals. You can at least walk around the animal trails there if you can't get on a ride.

And some of us with the exception of Kilimanjaro Safari prefer walking around and seeing the animals

Hawkeye_2018

AK is basically is a high priced Zoo. The only 2 'rides' worth doing more than once are Avatar and EE.

It's a great park if you have never been but it needs more rides to make me want to go back

lewisc

Genie: I noticed you purchased [item1].

Guest: Why is my phone going off?

Genie: If you enjoyed that [item1] well then you’re in luck. I’m granting you one extra Wish to buy one, get one free [item2 similar item1].

Guest: *puts phone in pocket*

Fin
I bought a local SIM card in Europe. I was getting texts welcoming me to the store and "alerting" me to items on sale and items I might be interested in buying.

It took a few days until I found the option to turn off this "feature".

You point isn't that far off. Get a free plush, I meant buy a $50 value plush for $9.99, with a purchase over $75.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom