News Disney Genie digital assistant app coming to Walt Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff4272

Standby Pass would only be available once the line hits a certain length. And once you book it, you would not be able to book another Standby Pass until that one is used. If there were so many people holding Standby Passes for ToT that the next window was 3.5 hours away, there certainly couldn't be that many people holding Standby Passes for the other rides. Why would you pick up a Standby Pass for ToT for 3:30 when you could get SDD or RnRC or TSM or MFSR for, say, 1? You wouldn't, and neither would anyone else, which is why this would never happen.

The bottom line is that none of these systems either create or destroy capacity. The same number of people would ride ToT with or without Standby Pass. Thankfully, Standby Pass will be free. The problem is with paid line-management systems, which inevitably cost all guests - either in money or time.
Disney will initiate Standby Pass on busy days early..........Think of this like the old paper fast passes. The popular rides will have very long return times early and it will scale down from there. People will take a Slink Dog return in 3 hours from now instead of TOT 1 hour because of fear of missing out completely On SDD

jpinkc

Also dont forget you can ONLY BE IN ONE STANDBY CUE!!! So if your on that say at 10am with a 3pm return time you cant get another until you use the current standby you have. If I am understanding this correctly. :banghead:

jpinkc

Disney will initiate Standby Pass on busy days early..........Think of this like the old paper fast passes. The popular rides will have very long return times early and it will scale down from there. People will take a Slink Dog return in 3 hours from now instead of TOT 1 hour because of fear of missing out completely On SDD
Standby Pass will be an everyday event. Trust n believe that.

Jeff4272

Is seems to me that we are basically going into virtual queues all day. If HS opens at 9am, I bet the top 3 rides will be in standby pass by 10am and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. People will see it as “busy” and those rides will stay standby pass all day. This will greatly change the way people tour the parks and Disney is counting on people to pay for access

You really want millennium falcon. At 10am return time is 2pm. Most other rides are in standby pass so you can’t get in line for any other of the headliners After 2pm all standby passes are gone so now of you want to ride you have to pay.

that blows.

nickys

Premium Member
don't believe that's accurate. If, e.g., they cap the standby line at 60 minutes, then as more and more people sign up for the Standby Pass the return time would move further and further away. It would only stay exactly the same if they capped the number of people who can sign up for the virtual queue.
I think that’s how it works at DLP? The Standby Return time is available for a while, then it’s turned off until they get those guests that have them through the line. Then they’ll re-open the physical line again until it reaches the threshold - and then the virtual line opens. Etc.
Also dont forget you can ONLY BE IN ONE STANDBY CUE!!! So if your on that say at 10am with a 3pm return time you cant get another until you use the current standby you have. If I am understanding this correctly. :banghead:
You can only be in one virtual standby line at a time, in other words you can only have one return time until that’s used. But you can still stand in a physical stand-by line.

Jeff4272

I think that’s how it works at DLP? The Standby Return time is available for a while, then it’s turned off until they get those guests that have them through the line. Then they’ll re-open the physical line again until it reaches the threshold - and then the virtual line opens. Etc.

You can only be in one virtual standby line at a time, in other words you can only have one return time until that’s used. But you can still stand in a physical stand-by line.
So they will stop allowing you to book standby passes for some rides in the morning? Say millennium falcon is 60 minutes at rope drop so they go to standby pass. How many standby passes will they then allow to be booked?

60 minutes worth? 90 minutes? 120 minutes?

so if that is correct then There will be 3 hours in the morning where I have zero chance of riding if I didn’t get in the physical line or standby pass?

Jeff4272

Problem is, on busy days most of the rides could be in standby pass so you wouldn’t be able to wait in line

UNCgolf

Does it? I didn't know they turned it off once a certain number of people booked one. So there's a period of time where you simply can't queue for certain rides at all? No physical line and no ability to join the virtual queue?

Jeff4272

Does it? I didn't know they turned it off once a certain number of people booked one. So there's a period of time where you can't get in line or enter the virtual queue?
I don’t know for sure but I don’t think that’s how it works. Could be wrong but seems very hard to implement

my guess is once it’s in standbypass they keep allocating them until the line is under 60 mins and that will be never for 75% of the rides in 3 parks

jpinkc

Is seems to me that we are basically going into virtual queues all day. If HS opens at 9am, I bet the top 3 rides will be in standby pass by 10am and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. People will see it as “busy” and those rides will stay standby pass all day. This will greatly change the way people tour the parks and Disney is counting on people to pay for access

You really want millennium falcon. At 10am return time is 2pm. Most other rides are in standby pass so you can’t get in line for any other of the headliners After 2pm all standby passes are gone so now of you want to ride you have to pay.

that blows.
That is exactly what I am thinking and afraid of. My wife and kids will hate me but I dont see any MAGIC in any of this, and I dont think I have it in me to come back if we even go in Nov, with the Covid mess. Its just a CRASS CASH GRAB at the expense of those of us who love WDW. It was my place to go and try and forget the heartbreak and other from work I deal with on a daily basis. Its just a bridge to far. :bawling:

JakeAZ

Anyone see the Christmas Party AH pricing? That should give you an idea of what Disney thinks the market is for expedited ride access right now.

nickys

Premium Member
So they will stop allowing you to book standby passes for some rides in the morning? Say millennium falcon is 60 minutes at rope drop so they go to standby pass. How many standby passes will they then allow to be booked?

60 minutes worth? 90 minutes? 120 minutes?

so if that is correct then There will be 3 hours in the morning where I have zero chance of riding if I didn’t get in the physical line or standby pass?
Depends on what thresholds they set I guess.

The problem is DLP is still operating with reduced capacity and Standby Return times have only been needed for Crush as far as I can see. No other lines are reaching more than 45 minutes to an hour.

But my understanding is that they don’t simply keep adding people to the virtual queue. They tell you when the next “drop” of standby return passes will open up. It may be every 2 hours, and if the standby line clears faster they’ll open up the physical line again.

I said some time ago that I think the system may work pretty well at DLP. However WDW is a whole different story.

skypilot2922

Does it? I didn't know they turned it off once a certain number of people booked one. So there's a period of time where you simply can't queue for certain rides at all? No physical line and no ability to join the virtual queue?

If it did not block the queue how would standby be monetizable?

nickys

Premium Member
I don’t know for sure but I don’t think that’s how it works. Could be wrong but seems very hard to implement

my guess is once it’s in standbypass they keep allocating them until the line is under 60 mins and that will be never for 75% of the rides in 3 parks
It’s only been used for one ride so far at DLP.

I have the app, but running out of time to follow throughout the day. But I’m fairly sure that at times you cannot join the VQ and the app tells what time the next drop of passes will be at.

Which means that there are times that Crush is completely closed to new guests (because the Premier Access is not enabled for the ride).

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I tried to warn you all this was coming after Disneyland's announcement of Magic Key. But you laughed at me and thought WDW was not going to change its way of doing things.
Errr we’ve been talking about it for years?
1628894679380.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom