News Disney Genie digital assistant app coming to Walt Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missing20K

There's actually an argument that they will still be better off even if there is a strong backlash against no free FastPasses. Then they can just pivot and say, "We've heard you loud and clear, and we're making this change in response to your feedback!" and offer one free one (with restrictions to ensure all the popular rides aren't booked as I mentioned above). They'll look like the good guys to the general public for listening and responding to their guests.
I don’t think they even have to go that far. They can just say…

“Due to unprecedented guest feedback, Disney Imagineers have bequeathed the Genie with a new lamp to grant even more Wishes. Just ask the Genie and your Wish is granted. Whether a romantic dinner for two, a timeless boat ride, heart-pounding thrills for adrenaline junkies, or meeting your favorite Disney characters, the Genie and his new lamp will give each guest even more Wishes to make your vacation dreams come true.

More family, more timeless, more Wishes, more Disney.”

RSoxNo1

Bob is super excited about Genie.

"Essentially it is going to take the consumer preferences that we note from our consumers, given what we note from them and blend that with basically industrial engineering data in terms of how the park is operating that day and meld them together to make suggestions on the fly that not only will lead to the improved guest experience and lead to substantial commercial opportunities for us as the guest navigates their days"
Paging senator Ed Markey... senator Ed Markey?

RSoxNo1

He did say multi-tiered, so I think you will see things something along the lines of the following tiers with the least to best:

1. Day/Multi-Day Guest
  2. DVC/Annual Pass Holders
  3. Resort Guests
  4. Resort Guests with DVC/Annual Passes
Within each of those tiers, I would suspect there would be additional tiers, as follows:
  1. Free
  2. Silver - $
  3. Gold - $$
  4. Platinum - $$$
Obviously again, best to worst on the benefits. This is just a guess, an educated guess, but a guess none the less.
Consider the question, "How much does a 1 day ticket cost to Walt Disney World?" There are at least 30 correct answers to that question. You're not making this complicated enough.

JakeAZ

Only question was if resort people would get some benefit
They have to right? right? anyone???

Joking aside, I think they'd be crazy not to include some type of (tiered?) on-site benefit. If I have the same options staying off-site, at the same prices, as those staying on-site, I might as well stay off-site. I can save money on the hotel and use the savings to maximize my rides.

Of course, they could also just give on-site the shaft after already blessing Deluxe with 4 whole hours per week of extra park time...with 0 hours being at the parks with the rides with the longest daytime lines....

I guess we'll find out soon.

Jeff4272

They have to right? right? anyone???

Joking aside, I think they'd be crazy not to include some type of (tiered?) on-site benefit. If I have the same options staying off-site, at the same prices, as those staying on-site, I might as well stay off-site. I can save money on the hotel and use the savings to maximize my rides.

Of course, they could also just give on-site the shaft after already blessing Deluxe with 4 whole hours per week of extra park time...with 0 hours being at the parks with the rides with the longest daytime lines....

I guess we'll find out soon.
I highly doubt they will and i think that will be a mistake on their part...........

Only way I can see it is pricing for FP, for eg.....

Resort guests pay $50 per person, per day for 3 FP
Non Resort guests pay $75 per person, per day for 3 FP

JakeAZ

Resort guests pay $50 per person, per day for 3 FP
Non Resort guests pay $75 per person, per day for 3 FP
I hope it's something like this where you can buy a set number or a package. I am really dreading having my emotions played on all throughout the trip.

"Genie can hear your kids whining. Why not purchase this $25pp instant access to SDMT?"

Indy_UK

I don’t think people need to worry so much about these paid fast passes.

I know the argument will always be that they used to be free, and now they aren’t but it will probably significantly reduce the standby wait times.

UK theme parks like Thorpe Park offer line skipping from $60 - $130 per person per day and have done for years.

I doubt many people take them up but it’s there for those who want to pay, the parks make more money and standby times are always reasonable

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

I know the argument will always be that they used to be free, and now they aren’t but it will probably significantly reduce the standby wait times.

UK theme parks like Thorpe Park offer line skipping from $60 - $130 per person per day and have done for years.

I doubt many people take them up but it’s there for those who want to pay, the parks make more money and standby times are always reasonable
Disney's intention is to have the majority of people pay to ride. It will be significantly more advanced that the systems you are talking about.

JakeAZ

If Disney priced out something similar to Universal (at Disney prices), I would tend to agree with you. But they can't do it that way because most wouldn't buy it. It appears they are going to go the "per ride" route. It's not so much the money that will bother me. I am always happy to pay for convenience, if I see value in it. I just don't want to be nagged throughout the trip about little up-charges that will really add up.

Indy_UK

Disney's intention is to have the majority of people pay to ride. It will be significantly more advanced that the systems you are talking about.

But still completely optional. People are fretting like Disney is forcing them. The standby will still be there

JakeAZ

To what extent it will be usable remains to be seen.
Yep

From what I've read, once the standby line fills up, you'll have to get a return time...to get in line. While you are in the app getting your return time, all the paid options will of course be there...to help speed things up.

UNCgolf

But still completely optional. People are fretting like Disney is forcing them. The standby will still be there

If most of the top rides go to the standby pass virtual queue, it won't be, especially since you can only be in one at once.

If it's noon and you're at Hollywood Studios and have a standby pass for Tower of Terror at 3:30, and Slinky Dog, Smugglers Run, Star Tours, MMRR, and Rock N Roller Coaster have also all activated the standby pass system... you don't have a ton of options left for how to spend those 3 and a half hours.

At first glance that seems like less of an issue at the Magic Kingdom. However, if all the headliners there are in standby pass mode, it will just push everyone to the lesser attractions and you'll end up with very long lines for rides like Winnie the Pooh and Little Mermaid because people have nowhere else to go.

Last edited:

Missing20K

If most of the top rides go to the standby pass virtual queue, it won't be, especially since you can only be in one at once.

If it's noon and you're at Hollywood Studios and have a standby pass for Tower of Terror at 3:30, and Slinky Dog, Smugglers Run, Star Tours, MMRR, and Rock N Roller Coaster have also all activated the standby pass system... you don't have a ton of options left for how to spend those 3 and a half hours.

At first glance that seems like less of an issue at the Magic Kingdom. However, if all the headliners there are in standby pass mode, it will just push everyone to the lesser attractions and you'll end up with very long lines for rides like Winnie the Pooh and Little Mermaid because people have nowhere else to go.
AK would be a nightmare. If it ends up like this it will actually become a high priced zoo with some rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom