Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

MouseEarsMom33

Disney was pressured into giving up the park reservation system, which was a huge benefit to them as they could see exactly where people were going to be ahead of time.

Disney has found a new way of having the reservation system, without people realizing they are using a reservation system!

The new system is great for Disney. It gives them so much more data on upcoming park days for staffing etc. The same data they lost when they scrapped the reservations.
What's interesting if you think about it, Disney probably had better data with Fastpass+ that would have been very close to reservations. It wouldn't have been limited to those that paid money for it and Disney had the data 30 days in advance for most people.

They essentially already had a reservation system in place. They just needed to replace it when implementing Genie+, so they rolled out the actual reservation system..

easyrowrdw

Yes:

When staying at Disney Resort hotels or other select hotels, Guests can purchase Lightning Lane passes—and choose experiences and arrival windows—starting 7 days before the first day of their Resort stay, for their length of stay (up to 14 days).

This early-planning benefit is available to registered Guests staying at:
  • Disney Resort hotels
  • Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel
  • Walt Disney World Swan Hotel
  • Walt Disney World Swan Reserve
  • Shades of Green Resort

As someone who stays at Disney hotels, it’d be nice if this was the final list. And if their hotels are underbooked maybe they should stop extending perks to non-Disney hotel guests.

Jrb1979

I was in meetings all day yesterday and took the family to see The Lion King last night.

A few notes.

They (rightfully) abandoned the Genie+ brand, as it was horrendously unpopular. Of course, people hated it because it was hard to use and cost extra - both true of the new system as well - but the double branding of the same system was always stupid. "No no, you have to *buy* Genie+™ to get into the LightningLanes™. Yes I know your phone says you already have Genie™, but that's different than Genie+™.

The longer window for onsite hotel guests - and yes this will absolutely be extended to Good Neighbor and "other great accommodations" who buy into participation - isn't just about a 4 day head start. It means that they are back to two "pools" of availability. They managed this pretty well in the FP+ days (given its limitations), and this should prove to a decent onsite benefit... even though you have to pay for it.

With this fixed, I do expect to the LightningLane option to be used as an inclusion in certain promotions going forward.

Removing the M&Gs from the system altogether will absolutely help balance those into "normal" paced lines. Welcome news.
I do get the reasoning behind the change as it can be confusing. To change it back to a system that didn't work before isn't the answer. I guess when you a desperate for on site guests this is what you end up with.

They don't have to capacity for this to work.

Dranth

The phycological impact is lessened because you made that decision 7+ days ago. You're not going to get a park full of power users all of the sudden.
No, but you don't need a full park of them. Disney has an absurd number of power users already. G+ was the most "fair" system they have used since the parks were standby only. The only requirement was being able to wake up and even then you were okay if you didn't get in the app first thing. It still needed some tweaking, but this shifts the advantage further into power user territory. While that could be great for all of us that know what we are doing, it isn't going to work well for everyone else.

The fact that it is limited to only those who are willing to pay (which I think will be a TON of people) and that no rerides are allowed could keep it from turning into the same mess that was FP+ for non-power users but I still think they are making it more complicated than it needed to be.

I don’t give a mouse’s behind what is terrible for Disney. It works better for me personally to book in advance. I don’t need to or intend to tour parks commando style where ride count is my top goal. I go for more days but spend less time in the parks each day any way.
We also go for a bit longer with less hours in the parks, a habit we picked up because we got sick of everyone with longer stays taking all the FP+ inventory before we could even make a selection. All they really needed was a simple tweak to G+ allowing you to pick your first ride and selecting the time a week out. That would solve the issue with waking up early during vacation with significantly less drain on available inventory before the park even opens.

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

Sounds like Disney is trying to reinflate the Disney Bubble. Likely in response, in part, to Epic Universe.

Disney understands that Universal is about to become a full weeks vacation destination. This has never been the case before, generally, as stated by Universal themselves. The last thing Disney wants is people starting to more evenly split thei to vacation time between them and Universal or to have people skip Disney all together.

So this change is part of their response, and it's a good one. I expect more changes like this and other things to be announced this year.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

Disstevefan1

Sounds like Disney is trying to reinflate the Disney Bubble. Likely in response, in part, to Epic Universe.

Disney understands that Universal is about to become a full weeks vacation destination. This has never been the case before, generally, as stated by Universal themselves. The last thing Disney wants is people starting to more evenly split thei to vacation time between them and Universal or to have people skip Disney all together.

So this change is part of their response, and it's a good one. I expect more changes like this and other things to be announced this year.
After 2025, I think Folks may be adding a day or two of Disney on to their USF/IOA/EPIC vacation.

Last edited:

Yodascousin

I’ve used both express and nord vpn before when booking location-locked things on the WDW app, from the UK. Both have worked well, so will likely be fine for this system too. I would just recommend getting whichever VPN offers the best introductory deal!

Will it work on iPhone? People from uk all saying it won’t work as it’s an in app purchase and the VPN can’t work around it apparently it’s the same issue if you were to try and buy genie plus from uk currently

Dan Deesnee

After 2025, I think Folks may be adding a day or two of Disney on to their UOR/IOA/EPIC vacation.

That is a definite possibility. I also think Universal will have another park under construction by 2030. May even be completed by around that time. IF they do build another park better or at least on the level of Epic Universe, Disney better have some major firepower ready to compete.

They've stripped so much away in the past 10 years, and got away with it. But not anymore.

Bringing fast passes back is a good start, but they need to do a lot more.

LittleBuford

Will it work on iPhone? People from uk all saying it won’t work as it’s an in app purchase and the VPN can’t work around it apparently it’s the same issue if you were to try and buy genie plus from uk currently
I’ve used it on my iPhone while in the UK to make purchases on Mercari, which won’t work properly without a US IP address. My guess is that it would also work for the Disney app—but it is just a guess.

If anyone wants a referral code, PM me.

Disstevefan1

That is a definite possibility. I also think Universal will have another park under construction by 2030. May even be completed by around that time. IF they do build another park better or at least on the level of Epic Universe, Disney better have some major firepower ready to compete.

They've stripped so much away in the past 10 years, and got away with it. But not anymore.

Bringing fast passes back is a good start, but they need to do a lot more.

As much as we want Disney do more at WDW right now, I think Disney thinks its cheaper for Disney to do nothing and as the defending champ, play "rope a dope" and hope Universal punches themselves out.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Stayed at Beach Club last week and chatted with first timers. Talked about Genie+ and LL (at the time) and how they felt they weren’t getting there $$s worth. Then talked to them about the old FP+ system and how it was complimentary.

I felt like a living meme when I saw the looks on their faces (think “sure grandma/grandpa let’s get you to bed).

I miss the days when the biggest controversy were the attraction tiers for FP+

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom