Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

James J

In the Parks
No
Nope it’s been confirmed international guests will have to wait until they arrive in the US
Where? What's the source?

If true it's a horrendous oversight for all international guests. I notice the FAQ on the UK version of the WDW site is pretty much a blank page at the moment, so wonder if there's some stuff to still be worked out.

LittleBuford

Yes:

When staying at Disney Resort hotels or other select hotels, Guests can purchase Lightning Lane passes—and choose experiences and arrival windows—starting 7 days before the first day of their Resort stay, for their length of stay (up to 14 days).

This early-planning benefit is available to registered Guests staying at:
  • Disney Resort hotels
  • Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel
  • Walt Disney World Swan Hotel
  • Walt Disney World Swan Reserve
  • Shades of Green Resort

I wonder if this list will be expanded to include some of the non-Disney hotels that used to benefit from 60-day advance FP bookings.

nickys

Premium Member
Good to hear, thank you. The start date on our tickets is actually a week before we get to the parks, so if I’m correct, we should be able to book a lightning lane pass for those days even earlier than if we were staying at a resort - if not at the same time, 7 days ahead.
It’s possible. Normally it would be 3 days before your start date on the tickets.

But because it only begins on the 24th it might be that becomes the “start date” and it’s 7 or 3 days before then.

Splash4eva

Disney is actually the most affordable version I have seen of this, compared to Universal (I get it's a better system, but it is expensive when you add it on top of tickets for a family) and local theme parks in my area

If you want to compare systems compare Uni vs Disneys “Plaid VIP” tour system that truly is the best way to do it & then tell me how affordable it is … granted. I still think Genie is well now was worth the money as i was able to do almost everything strictly via Gene/ILL i have a bad feeling with this new version of the we dont have enough capacity lets rename and charge more game Disney plays it will not be that easy

UK Disney

Agree it’s horrible it has been confirmed plus what makes it worse is that you can only book via the app so I don’t think even a VPN would work
The VPN functions well when used through the app. We have successfully booked dessert parties using it in the past without any problems. However, I am hesitant to rely solely on the VPN. It is so frustrating, I don't get this policy at all.

Splash4eva

Yes everyone in the world thinks like you. Amazing how samey the world is.
In fairness. I dont know anyone who goes there as a newbie who does not say almost immediately how expensive it was and pretty much everyone who is a “regular” says the same thing about how prices just keep rising with slightly less sticker shock due to the semi frequent visits

James J

In the Parks
No
It took them weeks to get info up about DAS.

It will be available though. I think the post was based on crazy speculation!
Fingers crossed! I've read some posts on another site where people are saying they've spoken to their TA who has spoken to Disney, who confirmed you have to be on US soil to make a booking. Hopefully it's just a bunch of mixed messages though!

Yodascousin

If true it's a horrendous oversight for all international guests. I notice the FAQ on the UK version of the WDW site is pretty much a blank page at the moment, so wonder if there's some stuff to still be worked out.
Someone asked a cast member on online chat on the uk boards will see if can upload

Splash4eva

Whats the reasoning why UK visitors would have to wait? Is it some tech issue they cant figure out?

DCBaker

Premium Member

It took them weeks to get info up about DAS.

It will be available though. I think the post was based on crazy speculation!

See here:

When can international guests purchase Lightning Lanes?

They can purchase Lightning Lane passes and make selections upon arrival into the United States.

As for the why of this, it’s probably not because Walt Disney World hates international guests. Although it might seem that way on this one particular issue, Walt Disney World actually loves guests from outside the United States. They’re more of a captive audience, have higher per guest spending metrics, and typically do longer stays. This is why we routinely refer to British guests as Walt Disney World’s “whales” (non-derogatory).

Walt Disney World has not offered an official explanation (and probably never will), but our best guess is that it’s a matter of law. I don’t know what law, but there are a lot of laws in the EU and elsewhere with which US companies do not want to comply, so the “solution” is simply not offering access in those markets.

That’s probably an unsatisfying explanation, but it’s likely the reason why. This means there probably won’t be resolution to this problem in the weeks and months to come, as it’s deliberate rather than accidental. With that said, this also means that Walt Disney World probably doesn’t care if you use VPNs and other techniques to side step this “rule.” (Not that we’re endorsing rule-breaking…but we aren’t not endorsing it here, either.)

James J

In the Parks
No
See here:

They can purchase Lightning Lane passes and make selections upon arrival into the United States.

As for the why of this, it’s probably not because Walt Disney World hates international guests. Although it might seem that way on this one particular issue, Walt Disney World actually loves guests from outside the United States. They’re more of a captive audience, have higher per guest spending metrics, and typically do longer stays. This is why we routinely refer to British guests as Walt Disney World’s “whales” (non-derogatory).

Walt Disney World has not offered an official explanation (and probably never will), but our best guess is that it’s a matter of law. I don’t know what law, but there are a lot of laws in the EU and elsewhere with which US companies do not want to comply, so the “solution” is simply not offering access in those markets.

That’s probably an unsatisfying explanation, but it’s likely the reason why. This means there probably won’t be resolution to this problem in the weeks and months to come, as it’s deliberate rather than accidental. With that said, this also means that Walt Disney World probably doesn’t care if you use VPNs and other techniques to side step this “rule.” (Not that we’re endorsing rule-breaking…but we aren’t not endorsing it here, either.)

Ah, thanks for that. VPN it'll be then - will have to find which one works best if we choose to use the new system, unless anybody has a recommendation?

UK Disney

See here:

Thanks for this information. I understand that it is still early days and the enforcement of the VPN rule may vary. For instance, we were previously able to order magic bands upon arrival using VPN but now we cannot due to the address requirement. I am curious to see how this will affect international guests.

georgep148

July 24 will be the first day you can use the new system, including booking that day and the remaining days of your trip.
I figured this might be the case. Going to be a mad morning on the 24th as everyone tries to book lightning lanes for the coming week, then. Can’t really tell if this would be advantageous for us, if we plan ahead and get the details right, or if it will end up being a nightmare either way with teething problems for the system.

Yodascousin

The VPN functions well when used through the app. We have successfully booked dessert parties using it in the past without any problems. However, I am hesitant to rely solely on the VPN. It is so frustrating, I don't get this policy at all.
How? I have iPhone and to use the app have to have location settings on so it doesn’t work

georgep148

Ah, thanks for that. VPN it'll be then - will have to find which one works best if we choose to use the new system, unless anybody has a recommendation?
I’ve used both express and nord vpn before when booking location-locked things on the WDW app, from the UK. Both have worked well, so will likely be fine for this system too. I would just recommend getting whichever VPN offers the best introductory deal!

UK Disney

How? I have iPhone and to use the app have to have location settings on so it doesn’t work
I'm not sure about iPhones, but when I open the app with my location turned off, I receive a message asking if I want to enable location services. I just select no thanks.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240626_121110_Google Play services.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240626_121110_Google Play services.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 20

bwr827

20 pages of discussion from 1152 to 1172. Anyone on this forum is basically a "Disney Pro". If we can't figure it out, they're hoping your average guest can?
Because it was announced just a few hours ago, at your time of posting.

Soon (if not already), there’ll be many online guides and YouTube explainers. Anyone who cares to plan will be able to figure this out.

PREMiERdrum

I was in meetings all day yesterday and took the family to see The Lion King last night.

A few notes.

They (rightfully) abandoned the Genie+ brand, as it was horrendously unpopular. Of course, people hated it because it was hard to use and cost extra - both true of the new system as well - but the double branding of the same system was always stupid. "No no, you have to *buy* Genie+™ to get into the LightningLanes™. Yes I know your phone says you already have Genie™, but that's different than Genie+™.

The longer window for onsite hotel guests - and yes this will absolutely be extended to Good Neighbor and "other great accommodations" who buy into participation - isn't just about a 4 day head start. It means that they are back to two "pools" of availability. They managed this pretty well in the FP+ days (given its limitations), and this should prove to a decent onsite benefit... even though you have to pay for it.

With this fixed, I do expect to the LightningLane option to be used as an inclusion in certain promotions going forward.

Removing the M&Gs from the system altogether will absolutely help balance those into "normal" paced lines. Welcome news.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom