Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

MagicHappens1971

Sorry yes 100% agree with that. I was challenging the idea that selling less G+ would help the standby move faster.
Gotcha, my bad there.

To be honest the G+/FP+ debacle that erupted out of MyMagic+ can never be "fixed" by the routes they are trying. The sole reason FP+ exists is because they thought they could spend ~1.5B on new tech and basically never have to expand the parks again. We've discussed this at nauseam, but its the truth. The number of legacy FP attractions vs FP+ into G+ attractions is vastly higher. It's all "capacity management", selling less G+ and having less LL's issued could very well bring down Standby times, the problem with the transition from FP+ to G+, is that G+ should not also have this long list of attractions to choose from, but now that they're selling a "product", they NEED the avaibility.

The only way to ever solve this problem is true added capacity to the theme parks.

Laketravis

It's all "capacity management", selling less G+ and having less LL's issued could very well bring down Standby times, the problem with the transition from FP+ to G+, is that G+ should not also have this long list of attractions to choose from, but now that they're selling a "product", they NEED the avaibility.

The only way to ever solve this problem is true added capacity to the theme parks.

To be technically correct, it's called Yield Management and I've been screaming that for over 12 years now after being a beta tester and focus group participant for FP+ and learning what the end game was.

Bastet

Genie+ is not the only cause of the issues. A finite number of LL is issued for each hour and is possibly the same as the old fastpass+ number. Inceased use of DAS, legitimate or otherwise is just as responsible for the standby issues as @lentesta has said

nickys

Premium Member

Man I wish Disney just did ultimate fast pass like in Paris or did express pass similar to Universal. Who actually wants to stand in line for this ride?

DLP have changed their fastpass system.
There’s now Premier Access. You either buy it for the day giving you one ride on each attraction - but it’s more than the cost of a day ticket. Or buy it for individual attractions with a return time of 5-10 minutes usually (shows you book for a specific time).

John park hopper

Genie + is such a scam-- Disney runs attractions at half capacity, reduced staff thus artificially increasing wait times forcing people to buy Genie while driving up the price. Disney's greed knows no bounds.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Genie + is such a scam-- Disney runs attractions at half capacity, reduced staff thus artificially increasing wait times forcing people to buy Genie while driving up the price. Disney's greed knows no bounds.

There's no way that your statement of fact is true
How is Peter Pan running at half capacity? Are they loading every other ride vehicle on purpose?
While I agree with the intent of the poster’s assertions, his opinion is based on things he has read, not personal experience.

As someone with personal experience, there have been times (not always) where attraction capacity has been halved during busy days. A shortage of labor - whether intentional or not - is real. Genie+ does increase standby wait times more than FP+ (again, lots of personal experience).

As for Peter Pan (or any attraction) a ride breakdown compounds the problem. We got in line for PP recently (during parade time) when the posted wait was 35 minutes. Our actual wait was well over an hour, due to ride being down at some point earlier in the day and all the guests with LLs (that they couldn’t use during the temporary closure) showed up after the parade.

So while wait times can be inflated, we’ve also experienced the opposite. And not just at PP.

I hate Genie and would prefer standby only, everyone with equal access.

But greed no longer allows that.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
While I agree with the intent of the poster’s assertions, his opinion is based on things he has read, not personal experience.

As someone with personal experience, there have been times (not always) where attraction capacity has been halved during busy days. A shortage of labor - whether intentional or not - is real. Genie+ does increase standby wait times more than FP+ (again, lots of personal experience).

As for Peter Pan (or any attraction) a ride breakdown compounds the problem. We got in line for PP recently (during parade time) when the posted wait was 35 minutes. Our actual wait was well over an hour, due to ride being down at some point earlier in the day and all the guests with LLs (that they couldn’t use during the temporary closure) showed up after the parade.

So while wait times can be inflated, we’ve also experienced the opposite. And not just at PP.

I hate Genie and would prefer standby only, everyone with equal access.

But greed no longer allows that.
Can you imagine the outrage if Apple intentionally slowed the performance of iPhones to ensure existing users would buy new replacement ones because the experience became so terrible, but initially denied it, then claimed that it was to improve battery performance?

Oh wait they did, and were sued by several states and eventually settled.

Doesn't G+ and ILL sound kinda similar? Maybe someone at the Florida AG can do something useful with Disney?

RSoxNo1

Man I wish Disney just did ultimate fast pass like in Paris or did express pass similar to Universal. Who actually wants to stand in line for this ride?

The visuals are easy to post. What's very likely is that there was either downtime on the road, or the Genie+ wait was less than 10 minutes despite the bad visuals.

Remember the sub 30 minute standby waits for things like Big Thunder during COVID when the queue was backed up to the River's of America waterfront pathway.

We live now in a world where words and data mean a lot less than visuals.

Purduevian

I do know that Disney sometimes only loads 1 side of Big Thunder during slowish times. I only saw this when the standby line was less than 20 minutes though near the end of a night

At Disneyland, big thunder actually does this every morning. Fresh Baked rope drop videos at Disneyland even give the advice not to go to big thunder until at least 45 minutes after park open due to the sluggish line. Although at Disneyland, Big thunder is probably behind Rise, Space, Peter Pan, Indiana Jones, MMRR?, and Matterhorn on rope drop priority. At MK it is really only behind 7D, Space, Jungle cruise and Peter Pan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom