Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

_caleb

In my opinion, the parks are too expensive. To me, the nickel and diming (more like $20-$50ing) makes a Disney vacation feel gross. Even when I have a good time at the parks, I leave feeling ripped off and taken advantage of. Genie+ only makes it worse, because it costs me more money while giving me more work and less control over how I spend my vacation.

JohnD

Interesting how the multi-park G+ sells out but the individuals don't. I wonder how many purchase G+ separately for two different parks? That would be more $$$ to Disney. What's the point of purchasing PH if you can't use the G+ at the multi-park price? You're better off at 1 park per day.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Interesting how the multi-park G+ sells out but the individuals don't. I wonder how many purchase G+ separately for two different parks? That would be more $$$ to Disney. What's the point of purchasing PH if you can't use the G+ at the multi-park price? You're better off at 1 park per day.
It’s likely to help discourage park hopping

pdude81

Well G+ is often much more valuable for your second park than the first, so it's not unreasonable to rope drop one park and G+ a second. I also don't expect the app would allow purchasing each park separately on the same day, as they would need to code in two different "windows" for pass reservation. Have never tried that before so I don't know for sure.

Purduevian

Not sure if this is relevant, but you are blocked from buying the multi-park G+ is you don't have park hoppers. I know it seems like why would anyone try to do that? However, I wasn't sure if we were going to upgrade to hoppers until we knew how my 10 month old was doing on the first park day.

JohnD

Not sure if this is relevant, but you are blocked from buying the multi-park G+ is you don't have park hoppers. I know it seems like why would anyone try to do that? However, I wasn't sure if we were going to upgrade to hoppers until we knew how my 10 month old was doing on the first park day.
I'm going with a family of 3 in March. We're doing one park per day. It makes it easy for us to purchase G+ for the park we want. I also told them we're waking up before 7:00am (approx 6:45) every morning for VQ where needed and to purchase G+/ILL. Previously, I just did the VQ thing at 7am and purchased G+/ILL when I got around to it. On my previous trip I realized what a mistake that was. I'm finding out, along with the family, the amount of pre-planning and hoops you need to jump through to take the most advantage of the trip.

Purduevian

I'm going with a family of 3 in March. We're doing one park per day. It makes it easy for us to purchase G+ for the park we want. I also told them we're waking up before 7:00am (approx 6:45) every morning for VQ where needed and to purchase G+/ILL. Previously, I just did the VQ thing at 7am and purchased G+/ILL when I got around to it. On my previous trip I realized what a mistake that was. I'm finding out, along with the family, the amount of pre-planning and hoops you need to jump through to take the most advantage of the trip.
It is very possible for just 1 person to do VQ, LL, and ILL if the whole family doesn't get up. Priorities are VQ>G+>ILL. Also there is a ton of movement in the first 10 mins on G+, book the attraction you want then spend ~3 mins modifying to what you want.

When we went to EPCOT I managed to get Guardians VQ, then got a noon Remy LL. After like 2 refreshes I moved that noon Remy to 10 mins after opening.

JohnD

It is very possible for just 1 person to do VQ, LL, and ILL if the whole family doesn't get up. Priorities are VQ>G+>ILL. Also there is a ton of movement in the first 10 mins on G+, book the attraction you want then spend ~3 mins modifying to what you want.

When we went to EPCOT I managed to get Guardians VQ, then got a noon Remy LL. After like 2 refreshes I moved that noon Remy to 10 mins after opening.
Regarding G+ and ILL, we're splitting costs. They're a family of 3. I'm a "family" of 1. My understanding is that each family purchases their own G+ but only one person needs to schedule for the "Family and Friends" that are going. As for ILL, one person is responsible for cost of the whole group in the purchase. So it's either me who purchases for all four or one of them. Correct? I'm erring on the side of my doing everything, then they just reimburse me 75% of the cost for ILL. (We're each responsible for our G+ costs).

Brian

February is the month of price hikes, traditionally. I'm sure we can expect a $2-3 increase in parking any day now, because those lots are so expensive to staff and maintain.
I know you meant the latter part of your post in jest, and I'm in no way trying to justify the ridiculous parking price, but parking host/hostesses make $17/hour now, and $18/hour starting in December. That's really not cheap, all things considered.

Labor costs have risen substantially with the new STCU contract, and while I'm in no way suggesting they can't afford it at the current prices, we know they'll pass those increased costs onto the guests.

Purduevian

Regarding G+ and ILL, we're splitting costs. They're a family of 3. I'm a "family" of 1. My understanding is that each family purchases their own G+ but only one person needs to schedule for the "Family and Friends" that are going. As for ILL, one person is responsible for cost of the whole group in the purchase. So it's either me who purchases for all four or one of them. Correct? I'm erring on the side of my doing everything, then they just reimburse me 75% of the cost for ILL. (We're each responsible for our G+ costs).
I'm not quite sure on splitting up the purchasing... however I do know you can control the plans of anyone in your friends/family list (even if you aren't on the trip with them).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I know you meant the latter part of your post in jest, and I'm in no way trying to justify the ridiculous parking price, but parking host/hostesses make $17/hour now, and $18/hour starting in December. That's really not cheap, all things considered.

Labor costs have risen substantially with the new STCU contract, and while I'm in no way suggesting they can't afford it at the current prices, we know they'll pass those increased costs onto the guests.

I only hope Disney can somehow manage to park 10-15 cars per hour in each lot, at $30/car, to pay the staff. ;)

"Labor costs have risen, so prices must go up to cover that increase, plus an extra 50% of that amount, to compensate! We have a dividend to pay now, dammit!!" - Bob & Josh

JohnD

I'm not quite sure on splitting up the purchasing... however I do know you can control the plans of anyone in your friends/family list (even if you aren't on the trip with them).
That I do know. For our sake, I'm going to err on the side of my scheduling everything. We'll just handle reimbursement amongst ourselves after the fact.

Brian

I only hope Disney can somehow manage to park 10-15 cars per hour in each lot, at $30/car, to pay the staff. ;)

"Labor costs have risen, so prices must go up to cover that increase, plus an extra 50% of that amount, to compensate! We have a dividend to pay now, dammit!!" - Bob & Josh
They are used to making a certain profit on parking (and all the other revenue generators), and when that is disrupted by an increase in labor costs, they will seek to bring in more revenue to make up for it.

nickys

Premium Member
You are correct that whoever books the ILLs will pay for everyone. You could also do that for G+ or have the other family buy it just after midnight if you’re late to bed.

So no need for everyone to be up at 6:45am. I used to get up, sit in the bathroom, book the LLs / ILLs / VQs and go back to bed afterwards!

JohnD

You are correct that whoever books the ILLs will pay for everyone. You could also do that for G+ or have the other family buy it just after midnight if you’re late to bed.

So no need for everyone to be up at 6:45am. I used to get up, sit in the bathroom, book the LLs / ILLs / VQs and go back to bed afterwards!
We'll be with an 8 year old. Odds are we'll be back to our room within an hour or so after Fantasmic or fireworks. We'll just have to play the late night strategy by ear.

CJ2

Can anyone tell me if the rides go down at Disney do they refund G+? I have seen when 2 or 3 rides went down at the same time and did come back up before we left the park.

Eric Graham

Can anyone tell me if the rides go down at Disney do they refund G+? I have seen when 2 or 3 rides went down at the same time and did come back up before we left the park.
Sometimes we've been there and they give you another ride option.. But, you have to address it with the ride, or go to guest services.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom