Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Purduevian

Friday before Christmas 12:30pm update of all ILL/LL that are showing past 6pm (just based on my app)

Magic Kingdom:
Peter Pan 6:10PM
Jingle Cruise 8:00PM
7 Dwarf: 9:40PM

EPCOT:
Frozen: Sold Out
RAT: Sold Out
Test Track: Sold Out
Guardians: 6:40pm

Hollywood Studios:
SDD: Sold Out
ROTR: Sold Out
TOT: Sold Out
MFSR: 7:20PM

Animal Kingdom:
FOP: Sold Out

Honestly pretty shocked at how well G+ is holding up today...

_caleb

They do not show different wait times to different people. The system that posts wait times to electronic queue signage is the same system sending the wait time to the app. They can not intentionally send a different wait time to one and not the other. However, the different systems update and refresh at different rates which is what causes the perceived discrepancies. This can cause the in park signage to not always align with the app and sometimes even not align app to app. For example guests using iPhones vs androids will see wait times refresh at different rates.
I don’t believe this is entirely accurate. There is an algorithm working in the background—it’s not just laggy reporting.
Resort rates are also not variable. There are documented tariff cards that outline what the rack rate for every day of the year for each individual room type would be. They do not change. For example The rack rate for a non preferred standard view room, with two queen beds at port Orleans on June 1 will be the same for everyone. Different guests and types of guests may have access to discounts and promotions that may lower the price. Additionally when you think you’re seeing different prices it’s usually because it’s quoting you for a different room category.
Correct, the actual listed rate for a room is not variable. It’s the “discounts and promotions that may lower the price” bit I’m talking about (and, as you mention, the room categories they suggest).

Guys, I’m not talking about some grand conspiracy here where Disney is watching you and jacking up the prices if they think you’re a sucker. I’m saying the MDE/Genie uses and collects lots of data to show different information than what others might see. Disney literally tells us this in its Privacy Policy.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I don’t believe this is entirely accurate. There is an algorithm working in the background—it’s not just laggy reporting.

Correct, the actual listed rate for a room is not variable. It’s the “discounts and promotions that may lower the price” bit I’m talking about (and, as you mention, the room categories they suggest).

Guys, I’m not talking about some grand conspiracy here where Disney is watching you and jacking up the prices if they think you’re a sucker. I’m saying the MDE/Genie uses and collects lots of data to show different information than what others might see. Disney literally tells us this in its Privacy Policy.
Genie was designed to recommend different attractions to people based on crowds at the times but it doesn’t alter wait times to different people

JoeCamel

You are assigning a whole bunch of tech ability to a company that can't provide a stress free way to buy stuff from them. It would be Tom's dream and what Bob bought if it really worked that way but sadly it is a kluge and only the next latest/greatest excuse for a system will replace it.
I wonder if the Ukrainian's are done fighting their war yet so they can get back to programming for American companies? They are really good at it

_caleb

You are assigning a whole bunch of tech ability to a company that can't provide a stress free way to buy stuff from them. It would be Tom's dream and what Bob bought if it really worked that way but sadly it is a kluge and only the next latest/greatest excuse for a system will replace it.
I wonder if the Ukrainian's are done fighting their war yet so they can get back to programming for American companies? They are really good at it
I never said they've implemented it well

Jrb1979

All I know this virtual queue system no matter what they call it doesn't work. Their obsession with crowd control and data is insane. I know attendance has a lot to do with that but Universal has high attendance too but they don't make visiting parks as complicated.

lazyboy97o

I am NOT a fan of Genie or Genie+, but I don’t think people are aware of how much data the app uses and how much it is capable of.

Some of you jump on the app to see availability. You should know that what you see on Genie is not the same thing everyone else sees. Wait times, LL/ILL availability, pricing, etc. are all affected by what Disney knows about you: your preferences, location, age, previous parks visits, your likelihood to make a purchase, etc.

It’s a pretty powerful tool.

Which makes it even more frustrating that they’re not using it to manage crowding or make visits more fun.
Just no. Disney wanted to do all sort of data mining with Next Gen and they were not really able to implement it. They’re not doing this level of personalization at the parks or even with Disney+ as you’ve also been claiming. They may want to and have tried to varying degrees, but they’re nowhere near there yet.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Just no. Disney wanted to do all sort of data mining with Next Gen and they were not really able to implement it. They’re not doing this level of personalization at the parks or even with Disney+ as you’ve also been claiming. They may want to and have tried to varying degrees, but they’re nowhere near there yet.
Correct. I remember initially they were even talking about pushing discounts out to people for merch at different times in different places but it never got there. My guess is they either decided not to or more likely couldn’t do it right because their IT dept or lack there of is embarrassing

pdude81

Correct. I remember initially they were even talking about pushing discounts out to people for merch at different times in different places but it never got there. My guess is they either decided not to or more likely couldn’t do it right because their IT dept or lack there of is embarrassing
They can't even handle if you check too many boxes for "My Genie Day". Now they have a ton of data, but they are nowhere near ready to make decisions on all that data in real time... even for just the theme park guests.

_caleb

What level have I been claiming? You acknowledge what I've been saying Disney is able to do. I assure you that the data mining and customization features intended in NextGen are built and functional in MDE/Genie. Some are being used. You are correct that Disney has not implemented every feature (and they've completely bungled those they have tried to implement).

_caleb

They did indeed talk about this, and it is possible in the app today. It is not being used, and it's not because of Disney's "IT Department."

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They did indeed talk about this, and it is possible in the app today. It is not being used, and it's not because of Disney's "IT Department."
it’s probably because they wouldn’t discount anything now

Lots are things are and could be possible with the app, it’s just a terrible design and implementation overall

_caleb

it’s probably because they wouldn’t discount anything now

Lots are things are and could be possible with the app, it’s just a terrible design and implementation overall
The lack of implementation is a business/management issue, not a technological one.
And I agree–terrible design and implementation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom