Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

_caleb

it’s probably because they wouldn’t discount anything now

Lots are things are and could be possible with the app, it’s just a terrible design and implementation overall
The lack of implementation is a business/management issue, not a technological one.
And I agree–terrible design and implementation.

lazyboy97o

What level have I been claiming? You acknowledge what I've been saying Disney is able to do. I assure you that the data mining and customization features intended in NextGen are built and functional in MDE/Genie. Some are being used. You are correct that Disney has not implemented every feature (and they've completely bungled those they have tried to implement).
Pretty much everything you just claimed, as noted by others, is not true. The whole reason Disney floods people with cookies is because their systems are poorly designed, don’t work well and lack true interoperability. They don’t do what they say and the reason they haven’t years later is more because they cannot.

_caleb

Pretty much everything you just claimed, as noted by others, is not true. The whole reason Disney floods people with cookies is because their systems are poorly designed, don’t work well and lack true interoperability. They don’t do what they say and the reason they haven’t years later is more because they cannot.
This is the second time you've called me a liar here in the last couple weeks. I try to stick to posting honest opinions and not to make assertions based on speculation. In this case, I have some insight.
You’re awfully sure of yourself for someone who has already stated so many things that aren’t true.
I am not a Disney insider, but I know something about this in particular. I get that "trust me" isn't going to work here, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Jrb1979

This is the second time you've called me a liar here in the last couple weeks. I try to stick to posting honest opinions and not to make assertions based on speculation. In this case, I have some insight.

I am not a Disney insider, but I know something about this in particular. I get that "trust me" isn't going to work here, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.
It's all speculation anyways. Just as much as Mighty Mouse would say "Iger has come to save the day."

lazyboy97o

I never said you are a liar. I do not think you are intentionally making false statements, but you absolutely are speculating and wildly.

aaronml

From my understanding there are only two different wait time numbers that Disney maintains: Estimated Actual Wait Time (based on FLIK cards and other tracking technologies) and Posted Wait Time.

The former isn’t publicly available, but is used by Park Operations to help determine what the posted / public wait time should be. That’s how it was explained to me anyhow.

I suppose that process could have changed more recently, but that seems unlikely. Among other things, deliberate manipulation of wait time data on a per-guest basis to encourage G+ / ILL purchases is arguably fraud.

_caleb

If you know something about this then why did you say things about it that aren’t true?
I'm not sure what you're referring to. You assumed some things I wasn't saying, and then you went into rack rates and tariff cards for resort rooms. I was talking about selectively-applied motivational discounts, which are real things.

And despite what you've said previously, Genie's Tip Board is not just a passive display of posted attraction wait times.

peter11435

I'm not sure what you're referring to. You assumed some things I wasn't saying, and then you went into rack rates and tariff cards for resort rooms. I was talking about selectively-applied motivational discounts, which are real things.

And despite what you've said previously, Genie's Tip Board is not just a passive display of posted attraction wait times.
Obviously selectively applied discounts are a thing. If you are signed in as a Florida resident or an annual passholder it will display your rate accordingly. But it doesn’t pick and choose discounts based on your spending habits, preferences, or loyalty.

Genie’s Tip board absolutely is a passive display of posted attraction wait times. The same system they use to post wait times on in-park signage is what communicates with genie to post that same wait time. It doesn’t change the wait times displayed for anyone or for any reason except for what the system is told is the current wait time.

What do you think it is?

_caleb

Genie’s Tip board absolutely is a passive display of posted attraction wait times. The same system they use to post wait times on in-park signage is what communicates with genie to post that same wait time. It doesn’t change the wait times displayed for anyone or for any reason except for what the system is told is the current wait time.

What do you think it is?
It was demonstrated to me that updates to attraction wait times can be used to motivate guests. The explanation was that actual, posted, and forecast wait times are not the same thing and that the forecast was determined by an algorithm for the app.

peter11435

It was demonstrated to me that updates to attraction wait times can be used to motivate guests. The explanation was that actual, posted, and forecast wait times are not the same thing and that the forecast was determined by an algorithm for the app.
Whoever told you that was a bit misinformed about how things actually function or you misunderstood. You are correct that actual, posted, and forecasted wait times are not the same thing. However, wait times posted on in-park signage AND wait times listed in the app are all of the posted variety. They all come from the same source. The time displayed in the app is pulled from the same source as the attraction entrance signage.

Now that said, there is a very complicated explanation for how those posted wait times are determined. A conversation for another time. But whatever the posted wait time is at any given time will be the wait time posted across all platforms. The wait time is the same for all guests.

The app does feature a bar graphs style display of forecasted wait times to indicate when wait times might be shorter or longer throughout the day. This is based on historical data and is not changed user to user. It also doesn’t feature actual numbers.

Last edited:

drizgirl

So TDA has started capping daily G+ sales. I wonder how long before TDO does the same…
I was under the impression they have a max number already, so just assume they haven't hit it. Because WDW slapped FP+ on everything before, they probably have a lot more LL slots available. DLR doesn't have LL on as many attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom