Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

celluloid

And the upkeep would surely get better.

Disney would have to charge more for each even if it was nightly to make up for some of.tje overtime too. Right now they can schedule people odd hours and have the place staffed without part or full timers going over.

UNCgolf

They have for decades. They contacted me in the noughties by phone over something I posted here.

They probably don't care much about boards like this now since they can pull data from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. -- not that it would surprise me if they were still reading them, just that they anything they get from here is probably weighed less than what's on social media.

Disstevefan1

They probably don't care much about boards like this now since they can pull data from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. -- not that it would surprise me if they were still reading them, just that they anything they get from here is probably weighed less than what's on social media.
DisCorpReadingWdwmagic.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

DubyooDeeDubyoo

They had that in 1997. Then they implemented a system where you're the disadvantaged 'loser' if you aren't holding onto a virtual ride ticket at all times, causing what was originally just a small number of "in the know" people to run around to rides they weren't going to actually ride for another three hours yet, all for a system that couldn't sustain itself if everyone used it. And that's when it all got here.

While I haven't been to the parks myself in many years, I'd still take the "I'm rich" version we see here and now over the free-for-all that was strained beyond it's limits and only provided people significant savings when it was "WDW's best kept secret."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“Our goal is to give you the opportunity to spend less time planning in the park and more time enjoying your visit with friends and family.”

My favorite line. Not really

Spoiler - they HAD that not too long ago, decided to make it harder to do, and charged us to do it.
It was REALLY hard for him to say that outloud…and much harder to get Il Duce to approve it

James Alucobond

Spoiler - they HAD that not too long ago, decided to make it harder to do, and charged us to do it.
If the number of times you're on your phone with Genie+ while in the parks is n, the number of times you were on it with FastPass+ was, like, n-2. You still had to be on it a lot if you wanted to game things and get maximum value. The problem is the cost, as you said, and also the fact that you have to grasp the differences between Genie, Genie+, Individual Lightning Lane, and virtual queue (though the latter also overlapped with FP+ to some extent); that's asking a lot of people.

DubyooDeeDubyoo

To me I just see the cost as incentive to ignore the entire system and enjoy the parks as you did before FP was ever designed? If you're old enough to have experienced that, of course. Since the fewer people who pay up the faster the lines move with fewer "line skippers" I consider it okay that you're paying a lot to cut the ride's efficiency.

With the pandemic being considered "over" for legal purposes, there's no reason to keep virtual queues around and not let people clump together again like they already do for entertainment. That'll simplify a lot right there.

drew81

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To me I just see the cost as incentive to ignore the entire system and enjoy the parks as you did before FP was ever designed? If you're old enough to have experienced that, of course. Since the fewer people who pay up the faster the lines move with fewer "line skippers" I consider it okay that you're paying a lot to cut the ride's efficiency.

With the pandemic being considered "over" for legal purposes, there's no reason to keep virtual queues around and not let people clump together again like they already do for entertainment. That'll simplify a lot right there.
Two things:
It was always gross to be on top of each other…we get that wrong

Second, they invented the line skip…but everyone else has something like it. They cant…pun…put that genie back in the bottle

They may use it as an incentive when crowds are low…they won’t abandon it

Epcot82Guy

To translate to the most likely outcome, "Unless we get a major recession and have to bring lots of guests back, we will offer you the opportunity to buy a simpler experience... for the right price." The more this continues, the more I wonder how much of this was anticipated. Put in all these new things. If they work, great. If not, we go back to old ways - now with a 20%, 30%, 40% mark up. And the guests will celebrate it as a win.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To translate to the most likely outcome, "Unless we get a major recession and have to bring lots of guests back, we will offer you the opportunity to buy a simpler experience... for the right price." The more this continues, the more I wonder how much of this was anticipated. Put in all these new things. If they work, great. If not, we go back to old ways - now with a 20%, 30%, 40% mark up. And the guests will celebrate it as a win.
I’ve posted…maybe once or twice…about how a recession will be different in wdw the next time…if the treasury ever says “enough” and stops trying to buy their donors way out of the next one?

Kingoglow

The goal should be to simplify these terms/concepts:
Genie
Genie+
Virtual Que
Lightning Lane
Individual Lightning Lane ( aka Individual Attraction Selection)

Those concepts are convoluted to a first-time visitor and difficult to explain to people. If Josh thought park pass reservations were too much of a burden for new visitors to understand what are his thoughts on this list of five concepts that need to be communicated to each day guest?

We do not need a distinction between Genie and Genie+. It should just be one 'thing'. Do away with the public Virtual Que drops. Just have it be a core part of Genie+ like every other ride.

Lightning Lane is a mouthful and doesn't really roll off the tongue (Fastpass was a better phrase). Terrible marketing and branding. Just call it a Virtual Que to align all the language and concepts.

Individual Lightning Lane can be renamed Paid Virtual Que (PVQ sounds a lot like PDQ or pretty darn quick - which kind of fits).

So now we have a buy-in system called Genie+, that gives users access to the Virtual Ques for a suite of attractions and allows them to pay more for the Paid Virtual Ques. From five concepts down to three, and Disney's revenue streams are intact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom