Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

allgiggles

The goal should be to simplify these terms/concepts:
Genie
Genie+
Virtual Que
Lightning Lane
Individual Lightning Lane ( aka Individual Attraction Selection)

Those concepts are convoluted to a first-time visitor and difficult to explain to people. If Josh thought park pass reservations were too much of a burden for new visitors to understand what are his thoughts on this list of five concepts that need to be communicated to each day guest?

We do not need a distinction between Genie and Genie+. It should just be one 'thing'. Do away with the public Virtual Que drops. Just have it be a core part of Genie+ like every other ride.

Lightning Lane is a mouthful and doesn't really roll off the tongue (Fastpass was a better phrase). Terrible marketing and branding. Just call it a Virtual Que to align all the language and concepts.

Individual Lightning Lane can be renamed Paid Virtual Que (PVQ sounds a lot like PDQ or pretty darn quick - which kind of fits).

So now we have a buy-in system called Genie+, that gives users access to the Virtual Ques for a suite of attractions and allows them to pay more for the Paid Virtual Ques. From five concepts down to three, and Disney's revenue streams are intact.
I agree. While I didn't find the system in general difficult to use, I do think the terminology/names they use for the system can be very confusing. They could have done a much better job of naming thing and that would eliminate a lot of the initial confusion.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I agree. While I didn't find the system in general difficult to use, I do think the terminology/names they use for the system can be very confusing. They could have done a much better job of naming thing and that would eliminate a lot of the initial confusion.
The names Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane with 2 different ways to get them was not a smart idea in terms of less confusion for some. Not sure why they didn’t just stick with fastpass

drizgirl

The names Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane with 2 different ways to get them was not a smart idea in terms of less confusion for some. Not sure why they didn’t just stick with fastpass
They needed to muddy the water so it didn’t seem like they were just charging for what was previously free. Even though that’s exactly what they were doing.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
The price for Genie+ has increased to $25 today ($3 more than yesterday). The last time Genie+ was $25 was April 15.

Based on anecdotal crowd levels from this weekend so far it should not be $25 today. I am starting to agree that while it first started out as variable pricing based on crowd density, it is now just “let’s throw a price up and see if people will pay it.”

DCBaker

Premium Member
The price for 3 Individual Lightning Lanes also increased today.

Cosmic Rewind $17 (+$2)
Flight of Passage $16 (+$2)
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train $12 (+$1)

EPCOT-O.G.

Based on anecdotal crowd levels from this weekend so far it should not be $25 today. I am starting to agree that while it first started out as variable pricing based on crowd density, it is now just “let’s throw a price up and see if people will pay it.”
Or, “we’re not hitting our revenue projects because fewer people are here during a normally busy time, so pull that lever over there”

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It was $25 yesterday, which seems to be the standard Monday pricing...an inexplicable increase from weekends.
I just got back from a 12 day trip. Spent over $900 extra on Genie+ and ILLs and that's with just 2 of us (and we didn't go to the parks every day).

Don't even get me started on the zig-zagging across the park that took place each day and rides being down at times which cause it to be less useful.

There has to be a better way

Trauma

I just got back from a 12 day trip. Spent over $900 extra on Genie+ and ILLs and that's with just 2 of us (and we didn't go to the parks every day).

Don't even get me started on the zig-zagging across the park that took place each day and rides being down at times which cause it to be less useful.

There has to be a better way

Here’s a better way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom