Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

pdude81

Honest opinions please.........I know its been suggested..........But hear this out and let me know what the flaws are here for both guests and WDW the company.........

1) A return to paid FP+ system, priced where acceptance is at the same or a bit less as Genie+ (so 1/4 to 1/3 of people buy it that would have had FP+ for free prior)

2) Company gets their revenue (likely higher than Genie+ do to higher pricing)

3) planners get their benefits back

4) if priced at $100 pp, then sell "day of" FP+ for $25.........plenty of availability left since FP+ purchase rate is only 1/4 to 1/3 of original FP+ and company makes even more money and cost is much less so people dont feel taken advantage of

5) Standby lines should be shorter vs lower FP+ rates vs old system

Please no "Because the company wont admit they were wrong" answers because quite frankly, they already have admitted they were wrong.

Its a disaster and everyone knows it

Why wouldnt this work?

Flaws for guest - To price FP+ or G+ at an amount roughly equivalent number of people as crowds grow will at least double in price, and more likely be a large multiple. So it costs much more for lower or middle class families relative to the other massive price increases. At $100 pp that's unaffordable for most for more than one day. And if there were thunderstorms and you couldn't ride what you'd paid for on that one day you could afford it, you might get your money back, but still SOL on the ticket price and can't necessarily replace those rides on a different day.

Flaws for company - Optics on the rich being the only ones who could skip the lines are ugly. It's one thing to pay for VIP Tours which are out of the league of normal humans, but to tell people they can have the old free system back for nearly double their daily ticket rate would just cause different complaints from guests if they had long lines. Instead of complaining that the system sucks, they'd complain that the system was rigged and they'd never have a chance (IMO).

More clearly, the company wouldn't be able to remove inventory mid stream if a ride went down and wasn' tlikely to come back up. They'd be locked into the passes for those hours, which would suddenly just turn into ME passes that plug up other queses at random times. Right now they keep them locked into the ride you selected and can more easily predict when the ride comes back open how many outstanding passes exist.

I think your idea would work, but I don't think it's worth it for either entity. Plus the higher the cost, the more people expect out of a system. Someone earlier was suggesting a $300 unlimited pass which (as we've been through a few times) would start competing with the already successful VIP tour business.

They will definitely need to raise prices somewhat, but the mechanics for capping total puchases are unclear to me. Maybe you give priority for purchases of G+ to resort guests and let them buy the night before, and off site can buy at 7am. From there they really need to get more restaurants and all attractions open so that there is more capacity at the parks. Also a higher allocation to LL than current, even though that will slow down the standby lines a bit. I just don't think it's in the company's best interests to have us pay to lock in things ahead of time that they might have to refund. They can use the system to manage guest flow and ride backups if people aren't locked in ahead of time.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
How have all those other parks priced out families?
here is my take on the "priced out comment" Uni or HP or other places are usually places people will go for a couple days max so if you want to pay up for it so be it & its doable a Disney vacation is just that a vacation that is longer so now you want families to pay 2-300 pp per day for some type of express pass? dont see it possible at disney. A family of 4 for say 7 days at those prices is anywhere from 5600-8400 and i think yes it sells out to the people who dont care bc my assumption it would be limited but basically eliminates the majority of guests of bieng able to purchase it. Which in turn only ticks off more guests and now again forces them in long lines All day long for how many rides? hence why the VIP tours have become so popular ive never seen so many in all my years than i did in November and as i said in overhearing multiple convo's they book up rather quick and they are looking to add to that work force to meet the demand

ctrlaltdel

Clear path is to go yo an Express Pass-type alternative. Make it more expensive and exclusive by putting a hard cap on number sold. Guest satisfaction for those who buy that increases. Obviously Disney can and would price it higher than the comparable alternatives.

MickeyLuv'r

There’s no way I’m setting an alarm for both midnight and 7am. If I get up at 6:45 and genie+ is gone for the day, I’ll take that as I sign that I was supposed to use that money elsewhere.
Except that sets you (any of us) up for a terrible day.
G+ is terrible, but being shut out of G+ sets you up to be a steerage-class park goer for the whole day. NO VIP and no G+ = long lines all day.

Because you are still stuck going to that park for the day.

Jrb1979

Except that sets you (any of us) up for a terrible day.
G+ is terrible, but being shut out of G+ sets you up to be a steerage-class park goer for the whole day. NO VIP and no G+ = long lines all day.

Because you are still stuck going to that park for the day.
I quoted this from a poster but this is what people overlook.

"As a mass product you inevitably end up leaving everyone disappointed. This is especially since it was free for a long time. Best to have a very small group having a great experience and everyone else saying 'fair enough, we just can't afford that'. "

Jeff4272

Flaws for guest - To price FP+ or G+ at an amount roughly equivalent number of people as crowds grow will at least double in price, and more likely be a large multiple. So it costs much more for lower or middle class families relative to the other massive price increases. At $100 pp that's unaffordable for most for more than one day. And if there were thunderstorms and you couldn't ride what you'd paid for on that one day you could afford it, you might get your money back, but still SOL on the ticket price and can't necessarily replace those rides on a different day.

Flaws for company - Optics on the rich being the only ones who could skip the lines are ugly. It's one thing to pay for VIP Tours which are out of the league of normal humans, but to tell people they can have the old free system back for nearly double their daily ticket rate would just cause different complaints from guests if they had long lines. Instead of complaining that the system sucks, they'd complain that the system was rigged and they'd never have a chance (IMO).

More clearly, the company wouldn't be able to remove inventory mid stream if a ride went down and wasn' tlikely to come back up. They'd be locked into the passes for those hours, which would suddenly just turn into ME passes that plug up other queses at random times. Right now they keep them locked into the ride you selected and can more easily predict when the ride comes back open how many outstanding passes exist.

I think your idea would work, but I don't think it's worth it for either entity. Plus the higher the cost, the more people expect out of a system. Someone earlier was suggesting a $300 unlimited pass which (as we've been through a few times) would start competing with the already successful VIP tour business.

They will definitely need to raise prices somewhat, but the mechanics for capping total puchases are unclear to me. Maybe you give priority for purchases of G+ to resort guests and let them buy the night before, and off site can buy at 7am. From there they really need to get more restaurants and all attractions open so that there is more capacity at the parks. Also a higher allocation to LL than current, even though that will slow down the standby lines a bit. I just don't think it's in the company's best interests to have us pay to lock in things ahead of time that they might have to refund. They can use the system to manage guest flow and ride backups if people aren't locked in ahead of time.
1) dont agree......Genie+ is $15 plus ILL of $15, thats $30 pp and that only has a 33% adoption rate........price it at $100pp..........those can be booked 30 days in advance............then price "day of" one at $20-$25 which is cheaper than Genie+ and an ILL would cost, making it "affordable"

2) unlimited pass wont work, theres not enough capacity

Jeff4272

Honest opinions please.........I know its been suggested..........But hear this out and let me know what the flaws are here for both guests and WDW the company.........

1) A return to paid FP+ system, priced where acceptance is at the same or a bit less as Genie+ (so 1/4 to 1/3 of people buy it that would have had FP+ for free prior)

2) Company gets their revenue (likely higher than Genie+ do to higher pricing)

3) planners get their benefits back

4) if priced at $100 pp, then sell "day of" FP+ for $25.........plenty of availability left since FP+ purchase rate is only 1/4 to 1/3 of original FP+ and company makes even more money and cost is much less so people dont feel taken advantage of

5) Standby lines should be shorter vs lower FP+ rates vs old system

Please no "Because the company wont admit they were wrong" answers because quite frankly, they already have admitted they were wrong.

Its a disaster and everyone knows it

Why wouldnt this work?

Other than admitting they were wrong, why wouldn't this work?

I cannot think of one reason....and it solves almost all the current problem....

Even the FP+ haters have to like this

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I quoted this from a poster but this is what people overlook.

"As a mass product you inevitably end up leaving everyone disappointed. This is especially since it was free for a long time. Best to have a very small group having a great experience and everyone else saying 'fair enough, we just can't afford that'. "
maybe its me but FP+ worked and i would go during generally busier times of the year and never had issues getting more thruout the day til we left the parks.... pretty much everyone else i know that goes have had the same success and altho im on the boards im far from some FP guru and i assure you others that i know who go definitely are not.

CaptinEO

How is it bad to say only those who pay a lot can skip lines? That's how every theme park that isn't Disney works.

Disney has been all about upcharges and isn't shy about it. Look at all the dessert packages/parties to get reserved seating, look at premium parking, club access hotel rooms, dvc, etc.

When I'm in line in those parks and see someone skip the line I understand they paid a lot of money for that purpose.

Disney park goers need to stop the idea that everyone needs to skip lines. The more people that skip lines, the worse it is for both the standby guests and line skippers.

It's best when something like this is priced at a level where most do not get it. Everyone wins vs this pseudo "line skipping" glued to your phone planning Genie + 15 dollar thing.

DCLcruiser

It isn't. More people used the free system than the ones using the paid system. But that is not stopping the greedy ******** at Disney from seeing G$ as a raging success.
If it isn't then why are they limiting access to G+ now? If anything this will decrease their revenues. Before everyone could pay for G+, now only a select few. This new plan doesn't make any sense.
They are also letting less people into the LL queue compared to the FP queue.
How do we know that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom