Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

ImperfectPixie

I once left a can of Sprite in my car on a hot summer day. When I got back to my car and picked I up, it sprung a leak and sprayed soda all over me and the I side of my car. I don't want to think about what would happen to my phone's battery if left in a hot car for the same amount of time.
I was a bit taken aback (putting it lightly) when Apple told me old batteries can experience a "thermal event".

matt9112

I thought they had a storm of the coast last week too.

But it veered off early. Imho there was never alot of risk factor. Regardless of the storm path some storms get hyped up and are on the news etc all the time and probably effect attendance. But when there not really talked about or a concern for the mainstream im not sure how much it affects it. Historically we are entering the big lull. When schools are back in session and even international travel would normally slump a little. This is normally the free dining and discount room window. The delta variant and continued supression of international travel probably equates to the parks surviving off domestic guests and well schools back.

pdude81

I thought they had a storm of the coast last week too.
Fred was threatening a week to 10 days ago for sure. Nobody knew what was happening or how much rain there would be, but also most of Florida was back at school already. Fred probably stopped more locals than anything in conjunction with park passes

Raineman

I bet the cell service providers outside of the US are loving this move by Disney. The wifi on property is spotty at best, so alot of people are going to have to rely on the data portion of the cellular network to use Genie +. I'm not sure what it costs in other countries, but, here in Canada, you have to pay $7-$8 per day per line to get the same calling/data package in the US as you would at home. If you have at least 2 phones in your party/family, that adds up. It's why we only have one phone active when we go to WDW.

matt9112

That's the equivalent of leaving a child or pet in the car. I'm pretty sure the Fire Dept will break in and save your phone.

That's just not how the rest of us function. Hell, you are younger than me and you're that disconnected!? Weird.

Its not my fault the western world is broken. 🤣 i mean technically all these posts are coming from my phone. Im also not some anti techer. In fact the opposite i would say is true. I just think theres a time and place and the answer isnt "always" its refreshing to not have the distraction.

Ayla

Disney Genie has a lot more features and built in functionality. Its a tool. It is being advertised as such that it plans your entire day, provide flexibility, allows you to enter a stand by for a restaurant along with make and adjust dining reservations. Amongst other things. It's hardly the same as just a way to choose rides to go on.
It is a tool for Disney, not their customers.

DCLcruiser

Quoting myself to post the stats on these videos.

This one has 871 likes (or thumbs up) and 9,700+ dislikes (thumbs down).

This one has 1,400+ likes and 16,000+ dislikes.

This one has 768 likes and 6,700+ dislikes.

They were all posted August 18th.

Well, it's the internet, so we don't know...

How many of those votes are from people who actually have/would attend WDW?
How many of the votes are from dislike bots?
How many of the votes are from disgruntled people who like to see Corporate America burn?

Either way, people will pay up. This would have to become a huge issue for Disney to change course.

DisneyCane

I once left a can of Sprite in my car on a hot summer day. When I got back to my car and picked I up, it sprung a leak and sprayed soda all over me and the inside of my car. I don't want to think about what would happen to my phone's battery if left in a hot car for the same amount of time.
The answer is "not that."

Unless things have really changed since I worked designing cell phones, they are given high temperature soaks during testing.

Also, I have a bunch of old lithium ion batteries in my old phone museum in my attic where it gets incredibly hot in the summer and they still look the same and work if I charge them.

kenny279

This article is pure PR bs. It needs to be called out as so. This is the line that gets me the most: "Those who abstain -- on principle or finances -- can at least take comfort in knowing that their visits will be partly subsidized by Disney Genie+ customers, helping keep regular ticket prices in check." Who believes that. Anyone who follows Disney knows that is not true. Here is another quote:
"Drivers don't cheer when new tollbooths go up, so it's natural for Disney World's biggest fans -- its pass holders -- to burn CEO plush dolls in effigy. The problem here is that they don't fully grasp the reasons for the move, or how it will impact them whether they decide to stick around as Disney Genie+ customers, refuse to pay up and settle for for standby lines, or cut ties with Mickey Mouse completely."

This is a press release, PR placed story if there ever was one. My degree is communication - focus on PR. This sounds like a well pitched story. Perfect case study for any class.

Rickcat96

1629817338206.png
This will be Disney's real issue

UNCgolf

Why would the marketing for Genie be any more in your face than the marketing for MaxPass, which I didn't think was particularly obtrusive?

Disneyland vs. Disney World, for one -- but also this system is clearly being set up as a revenue driver; while MaxPass was obviously intended to make money as well, I get the impression this is intended to be a much larger generator. They certainly spent far more money on this than they spent on MaxPass.

I'll be pretty surprised if it's not being pushed hard when you book tickets, make hotel reservations, etc.

GimpYancIent

Well, it's the internet, so we don't know...

How many of those votes are from people who actually have/would attend WDW?
How many of the votes are from dislike bots?
How many of the votes are from disgruntled people who like to see Corporate America burn?

Either way, people will pay up. This would have to become a huge issue for Disney to change course.
No Issue for Disney. It would be a PR win. Disney listens to it's public, considerate of its patrons and concerned about its guests. Due to public demand Genie will not be implemented. This is an opportunity for Disney to be the good guy. Too many documented sources of discontent w Genie for any of your attempts to invalidate the data.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom