Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Rickcat96

I think you're dramatically underestimating how much Disney is going to be pushing this. I think anyone who knew about FP+ is going to know about this because Disney is going to be showing it to them non-stop.

If anything, even more people will know about this than FP+ because it's a revenue opportunity for Disney. I'd be very surprised if the vast majority of guests don't know what Genie+ is within a year. That doesn't mean they will all purchase it, but I think assuming a bunch of guests won't know what it is or how to use it is either a bit naive or a bit snobbish.
I agree, downside=when phone's run out of battery power. So there could be a limit.

peter11435

No. They have a set number of attractions per day that guests will tolerate before satisfaction begins to drop. I don't think anyone would complain if they could do more in a day.
Not exactly. Certainly guests will always prefer and appreciate more. But it’s not about riding the bottom of what’s tolerated. That number does not just slide by what’s acceptable, that number results in guests claiming their experience was excellent. And truly that number is a statistical average. Many guests experience far more.

CaptainAmerica

I think you're dramatically underestimating how much Disney is going to be pushing this. I think anyone who knew about FP+ is going to know about this because Disney is going to be showing it to them non-stop.

If anything, even more people will know about this than FP+ because it's a revenue opportunity for Disney. I'd be very surprised if the vast majority of guests don't know what Genie+ is within a year. That doesn't mean they will all purchase it, but I think assuming a bunch of guests won't know what it is or how to use it is either a bit naive or a bit snobbish.
Why would the marketing for Genie be any more in your face than the marketing for MaxPass, which I didn't think was particularly obtrusive?

Ripken10

The current only way you can get a boarding group to Rise is if you already have a park reservation to DHS. No hopping for the 1pm boarding group drop.
I thought (and the Rise thread would be a better one to check) that the 1 pm slots you had to be in the park, not necessarily have a park reservation (where in the morning you only need a park reservation). The boarding groups in the afternoon are regularly taking longer to "sell out", quite often past 2 pm. I thought someone in that thread confirmed that if the boarding groups was available after 2 pm you could get a boarding group if you hopped.

They also have at least once now opened up stand-by for Rise at the end of the night (I think it was Sunday) when all the boarding groups were called. It seems now at the end of the day when boarding groups are still left, Cast members are showing people that walk up how to get a boarding group rather than just open up stand by (at least that seems to be the trend since Sunday). @DCBaker has been following it much better than I, as has @disneygeek90

Ayla

I thought (and the Rise thread would be a better one to check) that the 1 pm slots you had to be in the park, not necessarily have a park reservation (where in the morning you only need a park reservation). The boarding groups in the afternoon are regularly taking longer to "sell out", quite often past 2 pm. I thought someone in that thread confirmed that if the boarding groups was available after 2 pm you could get a boarding group if you hopped.

They also have at least once now opened up stand-by for Rise at the end of the night (I think it was Sunday) when all the boarding groups were called. It seems now at the end of the day when boarding groups are still left, Cast members are showing people that walk up how to get a boarding group rather than just open up stand by (at least that seems to be the trend since Sunday). @DCBaker has been following it much better than I, as has @disneygeek90
You don't get in the park for either boarding group unless you have a park reservation.

Waters Back Side

Why would the marketing for Genie be any more in your face than the marketing for MaxPass, which I didn't think was particularly obtrusive?

Disney Genie has a lot more features and built in functionality. Its a tool. It is being advertised as such that it plans your entire day, provide flexibility, allows you to enter a stand by for a restaurant along with make and adjust dining reservations. Amongst other things. It's hardly the same as just a way to choose rides to go on.

GimpYancIent

Disney Genie has a lot more features and built in functionality. Its a tool. It is being advertised as such that it plans your entire day, provide flexibility, allows you to enter a stand by for a restaurant along with make and adjust dining reservations. Amongst other things. It's hardly the same as just a way to choose rides to go on.
Yes it is a "Tool" to dupe guests into believing it is helpful but actually it is a means to skim more money from the guests. Absolutely a "Tool".

disneygeek90

Typically park hopping won’t do you any good for a 1pm ride group when they’re all gone in 1 minute, but this past week where you’re seeing groups available after 2pm I believe it’s possible.

matt9112

You can get a portable charger on Groupon for 8 dollars. This is a non issue for people who care enough. And odds are anyway if a guest in a party has a smart phone, someone else in their party does also anyway. This is an overrated issue.

Almost as overrated as escaping reality for a world of wonder and excitement...and your cell phone. I feel like its just lazy. Sure it makes perfect sense relying on technology that most guests have in there pocket but it still comes across as lazy. No need to build anything infrastructure wise except the back end with servers etc. Although the price of the investment was absurd i supported magic bands as a premise for this very reason. I personally dont want to even need my phone in a park. When i go to universal i will use it to glance at wait times but for the most part i act like its not there. Sometimes i even leave it in the car.

matt9112

Typically park hopping won’t do you any good for a 1pm ride group when they’re all gone in 1 minute, but this past week where you’re seeing groups available after 2pm I believe it’s possible.

This is just due to low attendance right? The recent availability i mean? So we cant consider it the norm? Or the expected.

DCLcruiser

Almost as overrated as escaping reality for a world of wonder and excitement...and your cell phone. I feel like its just lazy. Sure it makes perfect sense relying on technology that most guests have in there pocket but it still comes across as lazy. No need to build anything infrastructure wise except the back end with servers etc. Although the price of the investment was absurd i supported magic bands as a premise for this very reason. I personally dont want to even need my phone in a park. When i go to universal i will use it to glance at wait times but for the most part i act like its not there. Sometimes i even leave it in the car.
That's the equivalent of leaving a child or pet in the car. I'm pretty sure the Fire Dept will break in and save your phone.

That's just not how the rest of us function. Hell, you are younger than me and you're that disconnected!? Weird.

DisAl

What it REALLY does is herd you in the directions that Disney wants you to go. Don't kid yourself that they are doing this for the guests.

Waters Back Side

What it REALLY does is herd you in the directions that Disney wants you to go. Don't kid yourself that they are doing this for the guests.

Oh I agree. I'm talking from the viewpoint of how they are advertising it and what the previous poster had said itnis no different then how they advertise MaxPass.

Chip Chipperson

That's the equivalent of leaving a child or pet in the car. I'm pretty sure the Fire Dept will break in and save your phone.

That's just not how the rest of us function. Hell, you are younger than me and you're that disconnected!? Weird.

I once left a can of Sprite in my car on a hot summer day. When I got back to my car and picked I up, it sprung a leak and sprayed soda all over me and the inside of my car. I don't want to think about what would happen to my phone's battery if left in a hot car for the same amount of time.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom