Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
In the WdwMagic piece the paragraph describing 7 days in advance says for the length of their stay. The 3 days in advance paragraph says "for the total number of admission days on their ticket.

So a 14 day offsite guest can book 8 days earlier than a 2 day onsite guest. I think. When their windows end on the same day.

I think so.
The article also has this at the top.
“Guests can purchase Lightning Lane passes for days they have valid theme park admission starting at 7:00 am Eastern Time on their first day of eligibility.”

But the OP will be starting offsite, since his ticket begins before he movs onsite, so should get the length of ticket. Maybe.

On the other hand I guess by limiting to length of onsite stay it’s to stop the old throwaway one night booking and moving offsite. FP+ worked for length of combined stays though, so 🤞

I can see it both ways now though.

Last edited:

Supertech65

In the WdwMagic piece the paragraph describing 7 days in advance says for the length of their stay. The 3 days in advance paragraph says "for the total number of admission days on their ticket.

So a 14 day offsite guest can book 8 days earlier than a 2 day onsite guest. I think. When their windows end on the same day.

I think so.
That's what I'm thinking but either way my first 4 days of my trip I'm offsite anyway which means I wouldn't be able to start booking till 3 days before the start of my ticket. But if I'm allowed to book my full 14 day ticket from the 3 day start it would actually cover my on-site stays through the day that I depart. Dear God, why does Disney have to confuse things🤣

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's a big assumption.
It would be very odd to require consecutive days. What if I have a 10 day ticket but choose to have a pool/break day after 5 park days, would I only be able to book the first 5 days then I’d have to wait until 3 days before the second 5 days I plan to use?

The details say this:
“Guests can purchase Lightning Lane passes for days they have valid theme park admission starting at 7:00 am Eastern Time on their first day of eligibility.”

That implies to me that the booking is tied to your park ticket and The the window opens either 7 days prior to check-in at an on property hotel or 3 days before the first day of the ticket. Once the window is open you can book as many days as your park ticket is valid for but since the ticket does not require consecutive days why would the bookings?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
@lentesta @DCBaker Any idea how they will handle split stays at resorts? Will you be able to book rides for all all days starting 7 days before checking into the first resort or will it be 7 days prior to each check in? For dining they consider it 2 separate reservations and make you wait until 60 days prior to the second checkin to book ADRs for the second half of the trip but I seem to remember FP+ let you book all your days at both resorts all at once as long as your park ticket and both room reservations were linked on MDE.

nickys

Premium Member
It would be very odd to require consecutive days. What if I have a 10 day ticket but choose to have a pool/break day after 5 park days, would I only be able to book the first 5 days then I’d have to wait until 3 days before the second 5 days I plan to use?

The details say this:

That implies to me that the booking is tied to your park ticket and The the window opens either 7 days prior to check-in at an on property hotel or 3 days before the first day of the ticket. Once the window is open you can book as many days as your park ticket is valid for but since the ticket does not require consecutive days why would the bookings?
I think maybe the question related more to whether the window stays open for the full length of the validity of the ticket.

If it’s a 10 day ticket, valid for 14 days, for example. Can you book days 11-14 if you have only booked for six other days? Or do you have to wait a day before adding day 11, and another day to book day 12 etc?

nickys

Premium Member
I thought I read this earlier but does the 7 day window open up on July 24th or can we buy and start planning on July 17th?
No pre-planning until the 24th. But at least no one else can either.

Disney have a different definition of pre-planning to most guests anyway. Emails from Guest Services have elicited this classic: “you can start pre-planning on your way to the resort”. 🙄😤🤐

JAB

No. The end of the booking window could just be extended by one day to {current date + 3 + length of ticket} each day at 7 am (with a max date of 14 days from the ticket start). So each day you'd be able to book one more day past the initial length of ticket days. This is similar to how FP+ worked for off-site guests - each day, the end of your booking window was extended by one day - the only difference is that under LL-MP the initial booking window would be # of ticket days instead of one day. There's plenty of evidence that G+ just modified the existing FP+ code, so it's not a stretch to think that LL-MP off-site booking could work similarly to FP+.

The details say this:

Again, you're making assumptions.

Off-property is length of ticket, but on-property is length of stay. So on-property guests can book non-consecutive days as long as they have a hotel booked for more nights than they have tickets. The scenario of the off-site guests who use their tickets non-consecutively is what developers would call an edge case (possibly even a corner case) and as such would be deemed not worth the effort and expense to accommodate.

The system has to set an end for the booking window. For on-property guests it's simple - check out date; but for off-property guests, the only real options would be a sliding window like FP+ based on the length of their ticket or a fixed 14 days from their ticket start date. They're not going to limit on-property guests to the length of their stay, but then give all off-site guests a wide-open 14 day window regardless of the length of their ticket.

I guarantee you that "length of ticket" was in the design requirements for off-site guest bookings, so if it were to be implemented the way you're speculating, someone would have had to ignore that design requirement to explicitly implement a fixed 14-day window for off site guests. However, testing would show that the end of the booking window and the max available date are always the same date in every scenario for off-site guests regardless of the length of the ticket and it would get flagged as an issue pretty quickly. If it actually gets implemented the way you think it will, several people messed up.

This is coming from nearly 30 years of development experience.

nickys

Premium Member
So does that essentially mean that only people staying starting on 7/31 Will be using the new system? Because 7/31 is 7 days out. Or does genie plus stop working for those guests staying on property on 7/24?
The current system ends on the 23rd.
Those who are already part way through their vacation then will have to try the new system on the morning of 24th.

RealBlast3

The new system (and pre-booking) starts on July 24th for everyone.
So people who's staying starts on 7/24 Will basically be screwed and that they won't be able to make a reservation until 7:24 when the new system goes into effect. Because you obviously can't have two systems operating at the same time so they won't get the 7-Day window.

osian

So people who's staying starts on 7/24 Will basically be screwed and that they won't be able to make a reservation until 7:24 when the new system goes into effect. Because you obviously can't have two systems operating at the same time so they won't get the 7-Day window.
A bit like international visitors then, who will generally only be able to access the system on the day they arrive when everyone else has already had the 7 days. But at the start of this system, there will have been no earlier bookings made before the 24th.

Ayla

Yes, they will...because everyone starts at zero on July 24th. No one is pre-booking anything prior to July 24th.

bwr827

Nobody screwed in this case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom