Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Waters Back Side

Not to mention even if you did not want to stack, the current way even though 1 at a time I can pick a ride for 8pm at 7am and still get a choice 2 hours after the park opens.

The new system would be fine of they still allowed the 2 hour rule with 3 pre selected.

Dranth

Wha happens if the 3 rides you pick 7 days on advance are all for late in the day? Suppose 5pm, 6pm and 7pm. Based on the new system you can only select another after you redeem your first ride. So you can't pick another until after the 5pm ride is redeemed? Seems the best way to get a 4th ride and 4th etc and for that mattera more popular first tier one, you'd need to make your choices for earlier in day. No?
Yep, unless some information hasn't been released yet. So, you either pick early to start getting new choices right away or pick late morning and take advantage of lower standby lines before your selections kick in. Both methods worked very well in the past and I see no reason they wouldn't again.

If you are stuck with or purposely pick later times you are just screwed as there is no mechanism to add another until you use an existing one at which point there is unlikely to be much inventory left.

Touchdown

I think this may blow up in their face, rather spectacularly. Genie has been $40 before right? Family of 4 $120 a day people may cringe and press the button, but now you buy your 5 days all at once? That’s $600, that’s going to make a lot more eyes pop (human psychology and why everyone is moving to nickel and diming/subscription models) they may see less people booking this. I’m most interested to see the availability, if you can get 7-10 hits out of this I may start buying it. We’ll see how popular it is, the less people who buy, the more hits you get. Allowing rerides and/or ending ILLs would have made it much more palatable.

hopemax

No one has mentioned the most important group of all and how it will affect them.

How are the influencers going to film their 'perfect day' etc videos if all the good pre selects are gone before 3 days out?

Take a minute to keep these people in your thoughts, they must be hurting right now.
These people will simply learn when the drop times are, and get a helper to refresh, refresh, refresh. They will be fine.

dig311dug

Can you imagine a world without Disney world vloggers?
IMG_7974.jpeg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Reality check folks... Disney didn't just double or triple their attraction capacity.

So when they just offered up 3 LL reservation spots to people a week in advance.. and still expect people to make day of reservations. That means only one thing... they are going to STUFF the LL to the gils with people.

Remember - When EVERYONE is special - NO ONE is special.

This is just like the TSA precheck lines now... they can be longer than normal security!

Disney doesn't want to face customers upset that there are no reservations available to book - so they are incentivized to open up as much capacity as they can. RIP Standby waits... it was nice knowing you!

Obviously with this timing.. clearing out the fake-DAS load was essential to making this change viable. All those people wanting standby waits to drop? LOL - they are just gonna stuff the LLs with a different type of reservation now.

And Disney doesn't want to make a $1mil off 5,000 people... they want to make $5mil off 50,000 people. They want the highest attach rate they can get... so price it within reach, and sTUFF the LL to keep those reservation counts up.

Disney might as well get rid of standby lines before too long.. they just want you bouncing around from one reservation to another.

This change has made me more upset with the Parks leadership than any other in recent memory. FP+ was horrible.. and this is that with more baggage thrown in. Visiting Disney parks is never going to be like it was in the past.. instead you're going to have everyone trying to zip from reservation to reservation.. and upset that they get there and the lines are still long.

When you thought it never could get worse than ILL as a name - they come up with this monstrocity. I just can't even fathom what group of people are dreaming up these horrible systems. They must be people that just think they know customers but aren't real ones themselves. If I saw this come across my desk... I'd be firing the whole lot.

They would have been better off to just jack ticket prices up $40 and be done with it...

hopemax

I think this may blow up in their face, rather spectacularly. Genie has been $40 before right? Family of 4 $120 a day people may cringe and press the button, but now you buy your 5 days all at once? That’s $600, that’s going to make a lot more eyes pop (human psychology and why everyone is moving to nickel and diming/subscription models) they may see less people booking this. I’m most interested to see the availability, if you can get 7-10 hits out of this I may start buying it. We’ll see how popular it is, the less people who buy, the more hits you get. Allowing rerides and/or ending ILLs would have made it much more palatable.
Based on what has already been happening since Genie+ debuted, I think the $600 won't be as big of an issue as it seems. It will be like transportation, lodging, base tickets is "just part of the cost of the trip." But people don't suddenly have $600 more in their vacation budget. So value rooms over mods / deluxe, fewer table service meals and character dining, fewer souvenirs. We were just at Disney Springs today... they have removed so many fixtures from the various stores that used to be full of different types of merchandise. The Co-op in particular is a shell of what that store set out to be. I can only assume people aren't buying stuff outside of a few types of items (T-shirts, coffee mugs, plush).

aladdin2007

Reality check folks... Disney didn't just double or triple their attraction capacity.

So when they just offered up 3 LL reservation spots to people a week in advance.. and still expect people to make day of reservations. That means only one thing... they are going to STUFF the LL to the gils with people.

This is just like the TSA precheck lines now... they can be longer than normal security!

Disney doesn't want to face customers upset that there are no reservations available to book - so they are incentivized to open up as much capacity as they can. RIP Standby waits... it was nice knowing you!

Obviously with this timing.. clearing out the fake-DAS load was essential to making this change viable. All those people wanting standby waits to drop? LOL - they are just gonna stuff the LLs with a different type of reservation now.

And Disney doesn't want to make a $1mil off 5,000 people... they want to make $5mil off 50,000 people. They want the highest attach rate they can get... so price it within reach, and sTUFF the LL to keep those reservation counts up.

Disney might as well get rid of standby lines before too long.. they just want you bouncing around from one reservation to another.

This change has made me more upset with the Parks leadership than any other in recent memory. FP+ was horrible.. and this is that with more baggage thrown in. Visiting Disney parks is never going to be like it was in the past.. instead you're going to have everyone trying to zip from reservation to reservation.. and upset that they get there and the lines are still long.

When you thought it never could get worse than ILL as a name - they come up with this monstrocity. I just can't even fathom what group of people are dreaming up these horrible systems. They must be people that just think they know customers but aren't real ones themselves. If I saw this come across my desk... I'd be firing the whole lot.

They would have been better off to just jack ticket prices up $40 and be done with it...
Perfectly stated. They hired too many geeks to come up with this junk and it all falls and will fall on D'Amaro. Its time to point the fingers and all of these people need to go. Im fed up with it too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn’t be surprised if they started offering this “free” to anyone who books a full price package through Disney that includes park tickets and a hotel room similar to how they used the free dining plan. Then the high price actually makes the “free“ offering seem more valuable….similar to DDP.

What I’d like to see is a package deal developed that includes Genie+ with a multi day park ticket. Maybe make the per day price on the lower end but you have to buy for all of the days of a multi day ticket and maybe throw in an individual lightning lane or 2 or 4 :). So in your example maybe with the 5 day ticket you pay and extra $120 per person for 5 days of genie+ and 4 individual lightning lanes per person.

In the Parks
No
Can't wait for the rules to change again in 6-12 months.
I’m banking on them changing it again. I might actually be going next summer for my parents’ 50th…sort of a last hurrah thing…they’re so fed up none of us have been to a Disney park since 2019, and we had normal FP that year at DL. This is the worst possible version of this.

Vegas Disney Fan

It will be interesting to see how it compares to FP+, which was available to everyone for free. We had great luck getting what we wanted with FP+, we only cared about the 3 prebooks, as a paid option hopefully this will be similar.

JD80

This post is a little bit over the top.

1) you don't have to buy the service every day.
2) i think thr naming is better.
3) TSA precheck is always better
4) most of the ll room is going to pass people and not DAS people.

This seems genuinely better than g+ in all ways.

JD80

It will be interesting to see how it compares to FP+, which was available to everyone for free. We had great luck getting what we wanted with FP+, we only cared about the 3 prebooks, as a paid option hopefully this will be similar.

A lot of people didn't even know you could book a 4th FP after you use your three.

People are going to buy the Multipass with three selections already made before they enter their credit card info. Should work pretty well vs. buying and praying you get something the day of.

Vegas Disney Fan

A lot of people didn't even know you could book a 4th FP after you use your three.

People are going to buy the Multipass with three selections already made before they enter their credit card info. Should work pretty well vs. buying and praying you get something the day of.
I hope so, I was just informed there’s tiers again which may be problematic, I don’t know enough about it yet to know if it’ll work or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom