Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

easyrowrdw

It will be interesting to see how it compares to FP+, which was available to everyone for free. We had great luck getting what we wanted with FP+, we only cared about the 3 prebooks, as a paid option hopefully this will be similar.
Same. And we usually didn’t have much trouble getting more after those 3. But if they’re taking out meet-and-greets then that might make it more difficult now. Even if we don’t use them someone does and now they’ll be booking rides.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This post is a little bit over the top.

1) you don't have to buy the service every day.
2) i think thr naming is better.
3) TSA precheck is always better
4) most of the ll room is going to pass people and not DAS people.

This seems genuinely better than g+ in all ways.

1 - sure, you don't have to buy, but that doesn't mean you aren't impacted by it
2 - could care less.. its more of a stain on their reputation for actually having some awareness
3 - Wrong - as a global traveler who has had precheck since the days of it being a Frequent Flyer perk and not a paid program and who has Global Entry... I can say with ease it's not always better, especially in the last 2 years
4 - I don't even know what you are trying to say here, given your tense and no idea if you are trying to say what was.. vs is.. etc

Better than G+? Sure, but that's like saying "Kicking you in the butt is better than kicking you in the face" -- But you're still getting kicked! Both these systems are for the worse when it comes to a theme park experience.

People complained about people always in their phones? Wait until people are just reservation hopping full time.

Splash4eva

Forgove me if asked already, What happens if the 3 rides you pick 7 days on advance are all for late in the day? Suppose 5pm, 6pm and 7pm. Based on the new system you can only select another after you redeem your first ride. So you can't pick another until after the 5pm ride is redeemed? Seems the best way to get a 4th ride and 4th etc and for that mattera more popular first tier one, you'd need to make your choices for earlier in day. No?

It almost seems as though even though you get 3 guaranteed choices, eliminating the 2 hour rule cna have some disadvantages
Exactly. Who would buy this say in the summer months when they go and dont plan on the parks until the evening. My buddy is leaving in a couple weeks. He hasnt been in 3+ years and i hasnt used genie yet so was explaining how to stack

JD80

1 - sure, you don't have to buy, but that doesn't mean you aren't impacted by it
2 - could care less.. its more of a stain on their reputation for actually having some awareness
3 - Wrong - as a global traveler who has had precheck since the days of it being a Frequent Flyer perk and not a paid program and who has Global Entry... I can say with ease it's not always better, especially in the last 2 years
4 - I don't even know what you are trying to say here, given your tense and no idea if you are trying to say what was.. vs is.. etc

Better than G+? Sure, but that's like saying "Kicking you in the butt is better than kicking you in the face" -- But you're still getting kicked! Both these systems are for the worse when it comes to a theme park experience.

People complained about people always in their phones? Wait until people are just reservation hopping full time.

1) There is no change here on the impact of non users. You are replacing DAS users with LL users.

2) how much more could you care less?

3) I had global entry and never had complaints. Though not as much in recent years. Previously I traveled 22 weeks out of the year.

People are always going to complain, but you will most likely spend less time on your phone modifying times or searching for attractions or monitoring your 2 hour window because you have three tracks of bookings to use. It frees up a lot of head space. At least for a power user.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
1) There is no change here on the impact of non users. You are replacing DAS users with LL users.

People are always going to complain, but you will most likely spend less time on your phone modifying times or searching for attractions or monitoring your 2 hour window because you have three tracks of bookings to use. It frees up a lot of head space. At least for a power user.
Let’s hope this is the case. I feel like they keep trying to revamp the Guest assistance card but people end up finding a work around. I don’t want to go off on a tangent on that topic so I’ll leave it at that.

If this system results in an increase in genie+ users and that does not result in a meaningful increase in standby waits then that would be a great outcome. I’m waiting for @lentesta and his team to crunch the numbers once this thing goes live.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For someone who desperately wants to return to 2013 Fastpass, this doesn’t sound like an improvement. Am I wrong?
The system is broken. In a few months the same complaints and issue that have grown for 15+ years will grow and amplify.

Different day…same problems. Trying to fit square peg customers into not enough round holes

I wouldn’t be surprised if they started offering this “free” to anyone who books a full price package through Disney that includes park tickets and a hotel room similar to how they used the free dining plan. Then the high price actually makes the “free“ offering seem more valuable….similar to DDP.

What I’d like to see is a package deal developed that includes Genie+ with a multi day park ticket. Maybe make the per day price on the lower end but you have to buy for all of the days of a multi day ticket and maybe throw in an individual lightning lane or 2 or 4 :). So in your example maybe with the 5 day ticket you pay and extra $120 per person for 5 days of genie+ and 4 individual lightning lanes per person.
Nobody is buying those “full priced packages”. Discount levels are as high as they have been in forever.

They just took the prices too far.

RSoxNo1

APs making day visits (i.e. those not staying in a resort) will have the same 3 day rule as other day guests.
What about a non local that uses the AP for a week long vacation off site (say multiple during the year). Are they just 3 days in advance or will there be a park reservation component to allow them to book multiple days at once.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What about a non local that uses the AP for a week long vacation off site (say multiple during the year). Are they just 3 days in advance or will there be a park reservation component to allow them to book multiple days at once.
You mean are they gonna make accommodation for passholders who don’t stay onsite?

flynnibus

Premium Member
If this system results in an increase in genie+ users and that does not result in a meaningful increase in standby waits then that would be a great outcome
Literally impossible. They are going to have to open a ton of more G+ slots to make it so there is inventory to offer to everyone holding 3 slots that day.

People think they are going to get more rides in with more slots available to them... the # of available ride slots doesn't change... only who you allocate them to.

flynnibus

Premium Member

2) how much more could you care less?

3) I had global entry and never had complaints. Though not as much in recent years. Previously I traveled 22 weeks out of the year.

3 slots = 2 more slots to keep optimizing. People aren't going to book it and forget it.. especially power users.

When everyone is special example... Pre-check line...
IMG_4593.jpeg

This program isn't going to be about exclusive limited access... they're basically shifting people into a reservation model masquerading as a paid line skip. Just wait....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Literally impossible. They are going to have to open a ton of more G+ slots to make it so there is inventory to offer to everyone holding 3 slots that day.

People think they are going to get more rides in with more slots available to them... the # of available ride slots doesn't change... only who you allocate them to.
It depends on how many people buy. If the same number of people buy into this system who were previously buying into the original genie+ system then the same number of slots will be used unless under the original people regularly only got to 2 rides a day or less which should not have been the case on any but the busiest days. Under FP+ everyone booked 3 rides a day but I would assume far less people will participate in this.

JD80

3 slots = 2 more slots to keep optimizing. People aren't going to book it and forget it.. especially power users.

View attachment 794629

This program isn't going to be about exclusive limited access... they're basically shifting people into a reservation model masquerading as a paid line skip. Just wait....

My guy the vast majority of people aren't power users. There are a good portion of people who will set and forget. There are some people that will select all different times of the day like book a 6pm and 8pm ride at 7 days. There are people who will refuse to tinker with their phone. There will be people who run out of battery life on their phone.

There were tons of people who never used a 4th FP. There are tons of people who never used their 3rd or forgot to.

Just saying, because you have more opportunities to keep selecting doesn't mean people will.

the_rich

View attachment 794629

Under fp+ everyone could book 3, this will be less than that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It depends on how many people buy. If the same number of people buy into this system who were previously buying into the original genie+ system then the same number of slots will be used unless under the original people regularly only got to 2 rides a day or less which should not have been the case on any but the busiest days. Under FP+ everyone booked 3 rides a day but I would assume far less people will participate in this.
…I think you need to prepare yourself for some bad news.

This is fundamentally a numbers problem. No booking system can overcome that.

People have managed to convince themselves that pre-booking at the same price will fix it?

The problem is both of the last two systems failed with those characteristics.

Now slapping them together is gonna work?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom