Disney Frustration

Just want to vent a little. You might have read a couple of postings on how we’re trying to find the best room situation for our family of five, including three teenaged or beyond kids. We prefer the Epcot area and debated squeezing us into a BC room (2 queens and a day bed) vs. two rooms at the Swan. We’ve stayed at BC twice and GF three times in one room and it’s worked. But with the kids grown this will probably be our last vacation at WDW with all of us, so my wife and I thought we’d make it special and splurge for a 2 bedroom BC villa (at $545 a night). Turns out they are booked for the only time we can all get away this summer. So we thought we’d go down to two studio villas (at $289 each, or $578). Since a 2 bedroom villa is essentially a one bedroom and studio combined, I realized that I’m overpaying – less space yet $33 more per night. So I thought I’d see if I could get the 2 bedroom rate. I will say the reservationist and his manager were very friendly, but there was absolutely no budging or negotiating room whatsoever. Despite the logic, and despite our option of getting two rooms at the Swan (with a sizable discount since my wife is a teacher) they would not offer any type of discount at all.

Now I suppose they figure they will sell those rooms to someone else at the full rate (and with the 2 bedrooms sold out already I guess I can believe that). Still, it was surprising to me that they were so stringent. I mentioned it was our 28th anniversary during that time – but after saying “congratulations” it was still $578 per night. For $400 per night we can get an executive suite at the Dolphin and have a sizable amount of money left over. But that’s not our first choice. The kids prefer BC, and we’d love to make this as perfect as possible. But at the same time we want to teach them some life skills – when a consumer has a choice, a company should make some accommodations, especially to a repeat customer (they know we’ve stayed at BC and GF five times because they looked it up as we were talking). There is a limit to what something is worth - they set the limit by saying a 2 bedroom villa is $545, so two studios isn’t worth more than that.

So we’ll likely end up at the Swan / Dolphin, and from everything I’ve read I’m sure we will like it very much. It’s just too bad Disney couldn’t bend just a little to make our last family trip there special.

Grumpy56

Originally posted by surfsupdon

Not that Disney should lower rates to the Dolphin level, (we got the teacher discount rate in addition at Dolphin) but they should too have some type of special for teachers/militaries/registered nurses just like the Dolphin, not as dramatic, but something nonetheless. You can find good Disney Resort savings, dont get me wrong, but you have to FIND/SEARCH for them whereas the Dolphin it's like, "I'm a teacher!"

Did I ramble??? haha

I agree, though to be fair Disney does give a good discount to the military through Shades of Green. But teachers and nurses, as well as firefighters and police officers should get a discount too IMHO.

Upvote 0

disneydudette

what about the BOARDWALK villas...
Or yacht club....

I understand if space is a musr have...
but would you guys be in your room that often?!?!....
If so that stay with the Swan...

just a suggestion on my part...
plus if you stay at the Yacht club...
you still get to use stormalong bay!! :sohappy:

just my 2 cents

Upvote 0

disneydudette

ok..I went to the website...and they still had 2-bedroom villas at the BOARDWALK VILLAS...I like them since they have 3 balconies...

Review Quote (USD) $3,646.20
August 1, 2003-August 7, 2003 (6 nights) Change Dates
5 Adults

Disney's BoardWalk Villas More Info Change Resort

Have you ever stayed at this resort before? Yes No
Two Bedroom Villa More Info Change View

Room Total (USD): $3,270.00
Tax : $376.20
Grand Total (USD): $3,646.20 Note: Your itinerary is
not reserved in your name until deposit is applied.

If you want to splurged for that I say go for it....

Upvote 0

Debbie

Originally posted by imagineerfan
Do any other WDW hotels offer discounts to teachers? thanks for the info.

Go to Mousesavers.com. She has listed the discounts, and who offers them, and who can be eligible for them.

Upvote 0

Debbie

Originally posted by www
Just want to vent a little. You might have read a couple of postings on how we’re trying to find the best room situation for our family of five, including three teenaged or beyond kids. We prefer the Epcot area and debated squeezing us into a BC room (2 queens and a day bed) vs. two rooms at the Swan. We’ve stayed at BC twice and GF three times in one room and it’s worked. But with the kids grown this will probably be our last vacation at WDW with all of us,

The only advice I can give is to be persistent and keep trying for a while. Reserve something you can live with now, then keep trying for what you REALLY want. As you know, things can come up and people have to change their plans. Thus, an opening for you! Also, with August being Hurricane season, plans can change for people. Plus someone can be thinking like you; having booked a room well in advance, only to find out they don't need that much space.
Try calling Central Reservations, the internet, AAA; something might come open. It's a long way away from August!

Upvote 0

Fantasmic303

www:

While I have no advice for you as far as resorts go, I just thought I'd share in your frustration. I, too, was shocked with the lack of compromise on Disney's part when we had (and still have) a problem with our visit, which is less than two weeks away. I was on the phone with a pleasant woman for quite a while, but got nowhere. And I was quite surprised about it.

Originally, I had written a letter to guest services, as well as sent an email, listing the reasons we were disappointed, hoping they'd offer us some incentive. When she contacted me, I thought for sure they'd budge a little to help us out. They didn't, and, instead, made excuses for why they couldn't!! First she used the resort policy excuse, then the weather, then the state of the nation. (Incidentally, our complaint concerned the announcements made over the last week of things that will be closed early, closed completely, or cancelled that we had planned on. Like you, this trip was planned to be a very special one for us for several reasons, and the changes have really put a damper on the magic. As such, we're considering staying at the Swan or Dolphin as well.)

Hang in there - the only thing I've begrudgedly (as if THAT'S spelled right - lol) learned is that we're going to have to bite the bullet and make our own magic - Disney's not going to do anything to help us out with it. Good luck to you!!

Upvote 0

jaimjaim25

They only close things for real reasons.. They point is, Disney is not making money like it used to.. To Keep things open or running while crowds are low is very bad for them. So you really can't blame them. I mean, if they kept doing that, they'd eventually go bankrupt or something. Would you rather Disney World close completely...

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by Fantasmic303
www:

While I have no advice for you as far as resorts go, I just thought I'd share in your frustration. I, too, was shocked with the lack of compromise on Disney's part when we had (and still have) a problem with our visit, which is less than two weeks away. I was on the phone with a pleasant woman for quite a while, but got nowhere. And I was quite surprised about it.

Originally, I had written a letter to guest services, as well as sent an email, listing the reasons we were disappointed, hoping they'd offer us some incentive. When she contacted me, I thought for sure they'd budge a little to help us out. They didn't, and, instead, made excuses for why they couldn't!! First she used the resort policy excuse, then the weather, then the state of the nation. (Incidentally, our complaint concerned the announcements made over the last week of things that will be closed early, closed completely, or cancelled that we had planned on. Like you, this trip was planned to be a very special one for us for several reasons, and the changes have really put a damper on the magic. As such, we're considering staying at the Swan or Dolphin as well.)

Hang in there - the only thing I've begrudgedly (as if THAT'S spelled right - lol) learned is that we're going to have to bite the bullet and make our own magic - Disney's not going to do anything to help us out with it. Good luck to you!!

What is the problem? When are you going?

Upvote 0

Fantasmic303

It's really not something Disney can help, but they are things I would have expected Disney to be somewhat sympathetic about and perhaps offer us some sort of compensation for it. On our trip, we will be celebrating my birthday, as well as several of those magical "firsts" with the family we're traveling with, which includes a 4 year old girl. We had made PS arrangements according to the hours that were posted until last week, and those now have to be changed if we can. We also were planning on seeing Spectro, which won't be an option as it originally was, on the day we have PS in the Magic Kingdom.

Other than a dozen "little" things that we had counted on that we can no longer do, the other big problem is Blizzard Beach, which won't be open during our stay. I understand it's for refurbishment and everything, but we prefer it for the 4 yr old over TL, and now, which hours being cut, we're not even sure we'd be able to enjoy any of the water parks.

I called up to inquire about transferring our Ultimate Park Hoppers to regular 5-day PHP (which would save all of us a significant amount of money), especially since we don't know if we'll have time on our day of arrival to enjoy any of the parks (MGM was supposed to be open until 8:30 but is now closing at 7:00). I was told that I would be able to do that, but at the expense of our room discount - we're paying a discounted "peak" rate right now, and I was told that the total would be a difference of $2 if I decided to transfer the passes and go from a package to a basic room. Which, and I did the math several times, means that I'm being given a discount on the PASSES, not the room, even though the woman I spoke to insisted otherwise.

Anyways, bottom line - I'm not trying to spark a debate here at all regarding what Disney has to do to accomodate business needs. I've had enough experience to know all about that. I'm just surprised because in the past, it seems Disney has gone out of their way to make any arrangements necessary for guests to feel "taken care of", and that's the reason we've returned to WDW so many times. They always seemed to know what guests wanted before even the guests did!! Like www said in the original post of this thread, I was just surprised at the lack of negotiation or compromise or even alternatives offered to me.

Once again, please don't make this a Disney defensive thread - I'm still taking my vacation as planned, and I will most likely return to the World in the future, though not necessarily staying onsite or spending all my days with Disney. I just don't want to see the company take advantage of customer loyalty because if satisfaction is sacrificed consistently, people will take their business elsewhere once the economy and our nation recovers.

Upvote 0

Bagheera

One possible reason for the inflexibility in pricing could be related to the fact that the resort is a DVC resort.

The room inventory is valued at a certain dollar amount. This is to allow an even exchange for points for all DVC members. If the room is not being used by a DVC member (the only way you can get it on a cash basis), the cost for the room must be a constant, to allow the DVC points to retain their value. If the room can be had at a discount, DVC members would start crying foul and asking why they can't suddenly get point discounts on their reservations. As far as I know, the only discounts given on rack rate at DVC resorts is for cash-basis reservation for DVC members.

As far as the two studios costing more than a two-bedroom, I'm at a loss. According to my points chart, two studios cost fewer points than a two-bedroom (though a studio and a one-bedroom cost more).

Just my 2 cents....

Upvote 0

Original Poster
We've settled on the Swan, and we reserved two rooms at the club level. I'm going to put another post with a bit more detail. Thanks to everyone for all the comments and suggestions, especially the people who checked on the BW Villas availablility and the DVC point cost and possibilities. Those were great suggestions, and it's got me thinking a bit again, but we're happy with what we decided and the money we'll save will go to something special, like maybe the Breathless cruise. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom