Disney Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush

Butnubb

Censorship is Propaganda

I will admit, that companies have every right to make choices about their buisness. With that in mind, would you then agree that companies are looking out for the best interest of their consumers or merely trying to make a quick buck. I would cite such companies as Enron and WorldCom who are empire (not unlike Disney) and are companies the American citizen are now paying for.

I would not say that Mr. Moore has "lied" and, yes, his movies are liberal propaganda, but that you must also concede that his practices in a movie are not nearly as effective and far reaching as those of FOX and Disney (and the Disney-owned ABC and all of its subsidiaries).

Moreover, Noam Chomsky has said that the government and corporations often collaborate to control the public mind through propaganda. I am certain that if they are being mentioned in international State Department or National Security briefings they must be in cahoots.

You also say: "that liberal propaganda... sheds a negative light on the current administration and the war during an election year by a person who has a documented history of lying and distorting the truth for personal gain." It seems that some gain, be it personal or corporate, is trying to be made by Disney and its conservative sharholders as you have so brightly pointed out are among the conservative majority of the US. Mr Eisner writes: In the case of "Fahrenheit 9/11," we chose a path that was right for the company and its stakeholders." It seems pretty obvious. He also drops the Fifth Ammendment in the article. It has to do with freedom. A friend of mine who works for Disney has told me he does not have the freedom to let his facial hair grow or his hair to be anything other than perfect.

Oh yeah, there is a small percentage of people who actually vote in this country. the majority of whom are vetted by large corporations. Those corporations looking out for their interests are not any longer "patriots" like your 'boy' Walt. They are devious, corrupt and stand for values that oppose those their very cute characters are supposed to support.

Finally, you must understand that without transparency democracy fails. Therefore, people with compelling ideas and perspectives about government, Disney, education, social security or any other social issues ought to share them. It is then the responsibility of the voting masses to come to a well-informed conclusion based upon the wealth of evidence out there be it conservative, liberal, etc.

You are clearly a staunch conservative who will only perpetuate his beliefs, like the stockholders and executives down in Orlando, until the American population is made up robots buying their tickets to Florida, California, Paris, that new island park or everwhere else that the infectious Disney Corp. has been spread.

celticdog

Re: Censorship is Propaganda

Originally posted by Butnubb
everwhere else that the infectious Disney Corp. has been spread.

If you feel that Disney is such an "infectious" corporation, why are you even a part of these boards?

Blair

NEW YORK TIMES - May 10, 2004

To the Editor:

You accuse the Walt Disney Company of cowardice and censorship because of its decision a year ago not to distribute Michael Moore's film "Fahrenheit 9/11" (editorial, May 6). In fact, the cowardly thing would have been to be intimidated into distributing the film. We did not block its distribution. There are many avenues for Mr. Moore to pursue to get his film distributed.

Your accusations of stifling free expression are misplaced. The First Amendment does not say that The New York Times must print every article presented to it or that the Walt Disney Company must distribute every movie. If a government entity had blocked Mr. Moore's film from being released, that would have violated the First Amendment, and we would have quickly signed up to join any protest.

In the case of "Fahrenheit 9/11," we chose a path that was right for the company and its stakeholders.

The creation of intellectual product rises and falls on similar judgments by creative people and executives across America. We would hope that The Times would recognize that the Walt Disney Company has the same right of freedom of expression that it is advocating for Mr. Moore.

MICHAEL D. EISNER
Chief Exec., Walt Disney Company
Burbank, Calif., May 7, 2004

I can't believe this whole thing has got me agreeing with Eisner again. I feel sick.
:hurl:

MouseMadness

You are clearly a staunch conservative who will only perpetuate his beliefs, like the stockholders and executives down in Orlando, until the American population is made up robots buying their tickets to Florida, California, Paris, that new island park or everwhere else that the infectious Disney Corp. has been spread.

What the hell are you doing here with us then? Go freely grow facial hair and be unrobotic on a board that discusses things you don't despise so much.

WDWFREAK53

Taking bets to see how long this thread stays open...

I've got... 2 more pages.

Any other takers?

Countdown til thread closes:

WDWFREAK53

Awww...thank you for for for for for *kicks self* being so nice. I will mi mi mi mi mi mi mi miss you de-de-de-de-dearly!

*goes and renews annual pass*

Butnubb

Re: Re: Censorship is Propaganda

Originally posted by MouseMadness
What the hell are you doing here with us then? Go freely grow facial hair and be unrobotic on a board that discusses things you don't despise so much.

This is my friends login and I have abused his confidence. I will no longer write about the corruption of Disney. In fact, he is standing over my shoulder and wants me to write "I need a hug from Mickey to feel better about myself and my views."

Real Butnubb: Once again, I apologize for my friend's abuse of my login. I will make sure to log off next time! :hammer: The only reply that he posted was the previouse post that seemed to upset the members of the discussion forum. The other posts were really ME. I do feel strongly about this topic and I support my views, but I would never "put down" Disney. Sorry! :wave:

MouseRight

Re: Re: Re: Censorship is Propaganda

This is my friends login and I have abused his confidence. I will no longer write about the corruption of Disney. In fact, he is standing over my shoulder and wants me to write "I need a hug from Mickey to feel better about myself and my views."

Real Butnubb: Once again, I apologize for my friend's abuse of my login. I will make sure to log off next time! :hammer: The only reply that he posted was the previouse post that seemed to upset the members of the discussion forum. The other posts were really ME. I do feel strongly about this topic and I support my views, but I would never "put down" Disney. Sorry! :wave:

Hey Buttnubb, I think there has to be some sort of punishment for your friend commensurate with the crime. I know, 50 Trips through It's A Small World, dressed up like one of the girl Dutch animatronics (wigs and all), standing in the boat, singing along at full volume.

That will teach him to not to knock the mouse.

MouseMadness

Re: Re: Re: Re: Censorship is Propaganda

Originally posted by MouseRight
Hey Buttnubb, I think there has to be some sort of punishment for your friend commensurate with the crime. I know, 50 Trips through It's A Small World, dressed up like one of the girl Dutch animatronics (wigs and all), standing in the boat, singing along at full volume.

That will teach him to not to knock the mouse.

Well, let's not resort to the cruel and unusual. :lookaroun

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Originally posted by MrPromey
I hope you stick around a while. Your posts are highly entertaining...

I wouldn't call owning the company that financed the flick a "clause" that will allow Disney to make money on it but that's just me with my heavy corporate mindset.

Mirimax has a good degree of independence when it comes to what they can and can't do (finances aside) so there are a lot of things that roll through their doors that Disney is probably not thrilled about. I sort of doubt that Eisner and Co. were gleeful at the release of Kill Bill or Bad Santa.

I'd be interested in knowing how you can call this movie "truthful", especially since it hasn't been released yet. Without even acknowledging that Mr. Moore openly lied to America making some major media outlets (and you in my opinion) look like total fools for picking up his artificial cause, you need only look at his previous works to see how he picks an angle and then does everything in his power to bend facts and examples in his favor.

BFC, was a joke. Half the scenes were faked (i.e. bank giving guns out in the lobby) and abstract relations to Columbine and US military affairs on the same day sound a lot more profound than they actually are but to understand any of this you would have to, how did you say it? "Investigate a little"

Funny you should mention the mysterious "special" tax breaks that Disney is getting from Florida, the Federal government (and apparently a few black-ops agencies)... Disney takes advantage of the same tax breaks offered to their contemporaries and if anything, as the largest single site employer in the state of Florida and a major tax payer to the counties they occupy, the state (not to mention the federal govt.), they have more political power over our state than any elected state official could hold over them. The only thing Disney has that actually is special is Reedy Creek Improvement District and weather Jeb likes it or not, he doesn't have the power to take that away from them.

There really isn't anything Jeb could really do that would hurt Disney without hurting their competition as well and since our economy is based mostly on tourism, that would be very stupid of him, even if they did call his brother bad names....

I don't think Disney is looking to influence public opinion by not releasing this movie. Quite to the contrary, I think they are trying not to be accused of being liberal propagandists by distributing a movie that apparently sheds a highly negative light on the current administration and the war during an election year by a person who has a documented history of lying and distorting the truth for personal gain.

The majority of America carries a conservative viewpoint. and they are likely to anger and alienate a much larger segment of their profile customer base by actively participating in his circus rather than staying away from it.

For the record, I don't think Walt, someone who considered himself to be highly patriotic and who made considerable efforts to support the US government during times of war would think too highly of someone who is potentially empowering the enemy by releasing propaganda that attempts to suggest the government wanted or in some way actively helped cause 911 and who is apparently trying to break down support for a war that we are in and will continue to be in regardless of who wins the coming election.

So as a person who just registered and just started posting, what are you? A propagandist with an agenda like Mr. Moore? Someone who knows the truth but would rather sell lies to reap the benefits?... Or someone who doesn't actually know what they are talking about but wants the world to think they do?

If you are the first one, I suggest you look elsewhere to throw flames, most of us around here aren't dumb enough to fall for it... And if you are the second, perhaps you should follow your own advice and "Investigate a little" before running to that keyboard.

Oh... I have nothing to add or say... I just wanted to quote a post that long. LOL

Hey Windbag! :wave:

So is there where you have been hiding and lurking about in the shadows? :lol:

Just wanted to say Hi! :wave:

MouseMadness

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Originally posted by DMC-12
Oh... I have nothing to add or say... I just wanted to quote a post that long. LOL

Okay then!! You shall hereby be known as :cokingasshat:

:lookaroun

:lol:

:kiss: :king: :wave:

Shaman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Originally posted by MrPromey
The majority of America carries a conservative viewpoint. and they are likely to anger and alienate a much larger segment of their profile customer base by actively participating in his circus rather than staying away from it.

I respectfully disagree, that the majority of Americans hold a conservative viewpoint. Opinion in the US tends to be right down the middle, the minority in fact are at either extremes. While America's viewpoint may be more conservative than Europe's, that does not mean that Americans are mostly conservative.

And just because someone follows traditional values, doesn't make them conservative or liberal...because values (even if "traditional") are not the same for everyone. I have found many liberals who have very strong traditional values.

What's interesting about this next election that the country remains torn, politically and philosophically, if that weren't the case then it wouldn't even be a race.

Just my opinion.

Shaman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Okay then!! You shall hereby be known as :cokingasshat:

With all due respect, your highness :p .....I don't think :kingasshat: is going to be very happy with your decision...I thought there could only be ONE king....

:lookaroun :lol: :p :wave:

MouseMadness

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Originally posted by objr
With all due respect, your highness :p .....I don't think :kingasshat: is going to be very happy with your decision...I thought there could only be ONE king....

:lookaroun :lol: :p :wave:

I shall consult with his majesty....

Shaman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Wise decision M'lady....

*bows*

*wonders what the heck was in the lunch*

WDWFREAK53

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

His...er...your majesty has been consulted...and after a thorough investigation...I do hereby declare that Jer has just stepped up into cokingasshatdom...and...I am honored to serve alongside such a person :lookaroun

:king: :king:

Am I serious?

FO SHIZZLE!

YAY FOR JER!!! :sohappy:

(Is there any way steve can change the smiley's command from : sohappy : to... :YAY: ???)

WDWFREAK53

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

*wonders what the heck was in the lunch*

It wasn't what was in the lunch...it was wear you ate the lunch...

You should never eat tossed salad in Darrel's pants!

Shaman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
It wasn't what was in the lunch...it was wear you ate the lunch...

You should never eat tossed salad in Darrel's pants!

So thats what it was....:lookaroun :lol:

MouseRight

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

I respectfully disagree, that the majority of Americans hold a conservative viewpoint. Opinion in the US tends to be right down the middle, the minority in fact are at either extremes. While America's viewpoint may be more conservative than Europe's, that does not mean that Americans are mostly conservative.

And just because someone follows traditional values, doesn't make them conservative or liberal...because values (even if "traditional") are not the same for everyone. I have found many liberals who have very strong traditional values.

What's interesting about this next election that the country remains torn, politically and philosophically, if that weren't the case then it wouldn't even be a race.

Just my opinion.

I agree with your commenst and was about to write the same thing. The only minor difference between what you say and my undertsanding is that the country is not really divided down the middle. I believe that if you ask all americans what their politcal positions are, the result will look like the classic statistical bell curve. That is about 10% will be far left and 10% will be far right with the rest distributed in between with the majority of Amercian saying they are middle of the road.

We appear to be divided eqaully because of the current campiagn rhetoric, media coverage, polls, etc. The polls ask who would you vote for. Given that there are 2 candidates the results in a close race would appear to have us divided down the middle. This may be true for the poll but not true of the underlying idealogy of each person.

Again, great post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom