Disney file patent application for true "flight simulator" vehicle

Rob562

Another application that this could be applied to would be an updated version of 20k Leagues Under the Sea at TDS. I believe the current version in Japan uses a ride track with varying height, as well as a scissor-lift-type connection between the passenger car and the track chassis that can alter the height of the car up and down as it follows the track.

As it's been mentioned that the Avatar sequels will include the oceans, it could be for an Avatar version of 20K...

-Rob

NoChesterHester

The Yeti isn't really complicated, just big and powerful, which is apparently part of the problem. I have to agree with the previous poster, this looks like it could be a troublesome piece of machinery to keep operating.

A thousand ton robot with hundreds of actuators and hydraulic drives is very complicated. This is far more simple - five total controls with infinite positions.

PalisadesPkteer

You still got those cables to worry about. How much stress / strain (Tension / torque ) etc will those cables be subjected to each day.

I have a Associates degree in Mechanical Engineering so I have studied this sort of stuff.
Perhaps most of the weight will be on the track but some will be on the cables.

RSoxNo1

Does anyone have the direct link to the patent application? I'd be interested to see if this came before or after this post on 10/3

I had a ride system that could work for a family friendly (albeit low capacity ride) for the land. I'm not going to pretend I have any artistic abilities - I'll just try and describe it as best I can.

• Overhead track system on two rails, presumably for weight and speed issues (Think Pteranadon Flyers or an amped up Peter Pan's Flight)
  • Vehicles themed to the Dragon type creatures with wings.
  • The vehicles can change their height relative to the track to simulate a flap of the wings - these can be activated by the riders

This discussion ultimately turned into a discussion about an upside-down Kuka arm, but logic points to this being related to Avatar

whylightbulb

You still got those cables to worry about. How much stress / strain (Tension / torque ) etc will those cables be subjected to each day.

I have a Associates degree in Mechanical Engineering so I have studied this sort of stuff.
It's no different than any other attraction that requires daily PMs/inspections. In rides like Test Track or Rockit wheels are constantly being replaced due to wear and delamination. Hardware is inspected to ensure structural integrity and torque stripe is in place. In the case of this concept the cables would be an integral part of the PMs. Of course having 8 cables distributes the loads so hopefully they would not need to be replaced too often. The one thing that would be critical to the operational success of this ride would be to set up the maintenance bay such that changing cables would not be a major ordeal. having lifts and hand cranes/hoists in the right places can make changing a cable a routine job.

Rob562

I wouldn't think it'd be any more stress than the cables in the drop shafts on Tower get... And I doubt these will be spooled/unspooled faster than Tower's.

I think Tower's cables get replaced every few years, and there's only been one minor incident that I've heard of in the almost-18 years Florida's Tower has been open, and it happened in one of the low-speed lift shafts.

-Rob

Rob562

Does anyone have the direct link to the patent application? I'd be interested to see if this came before or after this post on 10/3

This discussion ultimately turned into a discussion about an upside-down Kuka arm, but logic points to this being related to Avatar

Not sure if this link will work, but though it was just published, it says that the patent was filed in June 2010.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=disney&OS=disney&RS=disney

-Rob

Horizonsfan

So this isn't for Avland I take it? Very interesting that this was filed over a year ago.

I may be mistaken but I think WDI applies for Ride Tech patents quite frequently, regardless of if they have a use for the technology at that specific moment, which I would suspect is what happened here. It would be entirely feasible that this is being looked at for Avatar. People have been pointing to a Soarin' style experience, right?

Admiral01

Premium Member

I have to admit, I don't like ride systems that require cables like this...

But, the amount of tension and torque would have to do with the motion that each cab would experience. Something with smooth, slow, and deliberate motion like Soarin' wouldn't encounter as much stress on the cables as something with motion like a Star Tours type hexapod simulator.

Obviously, this is a completly different system than Soarin' or Star Tours, but with the right type of motion, this system could be ok for years without the need for cable replacement.

WishIwasThere

I think Tower's cables get replaced every few years, and there's only been one minor incident that I've heard of in the almost-18 years Florida's Tower has been open, and it happened in one of the low-speed lift shafts.

-Rob

Otis Elevator replaces the drop shaft cable about once every 6 months.

WishIwasThere

So this isn't for Avland I take it? Very interesting that this was filed over a year ago.

That is pretty quick from patent submitting to actually issuing of the patent. The patents I have took about three years between when patent was submitted to the patent office and when they were finally granted.

Rob562

That is pretty quick from patent submitting to actually issuing of the patent. The patents I have took about three years between when patent was submitted to the patent office and when they were finally granted.

This is the publication of the Patent Application. No patent has been issued for this yet.

-Rob

No Name

This ride system prototype can be seen in the imagineering in a box series. This video at about 3 minutes in and at about 3:11.

That lady is terrifying. I’ll stick to using Khan Academy for math help with Salman, thank you very much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom