Disney experts read!

lebernadin

Originally posted by HennieBogan1966
My opinion is that a vast majority of those people are largely uninformed on a lot of "real" issues not only in this country, but in their own back yard. Their reality tends to be "who's getting eliminated tonight" on the latest bonehead reality show. [\QUOTE]

I've watched Real World/Road Rules/Survivor since their inceptions. Granted, not every episode, but i liken your assumption to saying most people who watch Crossfire or Meet The Press have PoliSci degrees, its just not the case, its simply a personal preference. There are going to be dingbats interested in everything imaginable, some less than you, some more than you, but its only you, yourself, that place a tag of which interests are "better" than others. I'm sure there are people right now on reality show boards talking about yours and my interests in the same light. :)

It's due to a lack of talent and good writing for tv that these shows even exist.[\QUOTE]

Yes and no. I think too many people forget that when there were a good amount of, perceived, great shows on tv, we didn't have the number of channels on basic cable/satellite as we do these days. If you add pay channels it gets even worse. I think good/bad writers have been out of jobs since this trend but the percentage of reality versus non-reality isn't to the extent that we should pity them. When most of the lesser received reality shows die away, they fill those roles again.

Kramjam33

I am so glad that i have finally found people that share the love of disney world like i do!! Some people just dont get it...they dont understand that Disney is not like any other experience that is out there. Disney has that magic, and all other parks in the country dont have that. I hate it when people screw up simple things about disney, or even make fun of me for even talking a little about it. The general public wants complete mind blowing intensity thrills...if it isnt the biggest fastest thing, then they wont give anything else a thought. Disney has SO much more to offer than that. It is the greatest place. The atmosphere is just breath- taking. However, i am tyring to spread the word and teach my friends more about the magic of Disney World.

bucklmd

Original Poster
Oh, everyone is so right about everyone thinks that Disney World is just the Magic Kingdom. I understand that at one time it kind of was, but that's beside the point. I hate it when people do that. My boyfriend and I just came back and he hadn't been in 9-10 years. We were at Epcot and he asked if we were going to go to Disney World and I was like, excuse me??? Needless to say, he got a crash course in EVERYTHING he did or didn't want to know about Disney. I don't think he will ever make the same mistake again and he really is interested in all of it. I'm lucky that way I guess, and I am getting to educate him. He's the first boyfriend I've had that actually gets into it with me, just doesn't know as much as I do about WDW.

I guess we should all be understanding, but it's just funny to me how clueless some people are. I am clueless about a whole bunch of stuff!! But, one last story about clueless people. I was coming out of Test Track, which virtually had no wait at all, and a family of 4 rushed up to the Fastpass distribution. They were getting Fastpasses for a ride that had no wait. Honestly, sometimes just the people watching at Disney is worth the price of admission!

johnvree

Originally posted by strobe
I've always been baffled at the Universal / MGM thing. Even people IN the park don't know which one their at sometimes. I understand the parks are similar and someone who doesn't go a lot may tend to run them together, but it is a bit frustrating.

I've found you really can't argue with a lot of these people either. Most people think they know everything, and there is just no way they are going to admit they made an error. I had a long debate with someone once, who INSISTED they had "Back to the Future" in MGM. I even pulled up the Universal and MGM websites, the response was "Well, it was there when I was there". :lol:

You can't win!

Well that Delorean was unpredictable. It's not impossible it has time-jumped to MGM on occasion.:lol:

WDWFanatic

When i used to work retail people would buy those fake videos of aladdin and sleeping beauty, etc. and think they were the real videos because the covers were almost identical. I would have to explain that some werent available now and were in the "Vault" They looked at me like i was made of play doh.

ScrapIron

Did you know that the San Jose Sharks are first place in their division? Or that Sharks center Patrick Marleau was named to the All Star team for the first time? Or that the goalie the Sharks faced last night just set a modern NHL record for shutout streak? No?

Well, that's OK; I don't hate it that you don't know these things. You probably aren't a season ticket holder like myself. So if you don't know what's going on at the Tank, that's cool. And if someone doesn't know that Spiderman is at IOA and not in WDW, I'm not going to get to bent out of shape either. I'll reserve hate for more important things. Sorry, won't be able to hold it against someone that they don't have intimate knowledge of something that interests me and doesn't interest them. If they'd like to talk about it and learn something new, no problem.

mrtoad

Originally posted by SewIn2Disney
My one pet peeve is people who say Walt is frozen.

I had an hour long argument with a COLLEGE history professor and my class about it. No one was on my side. I even brought in pictures of his burial plot and death certificate. They said it was a fake.

It's a lose lose situation.

I have many more but they just get me sooo aggrivated.

Grrrrrrrr.:hammer: Some people are too ignorant for me:hammer:

Yeah but you go dig up that grave and you would see the same thing if you dug up Elvis or Jim Morrison, all empty... :animwink:

mrtoad

Originally posted by ItstheM
I went to Blockbuster after coming home from Disney and asked the girl who worked there if she had any Disney documentaries b/c I had just been there. She said they did not, and started to tell me how the only place she liked at Disney was the one with the giant golf ball!!!! I wanted to smack her upside the head...but did not....

I'm glad you brought that up. I was going to start a petition to have that god awful hand removed and have it replaced with a golf club. What do you think? :lol:

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by mrtoad
I'm glad you brought that up. I was going to start a petition to have that god awful hand removed and have it replaced with a golf club. What do you think? :lol:

:lol: couldn't be much worse than it already is!

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Dwarful
Yeah, I am in the same boat. Although the thing we hear all the time is "Why on earth do you want to go to the same old place year after year after year?" They don't understand our love of disney, or our desire to go back as much as we can. Hubby and I took alot of flack when we picked a WDW resort for our honeymoon destination, but we loved every minute of it, even brought home "a little souvineer" ;)

Still, those who don't love Disney, well, they just don't get it. Its the same w/most things, baseball, hockey, football etc. To non -Disney people its all Orlando and Disney World means Magic Kingdom, but hey that could be a whole other thread! Just grin and bear it, then come here and post, we all understand you.

oh, so YOU'RE the lady from that Disney Cruise commercial! :animwink:

seriously, though....me and my family get the same question...mainly from my grandparents. some of my friends didn't really get why we continually go back, while others were completely envious.

it's easy to talk to my immidiate family (mom, dad, sister) about WDW, since we all go together and know pretty much the same amount on the subject. but most everyone else i know, it's darn near impossible to talk at length with them about WDW. that's why the internet is such a blessing...because i found this site, and because i've found friends on the net who share an interest in WDW. we may not always see eye-to-eye on everything, but we still love Disney.
so, who cares about all those other people who don't understand us? we've got each other! :D

WDWhumanmap

people actually make fun of me and are like seriously you can't know everything and are truly not a human map i say quiz me they do and then they see who the one is laughing now.
another thing i feel with the person who posted this and i know all about the universal people are you serious we are disney people talk about people who aren't truly disney people they can actually cross over and change sides.:lol:

weluvtink

Yeah, I am in the same boat. Although the thing we hear all the time is "Why on earth do you want to go to the same old place year after year after year?" They don't understand our love of disney, or our desire to go back as much as we can. Hubby and I took alot of flack when we picked a WDW resort for our honeymoon destination, but we loved every minute of it, even brought home "a little souvineer" ;)

Still, those who don't love Disney, well, they just don't get it. Its the same w/most things, baseball, hockey, football etc. To non -Disney people its all Orlando and Disney World means Magic Kingdom, but hey that could be a whole other thread! Just grin and bear it, then come here and post, we all understand you.
People who question why we go to Disney every year are the same people who go to the same beach every year. I will never believe that 's more fun. BTW, my husband I went there on our honeymoon too, 5/9/98, and our son was born 2/9/99. You do the math. :) :)

no2apprentice

Sometimes I feel like I am adrift in a sea of Disney ignorance when I am at work (notice I say ignorance, not stupidity - there is a difference). Last year someone asked me where I was going on vacation and I said DisneyWorld. They asked if I was going to see anything else while I was in California.:lol: There are a couple of fellow workers who enjoy WDW, but they are not near as passionate as I am. They now usually come to me for advice when planning their visits (not really sure if that's wise or not:hammer: ).

Minor drift: last year when we had our firearms qualifications at the range, I made a point of wearing a Disney polo shirt and one of my favorite WDW hats. Keep in mind that testosterone tends to run high at qualification time. Most of the guys (and gals) wear various combinations of different BDU's, or shirts and hats with our agency's logo on them. I took a few jabbings, got a lot of smirks, and a few "what the..." looks. The jabbings, smirks, and looks went away when I walked off the range with the highest score.

Nothing like Disney Magic. :D

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by weluvtink
People who question why we go to Disney every year are the same people who go to the same beach every year. I will never believe that 's more fun. BTW, my husband I went there on our honeymoon too, 5/9/98, and our son was born 2/9/99. You do the math. :) :)

:lol: :lol: so true like my friend who says "why do you keep going back to disney so much we need to have a NEW experience"...so what is her idea?... "let's go on a cruise/let's go to new york"...this would be a lovely suggestion had it not come from a person who has been to new york and cruises as much as I have been to Disney...:rolleyes: how hypocritical

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by no2apprentice
Sometimes I feel like I am adrift in a sea of Disney ignorance when I am at work (notice I say ignorance, not stupidity - there is a difference). Last year someone asked me where I was going on vacation and I said DisneyWorld. They asked if I was going to see anything else while I was in California.:lol: There are a couple of fellow workers who enjoy WDW, but they are not near as passionate as I am. They now usually come to me for advice when planning their visits (not really sure if that's wise or not:hammer: ).

Minor drift: last year when we had our firearms qualifications at the range, I made a point of wearing a Disney polo shirt and one of my favorite WDW hats. Keep in mind that testosterone tends to run high at qualification time. Most of the guys (and gals) wear various combinations of different BDU's, or shirts and hats with our agency's logo on them. I took a few jabbings, got a lot of smirks, and a few "what the..." looks. The jabbings, smirks, and looks went away when I walked off the range with the highest score.

Nothing like Disney Magic. :D

:sohappy: congrats thats very cool! disney magic triumphs over all non-believers...:confused: don't know how much sense that made but oh well congrats anyway!

Disfan44

Definitely not an expert and

this is my very first post but here goes...

This will be our first time to WDW but we've been to DL seven times. Like many (if not all) of you, the "magic" of Disney is at once both exhilarating and calming. It's hard to describe, esp. to folks who haven't experienced it for themselves. I too have also tried in vain to explain my feelings to friends and family but hey, I'm sorta glad that not everyone 'gets it', otherwise there'd be 3 hour waits for every ride. lol

Aloha,

Ron

Lovecraft

Welcome to the boards Ron and Mahalo for sharing your thoughts!

What part of Hawaii are you in? I grew up on Oahu :) -- in Hawaii Kai, Kailua and Mililani Town.

Man, I want to go back home... the beach here, while very nice, just isn't the same. Neither is island life.

RE: Walt Disney World and not everybody "getting it". I am very glad for this, besides the long waits at the rides if the other were the case, I actually LIKE being around people that go to WDW at the parks.

I can't say the same for the people I am around when I go to Universal Studios or a Six Flags park.

When someone thinks I am odd or strange because of my love for WDW (if they haven't found me odd or strange for other reasons first) I just smile and think to myself, "well, I, for one, am very happy that I have found my laughin' place :)" then I hope they have found theirs.

FanofDinsey1981

I had an excellent moment at work on Friday. I was cleaning out some old files of one of the dean's travel logs, and something fell out of the 'orlando 1999' file. when I looked down to see what I had dropped, I knew the picture right off. it was a postcard from coronado springs, one that they give you for free in the drawers in your hotel room! and I was so excited! I was working in a back office, and I ran to the front to talk to a co-worker. I told her the story, and she looked at me kinda funny, but laughed non the less. she was amazed that I knew just by looking at the front that it was from WDW, and a postcard!

*sigh* I knew you guys would understand. :)

oh, and the dean let me keep the postcard. :sohappy:

Welsh Chick

Hey Hennie, not to drift here,but, unfortunately I think that more people are watching those "reality shows" than they are watching the primarys, state of the union, etc. Personally I don't watch alot of tv, and when I do, its usually Law & Order, Monarch of the Glen, or Are You Being Served? I am too busy living my life to watch other people pretend to be living theirs!

But, I certainly hope people dont think that what they are watching is reality.

You get Monarch of the Glen and Are you being served? in America? Thats really cool
I love Monarch of the Glen!!
(I do apologise that this has nothing to do with the topic!)

Matterbuggy

Even if you go just once, you should at least know the major rides. I don't really understand, how you can't tell the two apart.

As for American Idol, I watch it. I don't really get what you mean by it.. but I think I know where you're coming from. I watch the news, and government things, even though I'm still a teen. I think there can be a mix of the two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom