Disney executives have come up with the answer to rock bottom Cast Member morale

skypilot2922

Gung Ho movie from the 1980s was a classic and yes American made cars back then were trash ( my Olds and Chevy for example ).

The takeaway from that movie has been lost by both US Management and US Labor, You need Management and Labor working in concert to create great products be they cars or magical moments at WDW. Now everything is a zero sum game i.e. one side 'wins' the other 'loses'.

Want great consumer products they come from Japan and Germany (with it's workers councils which include both management and labor and each has a vote at the table)

lightguy

No, it's not misleading. I am talking a straight division of the 1 billion, regardless of hours. If you want to get technical, it would be a yearly bonus of 2k+.
Agreed- which is why I said it was misleading, not false. Practically speaking it's not likely they would distribute bonuses evenly regardless of hours worked. A high school kid working 10 hours as week wouldn't be getting the same $2k that a full time employee got. As a result, the amount that went to full time employees would be significantly higher.

skypilot2922

Agreed- which is why I said it was misleading, not false. Practically speaking it's not likely they would distribute bonuses evenly regardless of hours worked. A high school kid working 10 hours as week wouldn't be getting the same $2k that a full time employee got. As a result, the amount that went to full time employees would be significantly higher.

Yet its 'acceptable' to give senior leadership a significant fraction of that 1 billion for their 'brilliant leadership' where in reality it's probably their administrative assistant who had the good ideas. (Like Zenia to Iger).

Basil of Baker Street

Anyone who works 40 hours a week should be paid enough so that person can afford the basic minimum to live. A decent, safe roof over their head, food and clothes for themselves and their children, transportation (whatever form that takes for their locale) and medical insurance.

I'm not talking about taking vacations to Disney, or driving a fancy car or having designer clothes, either, so don't even bother going there.
Single or multi income family?

Jimmy Thick

The job market is the best its been for jobs seekers ever. If people are unhappy with their current employer, like Disney World employees, then its never been better to move on to a better paying job and work conditions.

A nice belief statement sounds like a delightful way to get teams in gear for dealing with the masses who paid an absolute fortune to be there.

Bocabear

It's really easy to say that, but the fact is, while companies are hiring like mad, they aren't paying well... Locally they have opened a new luxury oceanfront resort (Maren) they put an ad out that they were hiring front desk staf...Now mind you, the Front Desk staff is a quest's first and usually only point of contact with the hotel. They would be required to be well groomed and dressed and handle guest problems all day long.
The pay they are offering for this position?
$10.40/hr...
Wal Mart Greeters make the same amount. And how is someone working full time at this hotel supposed to be able to afford to live let alone have freshly starched shirts every day.
Average cost of a 1 bedroom apartment is over $1000.00/Mo and that is not a nice 1 Bedroom apartment. So let's review... 40 hour week at $10.40 hr+ $416... After taxes it would be less than $300... in a month the max take home pay would be $1200.00...from which you have to pay your rent, feed and clothe yourself, and get transportation to and from work... There are a lot of jobs available out there but unfortunately in most cases, they are not paying enough to survive on...

matt9112

Damage can go unnoticed and/or progress over years (see Surfside). A smaller weather event can also be a tipping point. The insurance company is not obligated to cover the work if damage does not actually exist.

Wait are you comparing concrete and structural steel failure on a 13 story building to a single family dwellings roof?

skypilot2922

It's really easy to say that, but the fact is, while companies are hiring like mad, they aren't paying well... Locally they have opened a new luxury oceanfront resort (Maren) they put an ad out that they were hiring front desk staf...Now mind you, the Front Desk staff is a quest's first and usually only point of contact with the hotel. They would be required to be well groomed and dressed and handle guest problems all day long.
$10.40/hr...
Wal Mart Greeters make the same amount. And how is someone working full time at this hotel supposed to be able to afford to live let alone have freshly starched shirts every day.
Average cost of a 1 bedroom apartment is over $1000.00/Mo and that is not a nice 1 Bedroom apartment. So let's review... 40 hour week at $10.40 hr+ $416... After taxes it would be less than $300... in a month the max take home pay would be $1200.00...from which you have to pay your rent, feed and clothe yourself, and get transportation to and from work... There are a lot of jobs available out there but unfortunately in most cases, they are not paying enough to survive on...

You can bet your bottom dollar that the hotel company is lobbying congress for 'guest workers' which is a lie because there is no shortage of workers available, There is however a shortage of workers willing to work below subsistence level wages. The pandemic has had one useful side effect of showing how corporate america has distorted the labor market with 'guest workers' and now it's resetting to a more normal state.

Prior to the pandemic the hospitality industry up here was shut out of the 'guest worker' market specifically they could not hire H2B's for servers and housekeepers and pay low tax subsidized wage. They horrors actually had to hire high schoolers/college kids and moms working mom hours and ended up paying 14-18/Hr they raised rates moderately and everything went smoothly.

No there was no market for jobs at the minimum wage or below (tipped employees) but with sufficient pay magically the workers appeared. Just like Adam Smith said it would in The Wealth of Nations.

matt9112

Yes they were.

“It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.” - FDR

Now if you’d like to argue with FDR let’s go to the hall of presidents thread :p

One of the worst presidents ever. But hey saving the world am i right?

flynnibus

Premium Member
$10.40/hr...

For another anecdotal observation.... Walking out of Walmart today... sandwich board at the door listed the roles they were hiring... overnight stockers were getting $18.50/hr and other roles were basically $15/hr.

Trauma

I have no education at all.

Well I finished the 8th grade. ( had to get a GED to enlist )

When I entered the workforce I never once complained about a living wage.

I knew what I was.

Someone would had no freaking skills and wasn’t worth much.

So I worked harder than everyone, everyday.

I worked hard on myself also.

85+ Hour work weeks where normal.

I am so thankful for every one of those experiences.

They helped shape who I am.

I’m successful through sure force of will, anyone could do what I did.

Don’t waste time looking for a handout or a living wage whatever that is.

Create your own dreams, no one is going to save you.

Lilofan

For another anecdotal observation.... Walking out of Walmart today... sandwich board at the door listed the roles they were hiring... overnight stockers were getting $18.50/hr and other roles were basically $15/hr.
Home Depot cashiers get paid less. The guy was saying when I was there recently he was making $12 per hour.

Jimmy Thick

$10.40/hr...
Ok why then are people taking $10 an hour jobs when they know first hand it don't pay the bills? If you look online there are no experience warehouse jobs starting between $17-20 dollars an hour in the Orlando area so if you want a job at Disney or for some odd reason a front desk hotel job for $10 an hour then the blame falls directly on the person applying.

Enough with the excuses or feeling of entitlement. If people want to work for Disney you get paid what they pay you, just because Iger or whomever makes more in a year then the entire staff of Disney World does not mean those workers are entitled to more pay because of it, the CEO of Disney like it or not has a harder job than the person pointing two fingers towards the restroom when asked.

People need to take stock in themselves to pursue a better life and to make things happen. Disney World was built by a guy with a dream and that is lost on the hapless masses punching a clock complaining about how little they make or that they have to listen to a belief statement.

Lilofan

Ok why then are people taking $10 an hour jobs when they know first hand it don't pay the bills? If you look online there are no experience warehouse jobs starting between $17-20 dollars an hour in the Orlando area so if you want a job at Disney or for some odd reason a front desk hotel job for $10 an hour then the blame falls directly on the person applying.

Enough with the excuses or feeling of entitlement. If people want to work for Disney you get paid what they pay you, just because Iger or whomever makes more in a year then the entire staff of Disney World does not mean those workers are entitled to more pay because of it, the CEO of Disney like it or not has a harder job than the person pointing two fingers towards the restroom when asked.

People need to take stock in themselves to pursue a better life and to make things happen. Disney World was built by a guy with a dream and that is lost on the hapless masses punching a clock complaining about how little they make or that they have to listen to a belief statement.
Some blame Iger for his highly paid salary and bonuses. His salary is per his employment contract and bonuses he has achieved and compensated for are also spelled out in his contract.

Basil of Baker Street

Hard to argue any of that. Disney is a nice place for a secondary income or a 2nd job. I wouldn't want to try and raise a family on it.

dennis-in-ct

Disney's response is sad, but it's typical. Back when I worked in Public Accounting and morale was always low due to the 65-70 hour weeks, the best they could come up with was providing free Pizza every Saturday (required to be in every Saturday for 4 months).

Attachments

• 52E0D0C3-381D-4B0C-8E05-1339ADCBB500.jpeg
    52E0D0C3-381D-4B0C-8E05-1339ADCBB500.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 63

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom