News Disney Exec Resignation

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
just pointing out a funny thing: in 30 years there will be someone on wdwmagic defending chapek just like you're defending eisner now

"but he wasn't that bad! look at all the good he did!"
No…because Eisner built half the stuff that people gush about and feel all proud to pay for…

Example: I see people (praetorians) throw barbs at Eisner and throw money at DCL three times a year…

…like…really? 🙄

Casper Gutman

Much of Eisner’s early successes were built on Miller’s work.
And much - most, really - of Chapek’s failure is the product of decisions and actions taken by Iger. Chapek was set up to fail in the most blatant fashion possible, and then, ON TOP of that, was hammered by an unimaginable series of global and domestic changes and crises that no CEO could have weathered.

Chapek is a bean-counter totally unequal to the task of running Disney in the best of times. He needs to go sometime after the current Florida crisis has passed, but he strikes me as something of a pathetic figure, worthy of pity. Iger, despite his great skill at running the studios, is far more worthy of contempt.

ImperfectPixie

And much - most, really - of Chapek’s failure is the product of decisions and actions taken by Iger. Chapek was set up to fail in the most blatant fashion possible, and then, ON TOP of that, was hammered by an unimaginable series of global and domestic changes and crises that no CEO could have weathered.

Chapek is a bean-counter totally unequal to the task of running Disney in the best of times. He needs to go sometime after the current Florida crisis has passed, but he strikes me as something of a pathetic figure, worthy of pity. Iger, despite his great skill at running the studios, is far more worthy of contempt.
I can agree with you on this, aside from Chapek deserving pity. Attempting to use the pandemic to cry "poor Disney" after Johannsen filed her lawsuit was disgusting (among other things).

Last edited:

Lilofan

It is incredible that an outside search for a CEO when Iger was leaving came up with little or nothing? Then the Disney Board was fully on board of promoting Chapek to the top position.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I can agree with you on this, aside from Chapek deserving pity. Attempting to use the pandemic to cry "poor Disney" after Johannsen filed her lawsuit was disgusting (among other things).
Fair enough, although one could claim this was an unimaginative man trapped in a corporate culture Iger had built, a culture that was proving entirely unequal to a global pandemic.

I’m not going to send Chapek any flowers, but Disney today, the good and the bad - Iger built it.

It seems to me that much of what Chapek is guilty of is not making earthshaking, revolutionary changes in the company at a time of almost unprecedented uncertainty and instability and with no personal mandate or indication of trust from his predecessor or the board. I’m not sure many CEOs wouldn’t be guilty of that.

ImperfectPixie

Fair enough, although one could claim this was an unimaginative man trapped in a corporate culture Iger had built, a culture that was proving entirely unequal to a global pandemic.

I’m not going to send Chapek any flowers, but Disney today, the good and the bad - Iger built it.
Without a doubt...the majority of what we've seen under Chapek was put into motion under Iger's watch.

However, Chapek's ties to merchandise and the negatives associated with his role (The Disney Vault, the end of the DVD replacement program, enormous decline in quality and variety in the parks and online, etc., etc.) shouldn't be overlooked. I see them as a forewarning of what was to come.
It seems to me that much of what Chapek is guilty of is not making earthshaking, revolutionary changes in the company at a time of almost unprecedented uncertainty and instability and with no personal mandate or indication of trust from his predecessor or the board. I’m not sure many CEOs wouldn’t be guilty of that.
That he hemmed and hawed before standing up for his employees (and the Johannsen lawsuit) speak volumes about his leadership abilities and style. I don't envy any CEO their responsibilities during a world-wide pandemic, but Chapek has done things that clearly indicate that even in a time of calm and prosperity, he'd be a lousy leader. Iger's public lack of confidence could just be further attempted grooming of his own image and using Chapek as a scapegoat for things that he was responsible for putting into motion.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
No…because Eisner built half the stuff that people gush about and feel all proud to pay for…

They are quite valid I think. Tower of terror, Tony baxter's work, soarin over CA.. some of the best rides in disney parks. dude wasn't afraid of originality and risk.

He has a dark side in his tenure, but the good stuff under him is legendary.

JoeCamel

And yet he accepted the position.
Goes to show how clueless he is.

GimpYancIent

B.I. was the real-life Disney version of the character Gordon Gekko he had his day has his fat bank account and it would not be helpful, wise nor beneficial for him to return. B.C. is a Disney version of Lex Luthor the sooner he and his cronies follow the resignation example the sooner TWDC can reorganize and rechart its course.

Casper Gutman

B.I. was the real-life Disney version of the character Gordon Gekko he had his day has his fat bank account and it would not be helpful, wise nor beneficial for him to return. B.C. is a Disney version of Lex Luthor the sooner he and his cronies follow the resignation example the sooner TWDC can reorganize and rechart its course.
I don't get this at all... Lex Luthor is hyper-competent in every field, has a very clear ideological vision, and is, of course, profoundly evil. He's in control of every situation. That's the exact opposite of modern Bob. I can't think of a fictional parallel to Chapek, a fall guy who falls faster then anyone ever expected.

TrainsOfDisney

They are quite valid I think. Tower of terror, Tony baxter's work, soarin over CA.. some of the best rides in disney parks. dude wasn't afraid of originality and risk.

He has a dark side in his tenure, but the good stuff under him is legendary.
And the hotels that Eisner had built (exception of the swan and dolphin) are the definition of what Disney resorts should be.

Let’s look at the more recent “resorts” and compare....

GimpYancIent

I don't get this at all... Lex Luthor is hyper-competent in every field, has a very clear ideological vision, and is, of course, profoundly evil. He's in control of every situation. That's the exact opposite of modern Bob. I can't think of a fictional parallel to Chapek, a fall guy who falls faster then anyone ever expected.
B.C.'s behaviors and actions are clear that he believes he is "hyper-competent in every field, has a very clear ideological vision" "he is in control of every situation". He behaves in a manner where he does not see what everyone else see's. He acts like believes he possesses all the strong characteristic's of the fictional character in actuality he does not and just ends up in reality stumbling and bumbling.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh he’s an absolute buffoon.

Let’s not start to believe that the evil germ made him “look bad”…he would be a mediocre/bad manager making different bad decisions now if it hadn’t have happened.

But here’s what good: people can’t do the Iger thing…where the quarterlies/stock price was used as “proof” of good management.

False…the market just wants money. They don’t “reward good management”. That ended decades ago.

So Bob would be lauded as he did awful, cheapskate, short sighted nonsense…because quarterlies would be up. And it would embolden him to do more.

We have to start “adulting” when looking at Disney. It’s better for everyone in the longterm.

Unless you hate your kids/grandkids

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And the hotels that Eisner had built (exception of the swan and dolphin) are the definition of what Disney resorts should be.

…there is none.

And that’s Iger. If anyone wants to meet me and take a tour of riviera…I’ll point out what sucks. Most notably the lines/transitions/spacing/theming

surfsupdon

This is absolutely true. He orchestrated many awesome resorts.

But to also take it one step farther, the current Tower hotels are products of lazy, overweight society and those folk not wanting more steps after a day in the parks. Get rid of lush, themed, landscaped environments and give me a tower that I can walk down a hallway, ride an elevator, and have all amenities right downstairs. It is why the spread out resorts also have "preferred" sections now. Too many folk don't enjoy the walk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom