News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

PolynesianPrincess

Guess these people never saw Disneyland Forever. I remember similar complaints about a lack of history.

Well, that did at least include a line about orange groves.

And had a great song.

Disneyland Forever at least touched on the history of DL. They had an audio clip of Walt's voice in the beginning that gave me goosebumps right away. They had a visual of Mickey and Walt hand in hand on the castle at the end. I feel like Enchantment did nothing at all to touch on the history of the parks and despite only seeing it online, I didn't feel any feels. Disneyland Forever at least gave me some feels.

PolynesianPrincess

just a note, Disneyland’s 60th I think you mean. Disneyland is only 66.

Even the 60th fireworks were not the best in terms of an anniversary show. Despite the opening narration, it had nothing else to do with 60 years of Disneyland.

So far Disney hasn’t topped RDCT for anniversary spectaculars.

RDCT was AWESOME! Was that an anniversary show? I only saw it back in 2014 and I LOVED how they incorporated all the lands into the show. It was park focused which I was hoping and expecting Enchantment to be, but it wasn't.

stuart

Considering how popular HEA was/is it would have been far easier to keep it, and add on a 50th anniversary tag for the length of the celebration.

A tag is something that could still be done. Design and sourcing of pyro would set it back until the year's end / start of next perhaps but it would be good to see it happen.

DonaldDoleWhip

RDCT was AWESOME! Was that an anniversary show? I only saw it back in 2014 and I LOVED how they incorporated all the lands into the show. It was park focused which I was hoping and expecting Enchantment to be, but it wasn't.
RDCT was a Disneyland gift for the 50th, along with Buzz Lightyear and an overhaul for Space Mountain (updated audio + complete track rebuild).

Never got the see it live (it was cancelled due to wind when I tried to see it), but from everyone’s feedback, it set a very high benchmark for an anniversary show.

Disney Analyst

Yes! Created for the 50th anniversary in 2005. Ended its run, came back several times. It’s an incredible show.

RDCT is the show which they got rid of Tink’s zip line for and switched to a full flying system.

They also surrounded the hub with pyro, to make it a fully immersive experience.

vikescaper

Considering how popular HEA was/is it would have been far easier to keep it, and add on a 50th anniversary tag for the length of the celebration.

A tag is something that could still be done. Design and sourcing of pyro would set it back until the year's end / start of next perhaps but it would be good to see it happen.
I think a 50th tag for HEA would have been perfect and they could have even used “The Magic is Calling” for the music for it.

DorysDitty

Just watched for the 2nd time (video) and the first viewing for my 8 year old Disney pro. Her reaction was “it’s good, but it’s not as good as HEA. At least there was Luca.” My kids love Luca. We had to rewind 3x for my youngest to
catch the quick clip with Alberto.

On second viewing I noticed two things:
1. The clips are so quick you can barely register what they are.
2. There are NO character voices or original versions of any songs. That’s what’s missing. Familiarity. Olaf and “some people are worth melting for” or Tiana telling us to “make a wish and hold it tight.” That’s what makes it seem cold and distant. Only like 3 voices within all the music except choir at the end.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My god what a disappointment. Remember, when DL did their anniversary they got what was considered the greatest castle/fireworks show they had ever had for their nighttime anchor. One that could hold up even today even 15+ years later.

We get this nerfed show for WDW's biggest anniversary...

1) Why does Disney insist on keep recording new versions of their classics into poppy trash? Its like they don't want to pay their own royalties or something... each show this gets worse and worse. I don't want to hear whatever no-name you are trying to pump up - you're playing those songs for the connections people have and the performances that made them stand out. HEA opening song is of this formula and it's the low point of the show.. at least that show recovers and while the closer is close, at least the closer is a ton better. Enchanted is this all the way through..

I mean, I'm a metal guy.. I'm wearing a Iron Maiden shirt as I type this.. and GIVE ME THE REAL ORCHESTRAL NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN, not your new guitar version of it! I don't want to hear wannabe Trans Siberian Orchestra here!!

The no voices anywhere makes me wonder if content licensing isn't a part of the equation... even though it should all be in house.

2) The Main Street Projections are a complete waste. I have no idea why they continued with it in this show.. it was bland when they did it at Disneyland... and this execution is just as meh. I can only think some people are convinced this is an operational improvement to draw people away from the hub. They are lame and we should have spent that money elsewhere.

3) Was there anything in the projections that stood out as grabbing you? Nothing to me... it's like they lost all the institutional knowledge they built up over the prior projection shows that previously culminated in what we get in HEA.

4) There really seemed like poor tying between what is going on in the castle and the fireworks. I mean, there were some minor moments, but overall it really didn't stand out as impressive or even cohesive for the bulk of the show. This is another skill set they had been refining through the last castle shows and this one felt mailed in. Where were the wow moments or emotional hooks?

5) Same boring structure... I mean many of Disney's shows have fallen to this opener, clip segments, then closer format.. but while this one doesn't feel as nearly as bad as Harmonious in that disjointed clips, this really just gave me nothing in the progression or overall emotional ride through the show

6) BORING - the things above really kept me from getting hooked in any part of the show.. I had a moment of interest about the 5min mark hoping it was getting better and it was just the opening segments that were flat... but it never got me but slightly interested. This show played out like so many of the weak DHS firework shows instead of the anchors we are used to at MK.

I did like those shells that did the climbing rings in their secondary burn... those were cool. The laser potential was cool.. but where were the great laser effects TO the castle that gave such cool effects in prior shows?

I'll give it more shots when we get some good video from the hub... but after the first watch... what a letdown and bore. I'd only watch again because I'm such a fan and I hope to find something to appreciate and hope something will start to stick.

PolynesianPrincess

RDCT was a Disneyland gift for the 50th, along with Buzz Lightyear and an overhaul for Space Mountain (updated audio + complete track rebuild).

Never got the see it live (it was cancelled due to wind when I tried to see it), but from everyone’s feedback, it set a very high benchmark for an anniversary show.

I REALLY like RDCT! It was the first fireworks show I saw at Disneyland and I remember wishing MK would get something like that, something that touched on the park itself.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The park is turning 50 years old and instead of celebrating adventureland, frontierland, et al. We get a clip show of Disney animation, also the clips projected onto the castle weren't even well animated reminds me of the Once Upon s Time projection in Tokyo without any through line to connect the various clips.

Like I have said if your PR can't even say if your new 50th entertainment is good or bad ... well you have a problem.
I’ll say it again. The old celebrate the magic projection show paid more homage to Disney Mickey and Walt himself more than any of the 50th celebration shows. Sadly

Dan Deesnee

For those who have seen better versions of the show, does IT incorporate any of the 50th decorations that are on the castle? Like utilizing the big 50 or something like that?

That will be your key right there if this is going to stick around after the 50th celebration is over. I guess they could always retool the show but if it uses elements that we know are going to be going away then that's a good sign that either a new show will be introduced or HEA will return.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That last song.. they should have renamed it "You are the chimes" instead of "you are the magic"... that non-stop chimes was an illegal assault on your senses.

ToTBellHop

I'm serious when I say I agree with you 100%.

Where there heck is Jiminy Cricket? Why aren't we hearing When You Wish Upon a Star? That is the BIGGEST miss of all of this.
Angela Bassett is a boss but Jiminy doing the show announcements and singing a verse would have SIGNIFICANTLY aided the nostalgia issue. For many years, Jiminy was the voice of nighttime in the MK. He would ratchet the charm up dramatically.

Disneyson

I'm serious when I say I agree with you 100%.

Where there heck is Jiminy Cricket? Why aren't we hearing When You Wish Upon a Star? That is the BIGGEST miss of all of this.
I'm trying to reserve judgment until I get to the parks (I haven't seen any videos), but I'd like to point this out...

If this show is hell-bent on brand new Intellectual Property and "covers" as so many people have said in the comments, I can't for the life of me understand why the show does not include this song. I'd argue that the juxtaposition of the castle and "When You Wish Upon A Star" is the strongest IP that Disney owns, and it is always the most current, as it is portrayed in nearly EVERY SINGLE DISNEY FILM OF ALL TIME in the logo. If you have seen a Disney film, you have heard the song AND have seen a castle with fireworks exploding from behind it. A true no-brainer. Even HEA did it, knowingly pinging the lizard brain of 80s-90s kids by coating the castle in blue and shooting a blue comet over the castle in montage, JUST like the old VHS title cards.

This, along with the fact that it would create synergy with the Pinnochio remake, makes me wonder why anyone would do a castle show (ESPECIALLY a "50th Show") without even a call-out to the moment.

cslafferty

Someone posted this on Twitter. Don’t know where it originated from.

Attachments

• 3F1C881C-6BFE-46C6-87FC-7C0C2D6A6DBA.jpeg
    3F1C881C-6BFE-46C6-87FC-7C0C2D6A6DBA.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 92

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom