News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

TTA94

If things with Harmonious are truly not going well and a rework is coming, I hope something gets done with Enchantment. I can’t imagine the reviews are any better then Harmonious.

disneylandtour

I do not know what was tested last night. But I do know that for months there have been supply issues with fireworks arriving from China. Perhaps what was tested was either (1) extra pyro that was originally intended for the show back in October but only arriving now OR (2) alternate shells as some of the regular shells are temporarily unavailable.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If things with Harmonious are truly not going well and a rework is coming, I hope something gets done with Enchantment. I can’t imagine the reviews are any better then Harmonious.
Apparently ignoring the serious fans, its doing OK. A lot of MK guests are just looking for some fireworks and Enchantment will do in that regard. I'm not sure we will see any significant changes, but then I also don't expect to see it around for all that long. So the missteps can be swept under the rug when a new show is introduced.

James Alucobond

Enchantment is an easy fix, though. Just say it was specifically for the 50th and then roll it back to Happily Ever After once the castle's 50th decor comes down, maybe with enhancements that utilize the Main Street projectors. Harmonious, by contrast, has purpose-built infrastructure and is a central part of the park's transformation.

ToTBellHop

Apparently ignoring the serious fans, its doing OK. A lot of MK guests are just looking for some fireworks and Enchantment will do in that regard. I'm not sure we will see any significant changes, but then I also don't expect to see it around for all that long. So the missteps can be swept under the rug when a new show is introduced.
I get the impression we will get a new show pretty soon after the 50th ends, now. New MK shows aren’t that hard to produce. I think a lot of fans would tolerate DE more if they made an announcement that it is a 50th-exclusive.

Any issues with Harm are obviously more serious for the reasons you mentioned in your news update. I think updates are likely (but we need to be realistic and understand the donut and tacos will stay). The phrase “too big to fail” comes to mind.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I get the impression we will get a new show pretty soon after the 50th ends, now. New MK shows aren’t that hard to produce. I think a lot of fans would tolerate DE more if they made an announcement that it is a 50th-exclusive.

Any issues with Harm are obviously more serious for the reasons you mentioned in your news update. I think updates are likely (but we need to be realistic and understand the donut and tacos will stay). The phrase “too big to fail” comes to mind.
Yes I see now way that any of the hardware goes. I think changes to the show are very likely.

Something else to note, is that the hardware is continuing to be a challenge. It is requiring considerably resources to keep running, and while we are still in the honeymoon phase for the show, I wonder what will happen later down the line when the newness fades and resources are cut.

mattpeto

Yes I see now way that any of the hardware goes. I think changes to the show are very likely.

Something else to note, is that the hardware is continuing to be a challenge. It is requiring considerably resources to keep running, and while we are still in the honeymoon phase for the show, I wonder what will happen later down the line when the newness fades and resources are cut.

I think it would just go a long way with fans just to have the barges movable and out of the lagoon during the day. I know there are some hurdles with that, but that would be the big win.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think it would just go a long way with fans just to have the barges movable and out of the lagoon during the day. I know there are some hurdles with that, but that would be the big win.
Agreed, but really doubt it will happen. If the budget wasn't there in the development stage, I don't see it being added back in going forward. It was obviously a huge mistake, and I really don't know what they were thinking. Only conclusion is that there were far too many "yes people" going along with what was obvious to anyone a bad idea. Someone along the way needed to stand up and say "you are out of your mind."

ToTBellHop

Agreed, but really doubt it will happen. If the budget wasn't there in the development stage, I don't see it being added back in going forward. It was obviously a huge mistake, and I really don't know what they were thinking. Only conclusion is that there were far too many "yes people" going along with what was obvious to anyone a bad idea. Someone along the way needed to stand up and say "you are out of your mind."
My biggest gripe is honestly with the machinery being stationary. I don’t blame the team for this being IP-based. The former CEO and current CEO want that for Epcot. Only a fool would question the CEO. But the team certainly should have decided the visual intrusions were unacceptable all day and the barges needed to be mobile. If budget was an issue, cut the donut, which makes no sense for an in-the-round show and adds very little even when it is working and you have a good view.

I find the acceptance of the daytime visual intrusion to be VERY concerning. The current team of Imagineers shows a shocking level of incompetence and spinelessness.

trainplane3

My biggest gripe is honestly with the machinery being stationary. I don’t blame the team for this being IP-based. The former CEO and current CEO want that for Epcot. Only a fool would question the CEO. But the team certainly should have decided the visual intrusions were unacceptable all day and the barges needed to be mobile. If budget was an issue, cut the donut, which makes no sense for an in-the-round show and adds very little even when it is working and you have a good view.

I find the acceptance of the daytime visual intrusion to be VERY concerning. The current team of Imagineers shows a shocking level of incompetence and spinelessness.
I'm still shocked they didn't do a larger globe. Doing a flat screen, and a water screen at that, was one of the most brainless ideas in this entire project. Watching videos where the donut platform fails leads to the show being better.

They should've known people want to see the middle screen. People will always want to see that. So instead of fixing a common RoE complaint, they made it flat with only 3 good angles of it. And only 1 angle works well enough to even be worth it. Then again, floor boy likes flat surfaces so it might make sense how this happened...

*I'm well aware it's not going away before anyone thinks I expect that*

UNCgolf

I haven't even seen Harmonious, but based on reading reactions to it, I get the impression that the show pieces were designed well before they decided what to do with them. Like they just wanted to build some impressive technology and then surely they could figure out some way to harness it successfully, instead of designing a show and then building the necessary infrastructure to accomplish that vision.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Agreed, but they don't even have space backstage for all of them now. Still baffled by the choices of what they kept when budget was obviously reduced for this versus what they nixed. They ditched a 360° centerpiece but kept the armatures? Removing the armatures would've allowed for much slimmer barges, and keeping a centerpiece designed to be viewed from all angles would've salvaged all of the restaurants and firework party locations around the lagoon that are no longer prime real estate for viewing the show.

And the daytime fountain debacle is just 🤦‍♂️

TTA94

Is it safe to assume nothing will change until 2023 when the 50th is over? Guessing they feel Enchantment will be good enough till the end of the 50th?

mattpeto

Is it safe to assume nothing will change until 2023 when the 50th is over? Guessing they feel Enchantment will be good enough till the end of the 50th?
I think that’s the safe assumption, unless they do something 100th related at MK.

As much as we all want HEA back, it takes a whole lot of eating crow by execs and directors to rollback the older show.

Never say never, but not likely.

UNCgolf

I no longer expect it to return. They’ll just make another castle show including the latest hits.

Which is a bit strange, even from a business perspective. I understand they want to push their new movies, but most kids watch at least some of the older Disney animated films as well and those also sell merch, not to mention the nostalgia push for older visitors.

fgmnt

Which is a bit strange, even from a business perspective. I understand they want to push their new movies, but most kids watch at least some of the older Disney animated films as well and those also sell merch, not to mention the nostalgia push for older visitors.

Everyone can be happy if you swap some elements from HEA out and keep its original music and narration.

Animaniac93-98

Exposing people to the back catalog also encourages them to seek out lesser known titles and give them renewed interest. That's important for things like a streaming service or Movie Club which can only put out so much new content at a time.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Babes in Toyland name dropped during the last Christmas Parade broadcast, and mentioning it is on Disney+. It really doesn't take much or detract from the promotion of newer releases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom