News 'Disney Dreams That Soar' Drone show coming to Walt Disney World this summer

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I haven't seen anything from Universal.......

Disney: "Come see our drone show at Disney Springs!"

Universal:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It's a relatively quick, easy way to increase DS foot traffic without disrupting operations. Crowds at the Springs have dipped, and those paying a premium to sell there have made their displeasure known.
Counter Point: Won’t this drive guests out of stores and restaurants to watch or find viewing for the show?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Where are the paywall screamers? This one is for you.
If it’s good, then Disney gets a thumbs up for bringing a little bit of magic back for guests without charging them for it.
Probably but people are going to be going to Disney springs to watch the show and while they're waiting what else is there to do at Disney springs then shopping and eating food and spending money there.
Fair enough, I wish they’d extend hours as well. People want to do stuff after 11PM or midnight. A 2AM closing would be great.

plutofan15

Fair enough, I wish they’d extend hours as well. People want to do stuff after 11PM or midnight. A 2AM closing would be great.
[/QUOTE]
Not sure there would be enough of a demand to have the stores and restaurants stay open an extra three hours. Would have to weigh the cost of doing so versus any potential increases in profit. And the additional cost of running bus and/or boat service. Maybe a few nights/week but not every night.

PREMiERdrum

Counter Point: Won’t this drive guests out of stores and restaurants to watch or find viewing for the show?
Sure, but just like when Santa is doing photos in the food court or when a circus is setup in the parking lot the uptick in foot traffic is welcome, despite the increase in competition for guest time. If it gets more people there and keeps them there later, it's a win. Disney hasn't promised DS tenants sales, they've promised them an audience. This should deliver.

I haven't been to DS in a little bit so I don't have a seat-of-the-pants read, but what has it been like there? I've been hearing light afternoons and average evenings and weekends. If that carries through the back half of spring break and into summer, alarms should be sounding.

Zooming out a bit, this also gives them a peg to market DS going into a very soft summer resort-wide. While the mouse has some very smart, talented marketing folks, they haven't had to actively market WDW with explanatory/educational messaging in a long, long time. Just opening the window to be able to say "and new at Disney Springs...." gives them a bit of a lift in the sales story.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Sure, but just like when Santa is doing photos in the food court or when a circus is setup in the parking lot the uptick in foot traffic is welcome, despite the increase in competition for guest time. If it gets more people there and keeps them there later, it's a win. Disney hasn't promised DS tenants sales, they've promised them an audience. This should deliver.

I haven't been to DS in a little bit so I don't have a seat-of-the-pants read, but what has it been like there? I've been hearing light afternoons and average evenings and weekends. If that carries through the back half of spring break and into summer, alarms should be sounding.

Zooming out a bit, this also gives them a peg to market DS going into a very soft summer resort-wide. While the mouse has some very smart, talented marketing folks, they haven't had to actively market WDW with explanatory/educational messaging in a long, long time. Just opening the window to be able to say "and new at Disney Springs...." gives them a bit of a lift in the sales story.
My observations is that (At least in the summer), during the day it’s too dang hot. Busy for dinner. Dead after 10.

Gringrinngghost

They're Testing Drones....That's how far they got.......
Their show hardware too has a wonderful knack of being taken out by weather as well.

Universal's Cinematic Spectacular: 100 Years of Movie Memories was damaged by Hurricane Irma. The show's hardware was damaged beyond repair so they decided to go forward with Universal Orlando's Cinematic Celebration which premiered 10 months after the Hurricane. Well come 2022, Hurricane Ian did a lot of damage to the Lagoon's infrastructure, so much so that Ghoulish which was for Halloween Horror Nights never returned and main version, Universal Orlando's Cinematic Celebration reopened in December of 2022 and was closed on March 9th, 2023.

Universal's now over a year without a lagoon show for nighttime entertainment and are still working on the Lagoon's hardware and outside of the drone testing, haven't done any form of show programming to my understanding nor testing in the lagoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom