Disney Dream- What do you want to know?

Phonedave

That's the V&A regular room vs the Chef's table....

I think you are missing my point here

The UPGRADE charge for Remy's is $75. That means the actual cost of your meal at that restaurant is $75 + whatever the cost of your normal rotational dining is.

When you said "the regular dining room" is $125, I thought you meant that what Disney values the dinner on it's ship as.

So if the regular dinner on the ship is "worth" $125, then Remy's is actually costing you $75+$125 = $200. I can't comment on the value of Remy's, as I have not eaten there.

My comment was on the idea that the ships "normal" dining room was worth $125 - it's not. At least the ones on the Magic and Wonder are not. They are good, but not a $125 price point. Normal dining on the Magic and Wonder does not approach V&A.

I am just trying to determine where they are pricing the dining on the Dream

Normal Dream Dining rotation = $X

Remy's = $X + $75

What is X ?

As a comparison, on the Wonder I would say X is $60 - $65, before alcohol. You have to factor in the idea that if you want you can order extra portions. But for 'normal' three course dining, the Wonder is putting up $65 meals in normal rotation.

V&A does not enter into the equation.

-dave

flavious27

Yes - it's a similar experience to Victoria and Albert's at the Grand Floridian...as some of the chefs from V&A's are involved with Remy's.

Victoria and Albert's

The fixed-price cost for the regular dining room is $125 per person. Wine pairings are $60 per person.

The fixed-price cost for Victoria & Albert's Chef's Table and its Queen Victoria's Room is $200 per person. Wine pairings are $95 per person. There are additional tax (6.5%) and gratuity (20%) also added.

On the dcl website for remy they mention that a 2 star chef helped with the breads and deserts. What is the difference between remy and palo besides the cuisine for the $55 per person difference?

Phonedave

On the dcl website for remy they mention that a 2 star chef helped with the breads and deserts. What is the difference between remy and palo besides the cuisine for the $55 per person difference?

A two star chef being involved does not mean that much at all.

A chef is given a food cost to work with. Somone wants to open a restaruant and says to the chef, I want a beef entree with a food cost of $18 a plate. A good chef will make that $18 worth of food better than a poor chef, but the food cost is still the same.

Of course thet two star chef will demand (and get) more money for his or her consultation fee, and that gets factored into the final cost as well.

Other things that get added into the cost are the price of the service and linen. Dining room decorations (fresh flowers = big bucks). The number of servers (more staff = bigger bucks). It is a restaruant on a crusie ship, so any talk of rent or lease costs is kind of strange.

I have not eaten at Palo, but I understand it to be a standard appitizer, entree, dessert typ of service. Remy is supposedly a multi-course service. Many small dishes 7, 9, 11 maybe more. Service like that is more labor insensive and takes longer. That in and of itself costs money.

-dave

DisneyJoe

I have not eaten at Palo, but I understand it to be a standard appetizer, entree, dessert type of service.

The menu from the Wonder: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/wonder/dining/palo/

You are not limited to what you can eat - just like the main rotational dining, you can eat as much or as little of everything on the menu if you wish.

My wife and I ate plenty during our dinner at Palo, we were slightly surprised that there were no limits as to how much we could order and eat - and our waiter kept suggesting other items for us to try.

flavious27

A two star chef being involved does not mean that much at all.

A chef is given a food cost to work with. Somone wants to open a restaruant and says to the chef, I want a beef entree with a food cost of $18 a plate. A good chef will make that $18 worth of food better than a poor chef, but the food cost is still the same.

Of course thet two star chef will demand (and get) more money for his or her consultation fee, and that gets factored into the final cost as well.

Other things that get added into the cost are the price of the service and linen. Dining room decorations (fresh flowers = big bucks). The number of servers (more staff = bigger bucks). It is a restaruant on a crusie ship, so any talk of rent or lease costs is kind of strange.

I have not eaten at Palo, but I understand it to be a standard appitizer, entree, dessert typ of service. Remy is supposedly a multi-course service. Many small dishes 7, 9, 11 maybe more. Service like that is more labor insensive and takes longer. That in and of itself costs money.

-dave

So the extra $55 would be more wait staff, a better setting, more courses and a highly rated chef that consulted on the menu and training of the staff?

I wonder if Disney is going to get alot of guests that will spend that extra $150 + per couple.

The menu from the Wonder: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/wonder/dining/palo/

You are not limited to what you can eat - just like the main rotational dining, you can eat as much or as little of everything on the menu if you wish.

My wife and I ate plenty during our dinner at Palo, we were slightly surprised that there were no limits as to how much we could order and eat - and our waiter kept suggesting other items for us to try.

You weren't limited? I wish we knew that when we ate at palo before.

Disneyfalcon

I wonder if Disney is going to get alot of guests that will spend that extra $150 + per couple.

Definitely.

Remy has already become next to impossible to get. Disney opens up bookings in stages with guests who have sailed more than 10 times and concierge guests getting the first shot. Next guests who have sailed more than 5 times, then more than once, and then guests who have never sailed before.

Several sailings have opened up for bookings now, and by the time it gets to the guests who have never sailed before there is nothing left.

If it gets the reviews and word of mouth that everyone thinks it will, it should stay that way.

flavious27

Our waiter kept offering to bring us different items to eat! He was awesome.

Even in the main dining room(s), my 18yo son would ask for a few items and they would bring it, no problem at all.

Is it wrong that I think I should go on an intense diet before my next dcl cruise to take advantage of this?

Definitely.

Remy has already become next to impossible to get. Disney opens up bookings in stages with guests who have sailed more than 10 times and concierge guests getting the first shot. Next guests who have sailed more than 5 times, then more than once, and then guests who have never sailed before.

Several sailings have opened up for bookings now, and by the time it gets to the guests who have never sailed before there is nothing left.

If it gets the reviews and word of mouth that everyone thinks it will, it should stay that way.

Well if that money is put back into dcl to make the brand better, who I am I to stop others from paying more than me?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is it wrong that I think I should go on an intense diet before my next dcl cruise to take advantage of this?
I would recommended it. On my first Disney cruise I worked out every day on the ship. All of the excursions I did were hiking, kayaking, swimming style excursions. When I was at Castaway Cay I spent around 7 hours snorkeling and I still managed to gain weight.

Phonedave

Right, but it is not 'designed' that way. A tasting menu of 7 or 8 dishes that are meant to flow together as a cohesive whole is not the same as having 6 disjoint entrees on the menu and letting guests try more than one if they so wish.

There is also more effort required in the kitchen when ensuring that 7 small courses, correctly plated, and all timed correctly, are going out to the dining room.

Sometimes it is about food costs, other times it is all about staffing expenses.

-dave

flavious27

I would recommended it. On my first Disney cruise I worked out every day on the ship. All of the excursions I did were hiking, kayaking, swimming style excursions. When I was at Castaway Cay I spent around 7 hours snorkeling and I still managed to gain weight.

It is amazing how much prepared food you can eat when it is "free" and available 24/7, and how much it weights you down.

The biking around CC was great, hopefully there are more trails with the expansion. Though I am wary of extra tram routes, I don't trust parents to keep their offspring away from serenity bay. It was great though to see a mother screaming at a tram driver that wouldn't allow her to take her 5 yo daughter with her.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is amazing how much prepared food you can eat when it is "free" and available 24/7, and how much it weights you down.

The biking around CC was great, hopefully there are more trails with the expansion. Though I am wary of extra tram routes, I don't trust parents to keep their offspring away from serenity bay. It was great though to see a mother screaming at a tram driver that wouldn't allow her to take her 5 yo daughter with her.
We shall see. I will be cruising on the Dream at the end of the week. I want to spend as much time snorkeling as I can but if it is too cold bike riding will be the next option.

flavious27

Right, but it is not 'designed' that way. A tasting menu of 7 or 8 dishes that are meant to flow together as a cohesive whole is not the same as having 6 disjoint entrees on the menu and letting guests try more than one if they so wish.

There is also more effort required in the kitchen when ensuring that 7 small courses, correctly plated, and all timed correctly, are going out to the dining room.

Sometimes it is about food costs, other times it is all about staffing expenses.

-dave

Well yes a properly planned and executed 7 or 8 course dinner is going to be different than getting 7 or 8 random dishes from the menu.

Pirate-Mom

I'd love to know the dining rotations for 5-night sailings of the Dream. We're going in June and can't wait!
What are the lunch options when you board (and would love the food options at each, too)!
Thanks a bunch and have fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom