Disney Dollars Discontinued?

fauna

Original Poster
I just visited my local Disney Store (Cherry Hill, NJ). I wanted to get some Disney Dollars for my kids to "earn" (by doing extra chores, learning to swim...) this summer for our trip this fall. I was told that they don't have any and that Disney Dollars will probably be discontinued. I was wondering if anybody out there can confirm this?

I guess I'll just keep a tally sheet and buy my kids the WDW gift cards before we go. The Disney Dollars were just so cute, and I think it's easier for children to budget cash in hand instead of on a card.

danpam1024

My Disney Store in Estero, FL still has them, but the one in Naples does not...so I don't know:shrug: Maybe they cost more to make than they're worth. I think they're great too, anytime I have extra cash, I buy some DD, it's an easy way to save a little extra for vacation :animwink:

:shrug:I just called my local Disney Store to see if they had any Disney Dollars yet. I was there a month or so ago (maybe even longer) and got the last of what they had. They still don't have any in and they are not sure when they are going to get them in. :(

mickeymouse090

:shrug:I just called my local Disney Store to see if they had any Disney Dollars yet. I was there a month or so ago (maybe even longer) and got the last of what they had. They still don't have any in and they are not sure when they are going to get them in. :(

I don't know that the program has been discontinued, but maybe the Disney stores that are being closed are just not having them anymore. The Disney store near me closed down & I'm sure while they were in the process of getting rid of their merchandise they didn't have anymore DD to sell. Who knows but stores that are still open right now may not sell them either because they may be closing in the near future too? A sad thought I know, I was heartbroken when mine closed down. I think it would be surprising if they stopped having them, it is such a good perk for kids. :shrug:

mcbates23

On a money stand point disney makes more money when you buy one of the gift cards. You put $50 on it and you cannot get any money back from it. You can only spend it. With a disney dollar you purchase a $7 item (I know nothing is that cheap there but this is an example) and you put down $10 worth of disney money. You get $3 back in american currency. They lost $3 of the orginal $10 you gave them.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
On a money stand point disney makes more money when you buy one of the gift cards. You put $50 on it and you cannot get any money back from it. You can only spend it. With a disney dollar you purchase a $7 item (I know nothing is that cheap there but this is an example) and you put down $10 worth of disney money. You get $3 back in american currency. They lost $3 of the orginal $10 you gave them.
Nonsense.

They actually make money hand over fist on Disney Dollars. There are enough people who collect/horde them and people who simply lose them to make up for any printing costs associated with providing them. If they sell you ten Disney Dollars for ten US dollars and subsequently you purchase something for 7, whether they give you change in Disney Dollars or US dollars costs them nothing and they still make a substantial profit from the seven dollar item that was likely made for them in China for one dollar or less.

Don't ever think Disney would have anything that was a profit-loser in their system, it'll never happen. :lol:

Disneykidder

I just bought one $10, one $5 and 5 $1 at the Disney outlet near my house. I will also give them to my son for our trip next month. Yes, they work just like cash and you can get cash back. We always go straight to City Hall in the MK when we get there and purchase a few DD for our album. So, to those of you who do not have them availabnle in your area, that is another option.:)

fauna

Original Poster
No, I would be shocked if the Disney store at Cherry Hill closed.

So, I guess some of the Stores out there have the Disney Dollars, and some don't. :confused:

WickedQueen22

Does anyone know any way other than traveling to the Disney Store that you can get Disney Dollars? My nearest is an hour away without summer traffic. Seems silly to go an hour for a $5 purchase with todays gas prices. I might have to start the gift card if not... :(

Tinkerbella16

I have been trying to get some for a couple of months now from our Disney Store (Deptford, NJ). Everytime I go in and ask they say that they don't have any and they don't know when they will have them. So I asked to get a giftcard instead and she said the same thing about those. :shrug:

This is the easiest way for me to save for spending money for my trips, bc I know I won't be able to spend them anywhere else. I know that our disney store will not be closing, i just don't get why they "dont know" when they'll be getting them in again.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
A little while ago Rob562 posted this info:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=2948457&postcount=5

"Actually, there *is* a way to order Disney Dollars through the mail (or at least I know there *was*), but not through the normal mail order line.

Let me look around a bit. It was an address at WDW that you sent a check or money order to, made out in the exact amount that you wanted. (Had to be check or money order, no credit cards)

EDIT: OK, I found it. This site lists the appropriate addresses and instructions for ordering direct from Disney.
http://www.disneydollars.net/Purchase by Mail.htm
Note that there's a $10 shipping fee for the order, so you have to decide whether it's worth it vs. making the drive to get them.

The WDW address is for the Ticketing Office (which is separate from Central Reservations). Ticketing is the office that fulfills online ticket orders and over-the-phone ticket-only orders. If you want to call and confirm the address and other info, you can reach them through the WDW Main Switchboard: 407-824-2222. Ask specifically for the "Ticketing Office". (Don't let them give you CRO as CRO will have no idea about it.)

And while I'm mentioning the Ticketing Office, it's a good time to suggest everyone file the name away for future knowledge. Ticketing can handle MANY problems you have with tickets you may have ordered, and they have a lot of leeway to resolve issues, perhaps even more-so than Guest Relations. (I exchanged MVMCP tickets through them once when the dates for our vacation changed)

-Rob"

kaylasmom

I love Disney Dollars. They are a great keepsake from the parks. I started getting them many moons ago and decided I would give them to my daughter after I found out I was pregnant. Now the dilemma is that I had another baby in February.

I suppose I'll have to get more Disney dollars the next time we go down and split them between the girls!

It was a great idea. I haven't spent one since I started purchasing them, so they have definitely made money off me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom