Disney Cruise

ask!

I am in the very early stages of planning our next trip and am considering the 7 night Land and Sea Disney Cruise..... 3 or 4 nights? Is the extra cost of the extra Cast-away day worth it? Is the cost of tix included in the price?

I have tried to find other posts about the Disney Cruise but have not had success....if anyone could be so kind to direct me, I would appreciate it.

When is the least expensive time to go?

And do you think the Disney Cruise experience is worth the extra cost compared to the other cruiselines that offers 3-4 night Bahama cruises? (We are not so interested in meeting the characters, so this would not be worth the extra expense for us)

Many, many questions...but I know you guys have many, many answers!

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

Phonedave

I am in the very early stages of planning our next trip and am considering the 7 night Land and Sea Disney Cruise..... 3 or 4 nights? Is the extra cost of the extra Cast-away day worth it? Is the cost of tix included in the price?

I have tried to find other posts about the Disney Cruise but have not had success....if anyone could be so kind to direct me, I would appreciate it.

And do you think the Disney Cruise experience is worth the extra cost compared to the other cruiselines that offers 3-4 night Bahama cruises? (We are not so interested in meeting the characters, so this would not be worth the extra expense for us)

Many, many questions...but I know you guys have many, many answers!

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

I have been on one Disney Cruise and am totaly spoiled. My kids wanted to know when we could book the next one - before we even got off the ship.

Characters are very unobstrusive on the cruise. in fact Disney goes a long way to "un-Disney" the cruise. The level of service is there, the entertainment value is there, but it is not a "kidde princess-fest"

The three day cruise has ports of call at Nassau and Castaway Cay

A "normal" 4 day has ports of call at Nassau, Castaway Cay, and a day at sea

They have a special 4 day (I forget what they call it) where you are at Castaway Cay twice. Maybe that is what you are looking at.

Castaway Cay is free as far as beaches, swimming, walking around, food, sodas, EXCELLENT AMAZING fresh fruit stand, and just relaxing is concerned.

Other things cost extra - alcohol, snorkling equipment rental, float rental, jet ski rental, open air massages in the cabanas, water bike rentals, parasailing, banana boat rides, glass bottom boat rides, fishing excursions, sting ray adventures, etc etc etc :)

Some things cost more than other. I think a float rental was $6 for the day. Snorkling equipemnt is like $12 a day. Other things cost more.

Of course there is still plenty to do ON the ship while it is at a port of call. Free movies, swimming, food food and more food, shows, "things" like bingo, karaoke, things like that - all free, for the most part (bingo is like $5 because you can win cash)

I wish we could have done a 4 day, and next time we will, but this time my schedule would not permit it.

You do not mention kids, but if you have them there is an EXCELLENT on board program for them. The CM's take your kids (of all ages) and give you a pager - seems like a fair trade to me :) Seriously though, the kids program is wonderful. They watch movies, do crafts, pilot the ship in a simulator, do lab experiments, play games, etc

-dave

Upvote 0

westie

We did the 4 day and wished we had done a week. We went back and did a weeks cruise and wished it were a month long. Very relaxing and enjoyable but, it is expensive so amke sure you use the amenities a lot.

Upvote 0

robhedin

Hi! I'll give you my opinion, but bear in mind I've not done the 3/4 night cruise, only the 7 night western Caribbean.

No idea whether or not tickets are included... I'd be a bit surprised if they weren't, but I'd expect it to be listed if you just run through a quote.
As far as the extra Castaway Cay day-- the wife and I found our one day there to be the highlight of our cruise. We're planning another trip and are specifically trying to go when we can get in two days there. Laid back and lots of fun.

I'm not sure I've found much info here unfortunately, PM me if you like and I'll gladly give you a pointer to more information.

I'd expect that hurricane season would be the least expensive time-- September/October -- I know that's when we have historically cruised (not just with Disney) when we were looking for a deal. We did cruise Disney at the end of September last year and got what we felt was a deal (category 6 balcony for the price of a category 11 inside).

We've cruised Disney, RCI, Princess, and Carnival and found Disney to be the "best" overall. The wife and I have no children and and had no interest in the characters either. We found the overall "elegance" of the ship, Castaway Cay, and the "Disney" touch to be well worth the price. That said, you can get a much less expensive cruise with say Carnival or RCI that will also be very much enjoyable. I've found a cruise is very much what you make of it. We're currently scheduling a cruise next year on RCI that will end up being about 1/2 the price of the Disney cruise(mini-suite vs balcony), just because we can't justify the price; that said, we're also contemplating an other cruise next year in September on Disney (when prices are lower) just because we really enjoyed DCL and want to go back to Castaway Cay.

Hope this helps somewhat...

rob.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I would skip the 7 day land and sea package and just book the cruise and your stay separately. You'll save money that way and have more control over the length of your stay at Disney and your resort and be able to use the dining plan and such. It's a lot more expensive doing it all together as one package.

We did the land and sea for our honeymoon 8 years ago, but this year we've booked the 3 night cruise separately and are spending a full week in Disney after the cruise.

Upvote 0

ask!

Original Poster

I am not sure what this means....the heading for this category is labeled Cruise Line.

Thanks everyone for the info, especailly the links Rob.
And Dave, your description makes me more than excited!

The Year of a Milion Dreams and I'm dreaming!
Andrea

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I am not sure what this means....the heading for this category is labeled Cruise Line.

Thanks everyone for the info, especailly the links Rob.
And Dave, your description makes me more than excited!

The Year of a Milion Dreams and I'm dreaming!
Andrea

"Bump" just means your thread got bumped back to the top of the forums so that you could get more feedback.

Upvote 0
My family went on the Disney Cruise November 2006 on the 3-night. We also booked our room separately at the Resort. It is much cheaper as everyone mentioned. Unfortunately, the Nora (sp?) virus (stomach bug) was rampant on our ship and I had it for two days. The weather was so terrible that the captain couldn't even dock us at Castaway Cay. The wind and waves were so strong that the ship rocked all night the last night at sea all the exterior deck doors were locked and no one was allowed on the decks. The food was also not up to the Disney standards I had hoped. This was our first Disney cruise and maybe our expectations were simply too high. We arrived at the Poly around 10:00 a.m. the morning our resort stay began and they quickly put us in an upgraded room next to the Great Ceremonial Hall. My basis for commenting is to caution you to avoid Nov. because of the weather. We did get a great deal but I think I would have rather paid more to see Castaway Cay. Best of luck on your cruise.

Upvote 0

philipneil

I'm also in the middle of planning my first Disney cruise and everything I have read so far suggests booking land and sea separately. It's cheaper and more flexible. The only drawbacks are finding your own way from the terminal to the resort (although not difficult) and not having your resort key and your cruise stateroom key all in one.

I found Jennifer and Dave Marx's PassPorter’s Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line very helpful. I borrowed from my local library but plan on buying an updated one when I cruise in December 2008.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

I'm also in the middle of planning my first Disney cruise and everything I have read so far suggests booking land and sea separately. It's cheaper and more flexible. The only drawbacks are finding your own way from the terminal to the resort (although not difficult) and not having your resort key and your cruise stateroom key all in one.

You can have ground transfers added to your DCL reservation. They'll go to/from any resort or the airport (we went POR-> Port, and Port->AKL). It's just an extra dollar per person, per leg over the cost of transfers for a Land and Sea package. Just call DCL and have them added once you book, and then stop by the DCL desk at your resort to have them give you a sticker that goes on your room key signifying that you paid for Resort to Port transportation.

As far as having separate room keys, it just means that you have to check in at the Port Terminal when you arrive. They give you new, DCL-branded cards that you use on board. The design is different than those at the resorts, so it's a bonus if you're a collector or a scrapbooker! :lol:

We did our first cruise last January for our honeymoon, and it was definitely the hightlight of our whole trip. The service it remarkable and the whole experience was very awesome.

Upvote 0

tammycooley

We are getting ready to go on our 3rd cruise that goes to Castaway Cay twice in June 2008 and hopefully booking our 4th while on board!! We are hopelessly hooked--line and sinker!!! We are so spoiled by Disney I dont dare move to another cruise line :sohappy:

Upvote 0
I am also working on plans for a DC. I bought Birnbaum's 2007 Disney Cruise Line Guide, and have found it most helpful. It tells you everything that is included, as well as what it not. It has a chapter on Ports of Call, and the excursions~ along with the prices for the excursions (tours). Good luck with your planning!

Upvote 0

MrBug

I would skip the 7 day land and sea package and just book the cruise and your stay separately. You'll save money that way and have more control over the length of your stay at Disney and your resort and be able to use the dining plan and such. It's a lot more expensive doing it all together as one package.

I think it must vary based on your selection of time of year & cabin category & resort? We're easily saving several hundred $ with the Land/Sea package vs. separately booking 3 day cruise, 4 day resort stay, and park tickets....

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

My wife and I are planning a trip with our sons for our 20th ann., the reason is we have some friends who have the DC a number of times, but now that I have read that it's much cheaper to arrange them seperatly I will start looking that way instead of the package. Thanks.

Upvote 0

lscott933

yes i have to agree with you about booking them separate. i have done it twice. the best way is to plan at staying at one of the hotel that disney cruise left from at disney if your going to go to disney first. they will pick your luggage up in the morning and you have it at your stateroom when you get there. if you don't stay at resort that disney cruise stay at you have to take your luggage to the hotel yourself. the other place they left from is the animal kingdom. you have to take your luggage to the park and then they take it the ship for you. if you go on the ship first then you don't have to worry about the luggage at all. all you have to do is go thru customs and take your luggage to the bus. i like getting all my meal include in my stay at disney. if you go with the 4/3 or 3/4 night thru disney then you can include that in your disney cruise stuff. if you do all you have to pay for is your transfer from either the airport or hotel to the ship then to the airport back after the ship. the cruise ship is really nice and you don't see the chacater if you don't want too.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

I think it must vary based on your selection of time of year & cabin category & resort? We're easily saving several hundred $ with the Land/Sea package vs. separately booking 3 day cruise, 4 day resort stay, and park tickets....

Yes, the prices do vary throughout the year, but there are other benefits of booking separately as well. For us, we wanted a stateroom with a veranda on the ship, but booking a land/sea package would have put us in a Deluxe resort for our WDW portion. We really wanted to stay at POR and also get the AAA room-only discount. Booking separately saved us a TON of money and the only difference was $4 more for the transfers and we had to check in at the terminal when we got to Port Canaveral.

Point being... people need to research what will afford them what they want and at the best price.

Upvote 0

MrBug

but booking a land/sea package would have put us in a Deluxe resort for our WDW portion.
Oh man, I HATE it when that happens! :lol: ;)
j/k, well said that everyone needs to research what fits them best. The Land/Sea just worked out very well for us; I wouldn't make a blanket statement that it's right for everyone but also wouldn't say that in every situation booking separately was best, either....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom