Disney Cruise FAQ's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar R M

Tammy, last urgent question! ( I swear its gonna be the last one! lol)

When they do the safety drill.. any tips to get back to the top decks pronto (for the sailing party show) ?

I read some blogs and they said the Wonder becomes a nightmare during the after-drill moments. Elevators getting severely swamped..etc..

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Tammy, last urgent question! ( I swear its gonna be the last one! lol)

When they do the safety drill.. any tips to get back to the top decks pronto (for the sailing party show) ?

I read some blogs and they said the Wonder becomes a nightmare during the after-drill moments. Elevators getting severely swamped..etc..

Lol! Yes! Have your
Camera and everything you need with you! Then the second they dismiss your group, take off. The stairs work best if you can! Elevators are going to slow you down!

ChuckElias

Stairs are the quicker option anytime there's an "event" going on. The deck parties, the muster drill, shows in the theater, disembarkation, etc.

Cesar R M

Stairs are the quicker option anytime there's an "event" going on. The deck parties, the muster drill, shows in the theater, disembarkation, etc.
I have no trouble with stairs.. my mother in the other hand.....
Also, I dont think she would like to go alone.. she doesn't speak english.

hence my preparations for the adventure in advance ;)

Last edited:

SarahRae

What do you usually bring with you to Castaway Cay? Do we take towels from our room? Should we bring water bottles, or are there drinks (easily) available off the ship?

Also how does the snorkeling work? I read that there are buoys or something to mark cool things underwater, are these off the main beach, or the adult beach too?

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
What do you usually bring with you to Castaway Cay? Do we take towels from our room? Should we bring water bottles, or are there drinks (easily) available off the ship?

Also how does the snorkeling work? I read that there are buoys or something to mark cool things underwater, are these off the main beach, or the adult beach too?

They have towels waiting for you when you get off the ship! You can bring water bottles if you want something with you, there are a few drink stations on the island though.

That's correct! There are floating red and white buoys that mark the things you'll really want to see like Mickey and Minnie. They're all in the snorkeling lagoon which is on the main beach.

fltink

There's technically no snorkeling area at Serenity Bay, the adult beach, but if you can bring some gear with you over there, DO IT! The water is so much clearer and tends to get some cool aquatic visitors. One time, just sittin in a lounge chair in the water, a small ray swam over my foot!

SarahRae

You guys are seriously the best for answering all my silly questions. I just like to be prepared. More questions!

If our stateroom host brings us a bucket of ice or whatever, are we expected to tip at that point? Or is that all covered by the tips we pay at the end?

I guess this is personal preference, but do you wear a different outfit to dinner every night? I'm trying to decide how many dresses to bring for my 4 night cruise.

Is there any dress code at breakfast/lunch? Like can I go to breakfast in a swimsuit/sheer-ish coverup and then head straight to the pool?

fltink

No, tipping at the end is sufficient, as long as you keep in mind any "above and beyond" service that you received and tip accordingly.

I LOVE to dress up so I do bring a different outfit for each night, but you by no means have to.

If you're eating breakfast or lunch at the buffet, a swimsuit and cover up are just fine. In fact, pretty much everyone is in a swimsuit! If you want to eat in the dining room, I would throw on a sundress over a bathing suit, or men could do a t-shirt with their swim trunks.

rick3236

You guys are seriously the best for answering all my silly questions. I just like to be prepared. More questions!

If our stateroom host brings us a bucket of ice or whatever, are we expected to tip at that point? Or is that all covered by the tips we pay at the end?

I guess this is personal preference, but do you wear a different outfit to dinner every night? I'm trying to decide how many dresses to bring for my 4 night cruise.

Is there any dress code at breakfast/lunch? Like can I go to breakfast in a swimsuit/sheer-ish coverup and then head straight to the pool?

Hi Sarahrae!
You do not need to tip your stateroom host daily it is covered in the tips you pay at the end. If you receive exceptional service you can definitely add to your tip.

On a four night cruise you will have 2 cruise casual nights, one semi-formal night, and a pirate night. So you can plan accordingly. We like to dress for dinner, but that is our preference. Cruise casual tends to be very casual.

Usually there is no dress code if you have breakfast/lunch at the buffet or at one of the fast food locations by the pool deck. If you eat at the sit down restaurants for breakfast or lunch you will probably not want to be in a bathing suit and cover up, but you don't have to be dressed up either.

PixieMichele

In regard to the elevator situation...you'll quickly learn how slow the elevators are on the Wonder and Magic (they are smaller). The mid-ship elevators are almost ALWAYS busy, overpacked actually so you're better off taking the few extra steps to either the forward or the aft to catch an elevator ride, especially during the busy times like dinner/show time, etc.

The BEST Konk Coolers are at Conched Out bar on Castaway Cay, it comes right from the machine frozen soft serve, get them to float the sucker with the Meyers Dark rum (if you drink alcohol) and you'll be a happy Camper! They will be serving/delivering drinks at Serenity Bay as well, it just takes a little while for them to get down the stretch of the beach.

If you rent snorkel gear, or bring your own, you'll still be required to wear a neon life vest (those are provided at no cost) but you don't have to inflate it. The snorkeling lagoon on the family beach is where the trails of "Exciting" things are. Serenity Bay has no official trail but there is a "shipwreck" out there and there's usually some small to mid-sized fish and gorgeous starfish. I've heard reports of a baby octopus as well but I haven't seen it. The water is VERY clear and bright on Serenity Bay, but there's not always something to see.

There's a few water stations along the paths because of the 5K they do in the mornings, and they sell packs of bottled water you can take off the ship, etc. We've always found it more of a nuisance to carry bottled water with us than to just grab a cup and fill up when we were thirsty. You can also get beverages when the Cookies and Cookies 2 open for lunch (12 to 2).

If you are sensitive to the sun grab a spot with an umbrella b/c the sun can get brutal and you'll want a spot to retreat. A straw hat and cover up are always good and don't forget the sunscreen and to RE APPLY the sunscreen...or by the time you get back to the ship you'll be looking like Sebastian!

PixieMichele

They will charge you for any damage that the adhesives leave and your stateroom attendant will NOT be happy with you. Go with magnets so your stuff doesn't get confiscated!

Regarding the hairdryer question, you can bring your own if you want but you can't plug it in, in the bathroom :( There is only a tiny outlet for electric shavers. The only spot you can use a blowdryer is at the desk area, which i turn into a vanity to get ready. The Dream and Fantasy provide a pretty decent hair dryer that's 3 prong and plugs in at the desk and there are a few 2 prong outlets but they're always worried about people overloading those circuits.

Don't forget you can also get ready in the Spa area, the showers in there are FANTASTIC and on the Dream and Fantasy they're really big, I almost always shower at the spa...it's like a vacation in itself! Plus they put all their good products in there...woot woot! It's also bigger in the spa area so if you're blowdrying your hair you're less likely to die of heat exhaustion, or need another shower by the time you finish. The staterooms heat up really fast when you get that blowdryer going!

SarahRae

One more! To sign up for Mixology, we have to go to Guest Services, right? Should we do that as soon as we board, and should we expect huge lineups?

fltink

The sooner you sign up, the more likely you are to get the one you want. I don't typically find huge lines at Guest Service upon check in, but it just depends on whether or not you board in the thick of the crowd. If you board early or late, there's usually little to no wait.

I do recommend that if there are multiple offerings of the class you want, (like Tequila Tasting offered on two different days), try for the second date. Usually less people go for that one.

EOD K9

More Palo questions. Can I book for my in laws as well as us? In other words, can I book four people even though there are only two of us in the room? Additionally, last time there, I wore a full on suit. With our next trip taking the twins I am trying to pack lighter. Are dress pants and a polo short covered by a suit/sports coat acceptable? Thanks in advance.

fltink

More Palo questions. Can I book for my in laws as well as us? In other words, can I book four people even though there are only two of us in the room? Additionally, last time there, I wore a full on suit. With our next trip taking the twins I am trying to pack lighter. Are dress pants and a polo short covered by a suit/sports coat acceptable? Thanks in advance.
You can book for any staterooms that are linked to yours. If you aren't linked, just all DCL and they can link you, or I believe you can link through the website as well.

The outfit you described would be perfect for Palo. No full suits required. No sports coats even. My husband wears dress pants and a collared shirt.

EOD K9

You can book for any staterooms that are linked to yours. If you aren't linked, just all DCL and they can link you, or I believe you can link through the website as well.

The outfit you described would be perfect for Palo. No full suits required. No sports coats even. My husband wears dress pants and a collared shirt.
Thanks, last time my wife and I went it was just us and we went all out. This time, as I said, we are trying to pack lighter. Thanks for your reply.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster

To be a little more clear since your in-laws are not Castaway Club members. When your early booking window opens, IF both staterooms are paid in full you can book for them as well. They have to be paid in full and it is probably not going to let you do it online. You'll have to call tech support the next morning and add them since they are not in their booking window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom