News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

Captain Neo

So is this the self driving car thing or is that separate? If it isn't I'm confused who this is targeting as most people are used to just calling an Uber or Lyft now

Wsny11

I'll add this here for discussion from the Gondola thread. I'm a bit concerned as someone who thinks Uber is the best way to get around property.

I hope they don't try to ban Uber from the resort once their "Minnie Vans" are live.

They won't. Turn away a family because they're in an Uber? PR Nightmare. This would lead people to lying about the driver being an Uber driver "He's our... uncle, yeah, that's the ticket!" And then the first time they turn away a family because the suspect it's an Uber driver, but it really is an uncle dropping them off? Another PR nightmare.

Disney just wants a taste of the Uber market. Uber drivers are obviously providing a service that Disney isn't.

We just kept calling the DVC CBR Tower.

Well I'm not saying it would impact Uber customers like that. Many cities have and are putting all sorts of hurdles in place to keep out Uber and Lyft, sometimes making it straight up illegal to operate, either because of the clout the taxi industry has or because they perceive it as a pubIic safety issue. These cities never punish the passengers (customers). Disney could do the same. They aren't going to turn customers away who are arriving in an Uber but they could make it very difficult for the DRIVERS to operate, especially regarding trips both originating and ending on Disney property. And this sort of response would force people to use the "Minnie Vans" which will likely be an inferior service compared to Uber's constant and very fast availability.

Edit: and I'm sure the Minnie vans will be much more expensive. If you could travel from the Animal Kingdom to the Poly at park close for $5-10 on a Minnie Van reserved via MDE instead of dealing with the crowds and wait times for a bus, they would need 1000 of them, which obviously isn't feasible. They will need to price it at a level that keeps demand low enough for their capabilities.

brb1006

I do wish the Uber Vans had better theming. Like imagine a Haunted Mansion Uber car based on the Doom Buggie with the Ghost Host narrating where you will be heading to. It would work during the Halloween and Fall seasons.

Karakasa

Maybe I'm missing something but unless it can go off property (not counting the airport which they apparently will also do?) I still don't really see the point of this service between all the other transportation options. I guess maybe during particularly crowded times of year it'll be useful but for the most part seems unnecessary.

bhg469

Maybe I'm missing something but unless it can go off property (not counting the airport which they apparently will also do?) I still don't really see the point of this service between all the other transportation options. I guess maybe during particularly crowded times of year it'll be useful but for the most part seems unnecessary.
Well this is just a way to profit on the poor attention they have given the resort transportation.

FigmentForver96

The name has me literally chucking every time. As someone who loves the "99" jokes the Citizens of Hollywood tell, I can appreciate the name.

I also like the idea

mm121

its disney's way of getting money from something they currently arent profiting from

any word on how someone schedules these? or will they have like stops for them or something eventually

could they eventually "restrict" uber drop off locations to just a few central points around wdw to "force"/"highly encourage" people to use this new service that they get the profit from.

mm121

its also a good way to "cover up" the problem of the seriously lacking bus system

as now if someone complains they can offer the 'minnie van" as an alternative with a laugh

monorail expansion, NOPE

we dont need it, we've got MINNIE VANS

mm121

Could this service also be in response to some of the negative press that Uber suffers from, such as drivers not speaking english, and several incidents of violence.

as some people would much rather be driven around by a disney employee than a random uber driver that the people of uber have never actually meet in person for any sort of training or quality control

Madame Medusa

its also a good way to "cover up" the problem of the seriously lacking bus system

as now if someone complains they can offer the 'minnie van" as an alternative with a laugh

monorail expansion, NOPE

we dont need it, we've got MINNIE VANS
Don't be so negative. This is a very fun convenience added to the parks, and I've personally never had any problems with the bus system. It's one of the things I LOVE about Disney World.

mm121

Don't be so negative. This is a very fun convenience added to the parks, and I've personally never had any problems with the bus system. It's one of the things I LOVE about Disney World.
was being more sarcastic than anything

the bus system works for what its intended for, but not easy for resort to resort connections

and at times gets overwhelmed, though i'm sure the minnie vans will get overwhelmed too

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom