News Disney confirms multiple EPCOT projects are paused

UNCgolf

EU being packed is so strange to me especially with all the better food options available.

I always tried to eat at EU once for nostalgia purposes, because it felt like a remaining piece of EPCOT when it was the best park in the world. I don't think the interior has changed even a little from when it originally opened in the early 90s (I think).

But I think the two main reasons are that it was the only place to eat (quick service with seating) in Future World other than the Land pavilion, which is on the opposite side, and that the menu is perfect for little kids. I think a lot of people just don't feel like walking over to the World Showcase to eat lunch if they're doing Future World in the morning.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I always tried to eat at EU once for nostalgia purposes, because it felt like a remaining piece of EPCOT when it was the best park in the world. I don't think the interior has changed even a little from when it originally opened in the early 90s (I think).

But I think the two main reasons are that it was the only place to eat in Future World other than the Land pavilion, which is on the opposite side, and that the menu is perfect for little kids. I think a lot of people just don't feel like walking over to the World Showcase to eat lunch if they're doing Future World in the morning.

It is/was a good central location to take a break. And it was also the best place to fill water bottles with ice and/or ice cold water.

The menu was “better” before they fancied it up, but that’s the “sometimes I just want a burger and fries” in me.

Haymarket2008

So is common consensus around here that construction for things will start in earnest once the new 2021 Fiscal Year begins in end of Sept/October?
I know they are saving significant amounts of money by pausing construction until then, but does that mean they will pick up again?

lazyboy97o

So is common consensus around here that construction for things will start in earnest once the new 2021 Fiscal Year begins in end of Sept/October?
I know they are saving significant amounts of money by pausing construction until then, but does that mean they will pick up again?
If things are being redesigned they will need more than a few months to get develop those new designs.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nope. A lot of timetables are being rewritten, budgets reappraised, and then the redesigns begin.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Recent photo from Bioreconstruct's Twitter shows the upstairs area of Electric Umbrella still has the chairs on the 2nd floor..
Ed0DnsFXkAE-TLx
It closed right before the shutdown. I believe people have stated nearly nothing has been done there.

KikoKea

But I think the two main reasons are that it was the only place to eat (quick service with seating) in Future World other than the Land pavilion, which is on the opposite side, and that the menu is perfect for little kids. I think a lot of people just don't feel like walking over to the World Showcase to eat lunch if they're doing Future World in the morning.
We loved getting a (refillable) Coke and sitting on the outside patio in the shade while people-watching and enjoying the FoN. A relaxing break doesn't get much better than that.

Beacon Joe

While I'm one who was applauding the news that SSE's refurb was being paused indefinitely, after riding it one last time, wow, it really needs some TLC if they keep it up and running in its current form. Since it's eventually slated for a redo, I assume they won't sink a penny into anything currently in place, and I now begrudgingly think it should be shuttered if they're not going to fix/maintain show elements. Forget the burned kid, there are now multiple AAs not working, the omni-movers all seemed really clanky, the lighting seemed super low probably to hide broken elements, and the audio was faint and nearly inaudible. Kind of left me bummed out.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Another photo from Biorecontruct showing Innoventions plaza looking like they are eventually going to reopen the plaza..Also showing that the tables and chairs are removed in Electric Umbrella..
EeYbvCIX0AEAsfu

I'm presuming the barriers are mean as safety passages for workers. It denotes where pedestrians and vehicles can go and not go. You wouldn't want a back hoe to drive into the opening to the basement.

What makes me think that this isn't for guests is that there's nothing there for guest. EU's outdoor tables are gone. MouseGears is still gutted. There's nothing in Innoventions NW.

If the old plans were still going to happen, the hub would have been closed off for years, anyway. That's why they expanded the walkways on the East and West sides to get around the hub.

Magic Feather

I'm presuming the barriers are mean as safety passages for workers. It denotes where pedestrians and vehicles can go and not go. You wouldn't want a back hoe to drive into the opening to the basement.

What makes me think that this isn't for guests is that there's nothing there for guest. EU's outdoor tables are gone. MouseGears is still gutted. There's nothing in Innoventions NW.

If the old plans were still going to happen, the hub would have been closed off for years, anyway. That's why they expanded the walkways on the East and West sides to get around the hub.
I’m under the impression that, under the original plan, some type of center pass would have been opened around the same time MouseGear came back into its original location. Now? No clue.

P_Radden

Another photo from Biorecontruct showing Innoventions plaza looking like they are eventually going to reopen the plaza..Also showing that the tables and chairs are removed in Electric Umbrella..
EeYbvCIX0AEAsfu
Any ideas on the cost to rebuild the Innoventions SW shell structure back? Not saying I could afford it, but I can at least sell some stuff, and get a gofundme page started so TDO doesn't have to about spending their own money correcting their mistake.

KikoKea

EeYbvCIX0AEAsfu
They could have done so many upgrades and refurbishments with the Plaza as it was, and turned it into a real showcase.

Any reason they couldn't have put that celebration/beer joint somewhere around the World Showcase? Isn't there an inflatable building they use for special events where a permanent structure could go?

trainplane3

They could have done so many upgrades and refurbishments with the Plaza as it was, and turned it into a real showcase.

Any reason they couldn't have put that celebration/beer joint somewhere around the World Showcase? Isn't there an inflatable building they use for special events where a permanent structure could go?
It's basically permanent at this point. It's actually in use for whatever the current "festival" they have going on right now.

KikoKea

It's basically permanent at this point. It's actually in use for whatever the current "festival" they have going on right now.
I see. I was thinking that festival tent could have been deflated instead of 1/4th of Innoventions. Oh well...damage is done and asymmetry is driving the quilter in me crazy!

HoraceHorizons

Significantly scaling back the new Festival Pavillion is a big mistake. Poppins isn't a huge loss, but this is just going to continue the decades-long game of catch up and Epcot was already a decade behind. I can see how they might try to scale back now while generating enough "new" to up the ante later but, it seems foreseeable that Epcot's legacy is becoming a decade's long log jam. I'm not trying to be negative. I still love the place and I get that they are losing money, it just seems like they need to tear off the bandaid, and they are just applying another over an even larger wound.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom