Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

danlb_2000

Premium Member
All I know is that when I ride it, I'm going to chant "Uh Oa, Uh Oa, Uh Oa, Oa, Oa" during the entire thing.
undernewmanagement_zpsredfmhqn.jpg

That picture is absolutely absurd!.......

Stand-by wait will never be that low. ;)

Rescue Ranger

I actually really hope that they now remove "Norway" from this entire area completely. It would make more sense and overall I think just be better if they renamed the entire area Arendelle.

Sage of Time

I actually really hope that they now remove "Norway" from this entire area completely. It would make more sense and overall I think just be better if they renamed the entire area Arendelle.
It makes more sense to take a real country out of World Showcase and put in something fake and meant for Fantasyland?

Man, the bean counters at TDO must just loooove posts like these.

Skippy

It makes more sense to take a real country out of World Showcase and put in something fake and meant for Fantasyland?
I believe the thought is that they're pretty much doing it already in all but name.
What's in a name? Norway by any other name would stink the same.

Jeff456

I feel there is a danger that would just set a precedent to start changing other countries in world showcase. As much as I don't want frozen I'd rather it was still in Norway even if it struggles to resemble it anymore.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I feel there is a danger that would just set a precedent to start changing other countries in world showcase. As much as I don't want frozen I'd rather it was still in Norway even if it struggles to resemble it anymore.
Plus, putting dollar signs above the area on the EP maps would be a little too obvious. Best to maintain the facade....

Disneyhead'71

So I talked to an Imagineer yesterday about this topic, and he explained the logic of Arendelle in Norway.

He said that they know that it is a new concept for WS. Traditionally, the WS pavilions focus on the history and culture of the respective countries, but that doesn't mean that they can't show how the history and cultures of these countries influence pop culture.

aladdin2007

So I talked to an Imagineer yesterday about this topic, and he explained the logic of Arendelle in Norway.

He said that they know that it is a new concept for WS. Traditionally, the WS pavilions focus on the history and culture of the respective countries, but that doesn't mean that they can't show how the history and cultures of these countries influence pop culture.

Did he say if anything Norwegian would still be included, or left might be the better phrase?

FerretAfros

If they wanted to take some Norwegian traditional culture that influenced American pop culture, then why didn't they do anything with these guys?
2392237019_01cecd96f8.jpg

And what about the various manga exhibits they've had in the back of the Japan pavilion for years? Or the new Harajuku girls they're getting? Or the various cover bands that have played at the UK pavilion through the years? Do those not count as pop culture?

That justification is BS, plain and simple. I'm sure you were not the first to ask him that question (nor shall you be the last), and he's just giving the official answer because he likes his job. If he actually believes that this is staying true to the spirit of World Showcase, then I have even less faith in this project than I did before, which wasn't much to start with

aladdin2007

If they wanted to take some Norwegian traditional culture that influenced American pop culture, then why didn't they do anything with these guys?
2392237019_01cecd96f8.jpg

And what about the various manga exhibits they've had in the back of the Japan pavilion for years? Or the new Harajuku girls they're getting? Or the various cover bands that have played at the UK pavilion through the years? Do those not count as pop culture?

That justification is BS, plain and simple. I'm sure you were not the first to ask him that question (nor shall you be the last), and he's just giving the official answer because he likes his job. If he actually believes that this is staying true to the spirit of World Showcase, then I have e
ven less faith in this project than I did before, which wasn't much to start with

They did they sold those trolls there back in the early 90s, or at least the large nyform trolls, actually made in Denmark. It was my first purchase ever there and I still have it. :)

Rescue Ranger

Man, the bean counters at TDO must just loooove posts like these.

Yes it does make more sense in many ways if Frozen is going to take over Norway. You think think it makes sense what they are doing currently by changing half the pavilion?

However, hopefully in the spirit of World Showcase, Norway will be heavily portrayed when this opens. Have "Inspired by Norway" in the signage. Have a pre/post video all about how Disney's Norwegian travels brought Frozen to life. Unless this is what the entire attraction is about?

I am not happy about what they did to Maelstrom. It NEVER should have happened. However, this is what is happening. Whether we like it or not, it's gone because of Frozen's popularity. Instead of building something new they took something away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom