Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Mike S

This is exactly what I am talking about. The first nail has yet to be driven and you are already assuming that Frozen will be of lesser quality than Maelstrom.
The fact a cartoon will be used to represent Norway is already of lesser quality, regardless how the ride turns out.
Are the Norwegian tourism boards being ignorant and culturally insensitive too? They seem to be happy with using Frozen as a hook to drum up tourism to their country:

http://en.trondelag.com/disneys-frozen-inspired-by-trondelag-central-norway/

http://campaign.visitnorway.com/us/Disney-Frozen/Disneys-Frozen--inspired-by-Norway/

http://www.nordnorge.com/en/frozen/?News=405
OH, MY, GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Will people please stop using this terrible argument?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Using a movie to try and attract tourists is NO WHERE NEAR the same thing as being okay with it as the central attraction in a pavilion dedicated to your country!!!!!!!! But anything to defend your beloved Disney, right? :banghead:

Also, can we please slow this thread down?

mmkr03

The Maelstrom redo into Frozen could be the greatest attraction Disney has ever created - but it still wouldn't fit thematically in World Showcase. Of course, it isn't even likely to be a 'good refresh'; More likely, a quick and cheap overlay.

I agree and personally wish Disney would stick to the original theme when it comes to World Showcase but it seems they have decided otherwise. EPCOT desperately needs some love at this point. As much as I would love to see a new stand alone attraction the bean counters want to cash in on Frozen as much as possible. A new attraction would take to long (especially with as long as they take to build anything :banghead:) so I'm happy to see something happening. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best

comics101

Reading unofficial comments on social media reports is quite the opposite of the everything is happy la de da moderated official site posts.

Yep. If you want to see what folks really think of the overlay, check out the Maelstrom/Frozen Disney Parks Blog Facebook post. For every 1 positive comment there are probably close to 10 negative comments. Granted, I would assume most of the negative comments are coming from diehard fans who probably subscribe to this forum, but regardless...it would seem most are not looking forward to the changes.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Does anyone realize Maelstrom is one of the worst rated attractions at "WDW"? It also has some the least requests for FP+. This one change will drive attendance to Epcot like never before, and update attraction which is quite frankly horrible. Not sure what a very minimal group is holding onto?
Based on what? And just how do you know what the wiz of the group "holding onto" is?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What could have been with half an ounce of sense...

image.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You know, it's very possible that Frozen could be a great ride. But nostalgia holds a lot of value (admittedly, not with the younger ones) and it's hard to get past that.

Looking at Disney's recent efforts, there's about a 50% chance that this ride could be done well. That doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence. If what we've been hearing (about the redo being a cheap one) is true, than that just diminishes confidence further.
I generally agree with the skepticism on how good this attraction will be. My biggest concern is that it is incredibly short and I just don't see Disney doing what would be needed to make the ride length similar to something like POTC or HM.

That being said, Maelstrom by comparison to other Disney dark rides is really kind of crappy. It is 4-5 show scenes consisting of a couple of Rainforest Cafe quality AAs and an oil rig. That will not be hard to out do.

If you want to get brutally honest, Maelstrom's popularity is largely based on its lack of competition. If every country in Epcot had a similar length and quality dark ride I doubt nearly as many people would be broken up about the switch.

lazyboy97o

True and it should have been implemented in the same form at the pavilion, not a ride to arendelle but a ride through norway with the characters giving a tour of it, something like that.
That is just as lousy of an idea. Are we to believe that Anna and Elsa spent those years locked up in the castle studying Norway? They've decided to go on holiday after what Elsa caused?

samosaurus

This is how I feel about all of this Frozen being shoved down our throats:
anigif_enhanced-buzz-15958-1381329967-14.gif

Let's face it, we all knew it was coming. I can't stand that they are going to turn a World Showcase pavilion into a pavilion for a fictional kingdom. Also, I've no idea where they are going to put the lines this will generate. We all saw how crowded it was when the Anna & Elsa meet and greet was in Norway.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm sure @WDW1974 will make a point of this, but it is very telling that they are releasing this on a Friday aka bury it in the news cycle. You would think that they would put this out earlier in the week to bolster excitement. They must know that this will not be a universally popular decision, upsetting the diehard WDW fans.
Not to mention on the heels of the Entertainment cuts announced a couple of weeks ago. And I'm curious, which act will the Anna and Elsa M&G be replacing, the WS players, or the fife and drums corps?

aladdin2007

That is just as lousy of an idea. Are we to believe that Anna and Else spent those years locked up in the castle studying Norway?

I think you misunderstood or something, so you would rather have arendelle than Norway? Whats wrong with the characters showcasing Norway in the way the tourism board is using them? who said anything about anna and elsa locked in a castle?

Phineas

Honestly, it's one of the experiences that still feels like classic Epcot to me, featuring original characters not tied to any Disney Film. The trolls cursing your boat, leading to the end with the oil rig after the drop and exit into the "real world" is just really unique and unlike anything else on property. My only complaint about the ride as-is would be its admittedly short length. Yes, it could have used a relatively intense refurb, but doing away with it entirely just seems wrong.

And not to harp on it, but Frozen wasn't as amazing as the internet has built it up to be. I enjoyed it a great deal, but I don't think it deserves to practically take over the entire Norway Pavilion. Not to mention-unless you go out of season, getting anywhere near Norway should prove impossible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom