Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

lazyboy97o

I'm not disagreeing...wish we could have our cake and eat it too. But we know that's not the way it works. I'd rather have something losely based on WS theming than nothing. Sorry my opinion differs.
This decision had nothing to do with the theme of World Showcase. It was about quick and cheaply exploiting a hit Disney never saw coming because they think the audience is too undiscerning to notice or care. The aesthetics are there and that is why Norway was chosen. This is why i asked if Pinocchio's Daring Journey would be a welcome addition to the Germany Pavilion. It would be adding something and aesthetically fit.

Mr. Moderate

The creativity, effort and bar might be low in the United States, but it's looking good at other resorts around the world. Shanghai should be stunning. Upgrades in HK look great, check out videos of the the new Paint the Night parade.The technology blend is incredible. Might be the best Disney parade. Ratatouille in Paris looks immersive and creative. It's coming, just not now. Disney is pouring too much money into China.

Unfortunately for 99% of WDW guests, we will never see the efforts and money being spent on the overseas parks. To be honest, a large majority of them, myself included, don't care about the overseas parks and it's another sign of poor management that you extend yourself and your resources too thin in other areas and let the foundation for your biggest successes, grow stale and in some cases deteriorate. What do we get here? MYW bands, more DVC and Frozen. Ugh.

Cesar R M

You're right, he was not all bad, but you can not deny the negative legacy left on all parks that we now are slowly beginning to correct.
"we" ??
are you a CM or a upper management guy or what?

plus, aren't the one who "helped" and "suggested" Eisner's bad moves.. the guys who are in charge now?

devoy1701

Sometimes diehard fans get way too caught up in the battle against TDO.

Sometimes you have to focus on the fact that they at least took a moment to consider aesthetics.

lazyboy97o

Unfortunately for 99% of WDW guests, we will never see the efforts and money being spent on the overseas parks. To be honest, a large majority of them, myself included, don't care about the overseas parks and it's another sign of poor management that you extend yourself and your resources too thin in other areas and let the foundation for your biggest successes, grow stale and in some cases deteriorate. What do we get here? MYW bands, more DVC and Frozen. Ugh.
Disney does not wholly own any of their international parks. Resources ar not being stretched for other ventures.

Sometimes diehard fans get way too caught up in the battle against TDO.

Sometimes you have to focus on the fact that they at least took a moment to consider aesthetics.
How is considering aesthetics something to praise?

Cesar R M

American fans *want* mediocrity. Tom Staggs said so himself, 'this is what guests want', and anytime Disney does anything half-assed and gets hundreds of people gushing praise... they're confirming that desire. The reason WDW doesn't get high quality products is because people can't wait to voice their happiness when they do things on the cheap.

The Japanese have higher standards, and expect more bang for their buck (even though their park entrance tickets are half the price of the US parks), so you can get away with mediocrity less.
Well, Staggs also is part of the problem and is to blame.
Having an insane guerrilla PR system that automatically cleans for ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS from the Disney media, certainly helps to maintain the circle of mediocrity.
Not to mention the paid guy,s who invade forums they cant control to say. And repeat the same circle-j action of "anything produced by Disney is better than sliced bread" to skew opinions.

Of course with this system, he will NEVER see the people who really wants a better Disney.

Cesar R M

Statistically, people are more likely to voice negative comments than positive ones.
Because being pleased 99% of the time does not warrant a post. It means they're doing their job and thus theres nothing to talk about. (unless that 1% which is when the employees/company/service surpasses the expectations and deserves praise)

devoy1701

"A news report out of Norway details the country's reluctance to continue funding the pavilion, and says that Maelstrom may close as soon as October to make way for the new ride. The report claims that Disney has offered Norway the opportunity to pay roughly $9 million to update and maintain the pavilion as a promotional platform for the country -- instead of the hit movie."

btw, it also says that travel to Norway has tripled since the release of the movie, and that hotel bookings are up 30%. Looks like Norway was given the option to update the Pavilion and keep it true to the "theme of The World Showcase" but hasn't been willing to. So why would we NOT expect Disney to refresh the offerings with their own intellectual property. A lot of the reason the "failure of Epcot" in recent history has been from lack of corporate funding in Future World and funding from countries in World Showcase. TDO could probably do a better job of trying to secure those sponsorship, but again, the other option here is for them to continue to shudder offerings because of lack of funding.

dadddio

I think that most people want Maelstrom to be touched, just not with Frozen, or any other characters for that matter. Disney could do the right thing and give the ride a proper update and renovation, but they aren't. If they wanted to breathe life into world showcase, they could have added 2 more rides. I know its not a big sample size but my 2 nieces and daughter (10, 11 and 12yrs old) and my wife and her sister and my sister were all mad about this. Not that its Frozen but that it doesn't belong in Norway. And that is what I think most people have a problem with, not keeping Maelstrom as some museum and never touching it.
So you basically just told three tween girls about the plan to put a Frozen attraction in Norway and they immediately complained that Frozen doesn't belong in Norway? Did they also go on and on about Epcot's purpose?

Methinks that children give a reaction that is based on what the adults feed them.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Dont forget that many Disney execs had ZERO faith in Frozen and did not see it becoming a popular movie. Now that its a hit, they are just throwing it everywhere they can. The same group of people that had no faith in it are the same ones that think this layover is a good idea. Goes to show the extreme lack of vision in its inception and the follow through into the parks. My cat could make better decisions for the parks than these clowns.

Cesar R M

Yes, but it will be an up charge themed toilet. Pee with a Princess for just $50. While Elsa and Anna sing that unforgettable song you and your kids can Let it Go down the toilet and Olaf's cute carrot nose is the toilet handle. Not to leave out the boys you can have a ing contest with Kristoff. Hans' face is on the urinal cakes, hit it just right and Sven "talks" to you. In both boys and girls restrooms the trolls will sing Fixer Upper as you look at yourself in the mirror.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

lazyboy97o

"A news report out of Norway details the country's reluctance to continue funding the pavilion, and says that Maelstrom may close as soon as October to make way for the new ride. The report claims that Disney has offered Norway the opportunity to pay roughly $9 million to update and maintain the pavilion as a promotional platform for the country -- instead of the hit movie."

btw, it also says that travel to Norway has tripled since the release of the movie, and that hotel bookings are up 30%. Looks like Norway was given the option to update the Pavilion and keep it true to the "theme of The World Showcase" but hasn't been willing to. So why would we NOT expect Disney to refresh the offerings with their own intellectual property. A lot of the reason the "failure of Epcot" in recent history has been from lack of corporate funding in Future World and funding from countries in World Showcase. TDO could probably do a better job of trying to secure those sponsorship, but again, the other option here is for them to continue to shudder offerings because of lack of funding.
You're repeating old information, even for this thread. The Walt Disney Company is far larger than Walt Disney Products and does not need sponsorship. Norway is also not an intellectual property owned by the government.

twebber55

I understand that people are upset, and I can respect their opinions. But from a business stand point, I understand Disney wanting to capitalize on this huge hit. Everyone says Frozen belongs in MK. But MK does not need the attendance bump- it is the #1 visited theme park on the planet. That leaves AK, HS, and Epcot. AK makes no sense and they are focusing on the night aspect of the park in order to make it a whole day experience. So, AK gets glowing plants from Avatar and a night show. HS is a great fit for frozen, but I think when we see their vision for Star Wars and maybe Pixar properties and how they hope to change the park, then maybe it will make more sense as to how it does not fit their vision. This leaves EPCOT. I understand people not wanting to see Maelstrom touched, but from Disney's side, I can see how they would want to update a ride in desperate need of attention and cashing in on a lucrative property before the excitement wanes. It completely changes the vision of EPCOT. I'm sure time will see Ratatouille in France, Aladdin ride in Morocco, etc. I agree with other posters that when EPCOT was conceived the idea of a world's fair was more exotic and intriguing than it is now. People travel much more and technology has changed how we much we know about other cultures. If adding beloved characters to EPCOT enables DIsney to breathe new life into a park struggling to find an identity, then I'm okay with it. I think it could be fun to see Disney characters with exciting rides added to world showcase. I think they can still teach about cultures but also make changes. None of have seen the Frozen ride. Maybe it will discuss Norwegian culture to some standpoint. And maybe it won't. I think I've come to terms that the EPCOT of the 80's is no more....It doesn't mean that the vision cannot change to become something educational and culturally significant while also embracing animated hits. Do you really see Disney announcing a new Norway ride or Germany ride that explores the country and has no tie-in to intellectual properties. Nope. Not the world we live in anymore. So, where does Disney go with EPCOT? Let it rot so we can enjoy how it's always been. I say bring on the change.
right this is how i think Disney looks at this...Frozen would be a great fit for either MK or DHS but DHS is about to get a big investment (fingers crossed) anf MK doesnt necessarily need this, DAK is already getting Pandora so the place that needs help is EPCOT whether you agree with the move or not personally im indifferent but i understand that people dont like this idea

lazyboy97o

I don't know. Ask the people who were up in arms over the DL Club 33 changes.
Aesthetics are a pretty basic component of design. Even then, Club 33 was supposed to be hidden within New Orleans Square and that is achieved by the aesthetics. World a Showcase is about far more than just aesthetics. Why did they even bother with a China Pavilion and a Japan Pavilion when they both look a lot alike?

Tell me who it's good for.
Disney fans who do not really like themed entertainment and demand more "Disney" at the theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom