Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

devoy1701

Frozen is not about Norway and based not he comments by Tom Staggs the ride will be about the characters and music.
The movie takes place in Norway. It's a pretty important fact that some of you are leaving out. Even if the ride is about the songs and characters, you'll be traveling through Norway on SOME level...which makes it about Norway.

Magenta Panther

Don't use overlay as it angers some people who are too literal. Use refurd (a refurbishment that doesn't make the ride better and actually makes it worse whether as an attraction itself or as a poor thematic fit).

It's great to hear your thought on this. The negative response shouldn't be at all surprising though. Those who seek the spirit of Norway face peril and adventure, not Anna & Elsa.

"Refurd", heheheheh.

lazyboy97o

The movie takes place in Norway. It's a pretty important fact that some of you are leaving out. Even if the ride is about the songs and characters, you'll be traveling through Norway on SOME level...which makes it about Norway.
It is not important because the setting is not important to the story. The film is about the girls' relationship, not where they live. Being set somewhere else would not significantly alter the plot.

Magenta Panther

You guys are acting like Frozen has no concept or bearing on being located in the Norway Pavilion. It does. It might not fit the "original" concept of no characters in the world showcase, but who cares. Money going to Epcot and the World Showcase in a way of a new/plussed attraction that still moderately fits the original theme isn't a bad thing.

And the argument regarding long-term/short-term money. Snow White has been a Disney Princess now for 80 years, Frozen is the biggest WDA movie since the Golden Age of Disney in the early 90s. Regardless of how "great" some of think the movie or music is (I watched it once and was done with it), it's probably going to be another timeless Disney Movie.

I don't think anyone disagrees that Frozen will live forever. The hyper-phenom will die down, but Frozen is immortal. Princesses, after all, are Disney's coin-of-the-realm. The difficulty is that Frozen does not have a particularly Norwegian flavor - nothing like Mulan's connection with China, since Fa Mulan is actually a Chinese folk tale that Disney adapted - and everyone knows that TDO is just trying to (understandably, I admit) cash in on Frozen's popularity BUT it is doing it as cheaply and lazily as possible - what else can you say when TDO chooses to substitute one ride for another instead of leaving the original ride alone and building a whole new attraction?

devoy1701

It is not important because the setting is not important to the story. The film is about the girls' relationship, not where they live. Being set somewhere else would not significantly alter the plot.

Not going to continue down this path. But, if the story took place in Germany and could be used to showcase German architecture and natural beauty, I'd be ok with them fitting this into the German Pavilion. The fact that we're still getting a ride, it's going to be updated, and it's offering a chance to ride through some romanticized Norwegian scenery...even if it's paired with a Disney fairytale, makes me OK with this change.

You guys are acting like Maelstrom was a stand-up attraction.

devoy1701

I don't think anyone disagrees that Frozen will live forever. The hyper-phenom will die down, but Frozen is immortal. Princesses, after all, are Disney's coin-of-the-realm. The difficulty is that Frozen does not have a particularly Norwegian flavor - nothing like Mulan's connection with China, since Fa Mulan is actually a Chinese folk tale that Disney adapted - and everyone knows that TDO is just trying to (understandably, I admit) cash in on Frozen's popularity BUT it is doing it as cheaply and lazily as possible - what else can you say when TDO chooses to substitute one ride for another instead of leaving the original ride alone and building a whole new attraction?

Now that is something to complain about...ripping and replacing instead of adding a net new attraction. I'll all day about that kind of malarky. But putting that aside because TDO isn't willing to invest that heavily into their parks until absolutely necessary, this is better than waiting another 10 years and letting Maelstrom rot away and then get shuddered from future guest use.

Jlasoon

I just hate all this focus on Frozen and there's just so much that bothers me about it. To me, the worst part is that is shows the company has little regard for their guests, thinks a majority of them are stupid and will accept any meager offing Disney management gives them, and sadly there's a large number of them that will. The powers that be at WDW are busy slapping Frozen on anything and everything they can and do it cheap and easy seems to be the order of the day. Seeing the lack of creativity and effort from a company who set the bar so high in the first place, is just depressing to me.

The creativity, effort and bar might be low in the United States, but it's looking good at other resorts around the world. Shanghai should be stunning. Upgrades in HK look great, check out videos of the the new Paint the Night parade.The technology blend is incredible. Might be the best Disney parade. Ratatouille in Paris looks immersive and creative. It's coming, just not now. Disney is pouring too much money into China.

lazyboy97o

Not going to continue down this path. But, if the story took place in Germany and could be used to showcase German architecture and natural beauty, I'd be ok with them fitting this into the German Pavilion. The fact that we're still getting a ride, it's going to be updated, and it's offering a chance to ride through some romanticized Norwegian scenery...even if it's paired with a Disney fairytale, makes me OK with this change.

You guys are acting like Maelstrom was a stand-up attraction.
Maelstrom's quality is irrelevant. By your reasoning Pinocchio's Daring Journey would be a nice little addition to the Germany Pavilion.

lazyboy97o

The creativity, effort and bar might be low in the United States, but it's looking good at other resorts around the world. Shanghai should be stunning. Upgrades in HK look great, check out videos of the the new Paint the Night parade.The technology blend is incredible. Might be the best Disney parade. Ratatouille in Paris looks immersive and creative. It's coming, just not now. Disney is pouring too much money into China.
Disney right now, when it comes to theme parks, are at their best in places where they are not alone in calling the shots.

FigmentFreak

Nobody has asked the big question here... will there be a themed toilet?

Yes, but it will be an up charge themed toilet. Pee with a Princess for just $50. While Elsa and Anna sing that unforgettable song you and your kids can Let it Go down the toilet and Olaf's cute carrot nose is the toilet handle. Not to leave out the boys you can have a ing contest with Kristoff. Hans' face is on the urinal cakes, hit it just right and Sven "talks" to you. In both boys and girls restrooms the trolls will sing Fixer Upper as you look at yourself in the mirror.

devoy1701

No, that leap you are making is a strawman - arguing Frozen does not celebrate Norway in the spirit of World Showcase has NOTHING to do with arguing the qualify of Maelstrom.
I'm not disagreeing...wish we could have our cake and eat it too. But we know that's not the way it works. I'd rather have something losely based on WS theming than nothing. Sorry my opinion differs.

PhotoDave219

Aside from the ride, and the bakery the pavilion has nothing left. With all the entertainment cuts on top of this, it's an all around bummer. The almighty dollar is obviously their focu onpy when its quick and easy.

Oh I'm sure. Everything is financially motivated.

PhotoDave219

Those should not be the only two choices.
I want an up-to-date theme park that carries through all of its original vision.

This begs the question.... Should a theme park have a vision or a mission?

Just playing devils advocate. Because I think it should.

erasure fan1

I understand people not wanting to see Maelstrom touched,
I think that most people want Maelstrom to be touched, just not with Frozen, or any other characters for that matter. Disney could do the right thing and give the ride a proper update and renovation, but they aren't. If they wanted to breathe life into world showcase, they could have added 2 more rides. I know its not a big sample size but my 2 nieces and daughter (10, 11 and 12yrs old) and my wife and her sister and my sister were all mad about this. Not that its Frozen but that it doesn't belong in Norway. And that is what I think most people have a problem with, not keeping Maelstrom as some museum and never touching it.

PolynesianPrincess

so do you want Epcot to become an outdated relic or do you want an up-to-date theme park that still carries through some of it's original vision?

It's better than nothing...that's all I'm saying. I'm tired of outdated attractions (UoE) and shuttered Pavilions.

While I do agree it's better than nothing, had Epcot been given constant TLC as ALL the parks SHOULD be given (but they're not) then this whole lack of attractions and shuttered pavilions thing wouldn't be an issue. Even though we all don't agree on Maelstrom's fate, I know we all agree these parks should be given updates more than every 5-10 years.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It fits theme (Norway) and a purpose (get people to visit the Norway Pavilion, and entertain them by giving them an attraction based on a wildly popular movie based in Norway). Hopefully they'll be able to tie in some Edutainment as well.

For something to be in theme - it needs to have a purpose, to support or advance the story (don't go off on a tangent about there is no story.. story includes the placemaking and environment the designers intend to project) that the designers intend for the guests to experience.

Simply being 'from Norway' does not make something in theme. The theme and purpose of the a World Showcase pavilion is not just "here is stuff from Norway!" - It was to celebrate the diversities of our world; to celebrate and highlight the people and cultures of those countries.

Putting a Nascar car out in front of the American Adventure and having a nascar driver signing autographs would be widely popular - but would not be in theme - even though it is from America.

This idea that the check is solely "from that country? A OK then!" is saddening because it shows the exact same fundamental misunderstanding that is plaguing so much of Disney these days. That theming is just about lapping on layers of details or throwbacks. Themeing is to serve a PURPOSE - not to be celebrated as theme itself!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom