Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Lucky

Maybe we should give the ride a chance before critique that harshly no?
They've said they're replacing a ride about Norway with one about a fictional place called Arendelle. For those of us who want the country pavilions to be about the countries, that's all we need to know. It might turn out to be a great ride - for another park. But it doesn't belong there.

Tom Morrow

Maybe we should give the ride a chance before critique that harshly no?
The quality of the eventual Frozen ride (and the quality of Maelstrom, which, let's be honest, was only okay) is completely beside the point.

It could turn out to be a great E-Ticket. It still doesn't belong in World Showcase, especially at the expensive an attraction and pavilion that does belong.

Arty Cordova

I am normally one not to critique something ahead of time, but the idea of Frozen in the Norway pavilion is fundamentally flawed. They could build the best possible ride and it still wouldn't make it an appropriate fit.
Well I guess we shall see. The Mouse has spoken, so let's put on our sneakers, buy a ticket and keep the dream going. Disney will go on.

minsmk

The greatest attraction in the world still would not make Frozen a Norwegian film.

I am normally one not to critique something ahead of time, but the idea of Frozen in the Norway pavilion is fundamentally flawed. They could build the best possible ride and it still wouldn't make it an appropriate fit.

You two said it better than me lol. I guess I'm just a little too hurt and raw about it. Perhaps after some time I would be able to put it better.

BigTxEars

Because Maelstrom was one of the first rides that got me on splash mountain, (IK it sounds stupid but I was scared of it as a child lol.) and it also is a classic IMO.

There are a whole lot of things for kids to do in Epcot. Unless they are apart of this new smartphone infatuated gen... Not to sound rude but kids are getting more and more stupid, why not teach them something about an ACTUAL country and not some fictional land that is ruled by some boring blonde queen who has some ice powers.

I guess kids now a days would rather watch frozen on an ipad instead of riding a ride or talking to people... (I saw a dad do that with a 3 year old who wasn't tall enough for sorin') Also kids will ride Maelstrom and love it. I did and I went home and looked for books about Norway because I thought the culture was amazing. And guess what? I learned something..

So, a Frozen ride with NO elements of actual norwegian culture will teach kids? No, it won't.. But I guess it will melt their brains and keep them busy like those nifty tablets.. Wouldn't you say?

Just my opinion and not trying to offend.

This reminds me of WWII buffs who think any WWII movie that is not 100% accurate in every small detail is worthless in teaching non WWII buffs about that amazing time in history. If one plane used in the movie is not correct, one soldier carries the wrong type of rifle etc then the movie is worthless and nobody can learn from it. I have never agreed with that, as a WWII buff I think movies like "Red Tails" (which was torn apart by many WWII buffs) did wonders to teach many about the sacrifice of those men.

I think a Frozen overlay in Norway can do the same. If Frozen can be an introduction to Norwegian culture, even a simple basic one then it can teach. I would guess that more American parents and kids have had conversations about Norway in the last year than in the previous 10 years combined because of Forzen. That can not be a bad thing for education.

Mike S

If it's a trackless? Sure I love trackless rides and they need more in the states. But if it's just Frozen? (Which I really do NOT like Frozen.) then I probably will ride it once to see it and never ride it again.

Also will Frozen still be popular in 2016? That's my question..
They need to build one here in the first place before we get "more" ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm glad they didn't decide to change it to the Arendelle pavilion and keep it the Norway pavilion. Best case senario is the ride brings to the attention of kids and adults of what land and culture the movie frozen was based off of, and throughout the pavilion people will be more apt to stop and think and explore Norway and it's culture because of the Frozen ride.

But how much of Norway is actually going to be left in the pavilion?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This reminds me of WWII buffs who think any WWII movie that is not 100% accurate in every small detail is worthless in teaching non WWII buffs about that amazing time in history. If one plane used in the movie is not correct, one soldier carries the wrong type of rifle etc then the movie is worthless and nobody can learn from it. I have never agreed with that, as a WWII buff I think movies like "Red Tails" (which was torn apart by many WWII buffs) did wonders to teach many about the sacrifice of those men.

I think a Frozen overlay in Norway can do the same. If Frozen can be an introduction to Norwegian culture, even a simple basic one then it can teach. I would guess that more American parents and kids have had conversations about Norway in the last year than in the previous 10 years combined because of Forzen. That can not be a bad thing for education.

But we are not talking about "minor details" here. This is like showing kids Captain America: The First Avenger to teach them about WWII.

lazyboy97o

This goes beyond just some artistic license. Would you say a film with some Germans in it is a World War II film?

Tom Morrow

If they do ONE thing right with this attraction, I HOPE to god that they use the Frozen characters to tell you about Norway in some way. Please, not another Seas With Nemo and Friends ride where its just a lazy, Fantasyland-style re-telling of the movie. PLEASE.

I really didn't think there was so much passion about Norway. As long as They keep that big ugly troll for pictures, I'm happy.
Again, the popularity of Norway and the pavilion is beside the point. It belongs in World Showcase whereas Frozen completely goes against the entire point of World Showcase.

minsmk

Brock from MA on September 12th, 2014 at 3:43 pm
"I will tremendously miss the Maelstrom. I enjoy Frozen, and I’m trying very hard to be open minded about this massive change to my favorite World Showcase pavilion. At least the rumors are now fact and we can enjoy what is to come and have memories of what soon will be what once was in Epcot.

As someone of Norwegian heritage, I am also very interested to see how Norway’s people, history, and culture will be preserved, intertwined, and promoted in the new attraction.

Seeing the announcement of the end of the Maelstrom is a shock, but I’m trying to put my faith, trust, and maybe a little pixie dust in the hands of those who are following the inspiration of Walt and his legacy in the Disney parks.

1b9637f2d7b7c7e92e74b48af1600518

Tom Staggs on September 12th, 2014 at 7:35 pm
We know that many people have enjoyed Maelstrom over the years, and it’s always a difficult decision to take one attraction out to make way for another. However, we think that creating this new Frozen attraction is the right choice for our guests."

Wooooow Tom.. What a "Nice" way to put it. Not many of your classic disney world think this is the "Right choice" for them.

Maybe some once in a lifetime guests like it but.. idk

Mike S

Brock from MA on September 12th, 2014 at 3:43 pm
"I will tremendously miss the Maelstrom. I enjoy Frozen, and I’m trying very hard to be open minded about this massive change to my favorite World Showcase pavilion. At least the rumors are now fact and we can enjoy what is to come and have memories of what soon will be what once was in Epcot.

As someone of Norwegian heritage, I am also very interested to see how Norway’s people, history, and culture will be preserved, intertwined, and promoted in the new attraction.

Seeing the announcement of the end of the Maelstrom is a shock, but I’m trying to put my faith, trust, and maybe a little pixie dust in the hands of those who are following the inspiration of Walt and his legacy in the Disney parks.

1b9637f2d7b7c7e92e74b48af1600518

Tom Staggs on September 12th, 2014 at 7:35 pm
We know that many people have enjoyed Maelstrom over the years, and it’s always a difficult decision to take one attraction out to make way for another. However, we think that creating this new Frozen attraction is the right choice for our guests."

Wooooow Tom.. What a "Nice" way to put it. Not many of your classic disney world think this is the "Right choice" for them.

Maybe some once in a lifetime guests like it but.. idk
It almost sounds like a robotic automatic response. Pathetic.

Club34

This is very disappointing. You can clearly see that disney [and i know they are a multi-billion dollar company] are only about the bucks and the short sighted pay out.

I guess its ironic that I bought one of those maelstrom shirts recently. Now when I go in Nov. I may not even get a last ride on it. Sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom