Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

englanddg

One Little Spark...
yes.
you have to go somewhere specifically in the ship ( in the wonder, it was the helpdesk)
to pick up the fastpasses, they were limited due of the popularity.
I think it started in the Fantasy first.
This doesn't surprise me. The meet and greet lines sometimes were insane.

As a side note, I suspect it won't be long before MDE and Magicbands make their way onto the cruises. I think the application there is actually ideal.

AEfx

As a side note, I suspect it won't be long before MDE and Magicbands make their way onto the cruises. I think the application there is actually ideal.

Now that is actually an appropriate use of that technology. Everyone is staying "on site", can be issued a band when they board, etc.

Oh, and to stay a bit on topic - Once Upon a Time has had a massive ratings boost with Frozen. They held on to a good chunk of it in Week 2 as well - compared to other shows, it looks like they held on to more of their premiere boost than pretty much any other program. (Traditionally, folks tune in live to see the premiere, and then DVR/etc. takes over for a lot of viewers.)

It's not my favorite storyline, but I am glad for the boost it's given the show, which will help make sure we get a Season 5.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Here's a little something especially for you guys on this thread... enjoy!

I wish. Could like this a dozen times. Seriously LOL'd. How absolutely perfect!

Now that is actually an appropriate use of that technology. Everyone is staying "on site", can be issued a band when they board, etc.

Oh, and to stay a bit on topic - Once Upon a Time has had a massive ratings boost with Frozen. They held on to a good chunk of it in Week 2 as well - compared to other shows, it looks like they held on to more of their premiere boost than pretty much any other program. (Traditionally, folks tune in live to see the premiere, and then DVR/etc. takes over for a lot of viewers.)

It's not my favorite storyline, but I am glad for the boost it's given the show, which will help make sure we get a Season 5.

...with that said (and I agree) I'm hoping the addition of the frozen storyline doesn't dumb down the rest of the show. It was finally reaching a nice, solid, complex storyline and then Elsa. :/ I'm happy they're being incorporated, I just hope that people don't start whining that they don't understand the show or characters because they've only started watching it at S4E1.

I did love the animation job on Marshmellow and the trolls. I thought they were well done.

I can just see Marshmellow sending you back, back, over the falls in the "new" ride. :(

aladdin2007

I wish. Could like this a dozen times. Seriously LOL'd. How absolutely perfect!

...with that said (and I agree) I'm hoping the addition of the frozen storyline doesn't dumb down the rest of the show. It was finally reaching a nice, solid, complex storyline and then Elsa. :/ I'm happy they're being incorporated, I just hope that people don't start whining that they don't understand the show or characters because they've only started watching it at S4E1.

I did love the animation job on Marshmellow and the trolls. I thought they were well done.

I can just see Marshmellow sending you back, back, over the falls in the "new"
ride. :(

just taking a fun hunch at it but thinking elsa might be the one to do that, where the trolls where, and then marshmellow where the polar bears were, but who knows could be all together different really. The majority of those areas/scenes will probably be unrecognizable or reconfigured etc.

AEfx

I think that's why they did the intro special before the first episode, which I actually just got around to watching this evening. It really gives a good overview of the first three seasons, and of course it's also widely available in it's entirety via streaming and DVD/Blu-ray, so hopefully that won't be a factor. Since supposedly the producers went to Disney to ask to use them, not the other way around, I'm hoping they have more in mind.

I liked the way the promo for this season almost parodied the fact that they were bringing in Frozen which might seem too "of the moment" - I think the guys who produce the show have a good sense about it, and a good sense of humor, and I trust it's not going to take over the show any more than any of the half-season other arcs have on a permanent basis.

You also brought up a good point - since they were using Frozen, ABC definitely gave them a nice budget to work with. There was some real quality CGI work in the premiere that was far beyond any CGI the show has done before. I was very pleasantly surprised with all that - simply did not expect it to that extent.

Figments Friend

If anyone is interested in seeing some of the pictures from "behind the scenes"/backstage at the Maelstrom ride, I have put them on my site. www.norwaypavilion.com
View attachment 68806View attachment 68807 View attachment 68808 View attachment 68809 View attachment 68811View attachment 68813View attachment 68814

Just now catching up here in this thread, and having just now seen your photos and website i had to take the time the THANK YOU for what you have done.
The photographs are wonderful to see.
Some excellent shots, and some great examples of the little details most Guests miss while passing by in the darkened Show lighting.

Taking the time to share this with others needs to be commended, not scorned....so do not worry yourself too much about 'Disney' watching you and your site from afar.
What you have done is a timely and meaningful tribute, and in no way 'ruins the Magic' from my perspective.

As you had said yourself, the Attraction is now officially 'extinct'....and as such, it is important to document what was there as best as possible.
You have done just that.
Many of your photos are unique and show things most of us who rode by never had the opportunity to examine at such close angles.
Your photos of the Viking Village are a excellent example.

I thank Odin you were there to preserve some of it for us with your firsthand experiences, personal insights, and interesting photographs.

Again, many thanks for sharing your thoughts and photographs on 'Maelstrom'.
This is one old time EPCOT Center fan that appreciates it !

:)

Last edited:

Texas84

Norway today. The CMs were playing some kind of game for the kids with Viking helmets. WDW security lurking in the background.
WP_20141011_17_04_06_Pro.jpg

aladdin2007

Norway today. The CMs were playing some kind of game for the kids with Viking helmets. WDW security lurking in the background.
View attachment 69395

Interesting, they need to bring back the folk music trio though. something over in there. The other day there were about five Norwegian cast members standing under the umbrella at the doors, odd that security is there now. Its not like someone will try to break in as theres nothing left in there to steal. I wouldn't have minded owning one of the flags from the queue for myself though. :(

afb28

Again, the movie and it's merits of good quality entertainment are not in question. The story could be amazing but at the end of the day they're cramming a successful IP in an area where IPs do not belong regardless of their box office prowess.
I was only correcting someone's claim that the movie is about a woman trying to find a husband.

I will never be ok with the ride taking over.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I think that's why they did the intro special before the first episode, which I actually just got around to watching this evening. It really gives a good overview of the first three seasons, and of course it's also widely available in it's entirety via streaming and DVD/Blu-ray, so hopefully that won't be a factor. Since supposedly the producers went to Disney to ask to use them, not the other way around, I'm hoping they have more in mind.

I liked the way the promo for this season almost parodied the fact that they were bringing in Frozen which might seem too "of the moment" - I think the guys who produce the show have a good sense about it, and a good sense of humor, and I trust it's not going to take over the show any more than any of the half-season other arcs have on a permanent basis.

You also brought up a good point - since they were using Frozen, ABC definitely gave them a nice budget to work with. There was some real quality CGI work in the premiere that was far beyond any CGI the show has done before. I was very pleasantly surprised with all that - simply did not expect it to that extent.

Yeah the budget definitely got a boost due to frozen being a part of the show now. The troll cgi was spot on. :) last seasons...cgi characters...we're well done but kind of cheesy, this years seems a bit more promising.

I still wish disney would give this ride a solid, new show building and ride instead of the used car edition. And as gross as maelstrom was, it could have USX a really good clean job, and a refurb, and it would still draw big crowds by itself.

Trying to stay on topic ;)

bhg469

Again, the merits of cramming a successful IP in an area where IPs do not belong are not in question- they are, at best, a moot point.
At the end of the day, they're changing the ride in the Norway show building to a Frozen themed ride.
Are you commenting about the topic on this thread? Because it seems like you've missed the entire conversation.

Kman101

I understand the upset of Maelstrom going and Frozen replacing it but to act like Maelstrom was this amazing ride? Come on now. That's not me saying I WANT Frozen there, I don't, but the knocking of people who aren't outraged over this is a bit much for me. It's not the second coming of rides. It's a very sad loss for Epcot, IMO, but the ride was far from the best. Again, IMO.

And so what if people are fans of the parks past 2000? I dislike a lot of what has gone on byt what if that's all someone knows? Why are they being knocked for that? And if they support characters in Epcot, IMO, that doesn't mean they don't understand the original concept of the park. With the reaction in here you'd think they've gutted the entire park and shut it down.

hpyhnt 1000

I understand the upset of Maelstrom going and Frozen replacing it but to act like Maelstrom was this amazing ride? Come on now. That's not me saying I WANT Frozen there, I don't, but the knocking of people who aren't outraged over this is a bit much for me. It's not the second coming of rides. It's a very sad loss for Epcot, IMO, but the ride was far from the best. Again, IMO.

And so what if people are fans of the parks past 2000? I dislike a lot of what has gone on byt what if that's all someone knows? Why are they being knocked for that? And if they support characters in Epcot, IMO, that doesn't mean they don't understand the original concept of the park. With the reaction in here you'd think they've gutted the entire park and shut it down.

Agree that there is no need to insult or berate others. And I think most people who dislike Frozen coming to Norway (myself included) freely admit that Maelstrom was not a great attraction. But it could, it should, have been updated and plussed, not simply closed down and destroyed.

The other, bigger issue with Frozen in Norway, however, is theme and placement. World Showcase should be about real countries and places, not fictitious animated ones. By putting Frozen in Norway, Disney is deliberately ignoring the theming of World Showcase and that is something that should give everyone pause, Frozen supporter or not.

Its not about understanding the original concept of EPCOT Center. Its about Disney adhering to its own standards of theming.

Magenta Panther

Agree that there is no need to insult or berate others. And I think most people who dislike Frozen coming to Norway (myself included) freely admit that Maelstrom was not a great attraction. But it could, it should, have been updated and plussed, not simply closed down and destroyed.

The other, bigger issue with Frozen in Norway, however, is theme and placement. World Showcase should be about real countries and places, not fictitious animated ones. By putting Frozen in Norway, Disney is deliberately ignoring the theming of World Showcase and that is something that should give everyone pause, Frozen supporter or not.

Its not about understanding the original concept of EPCOT Center. Its about Disney adhering to its own standards of theming.

Yes, and also...there's the impression of Disney just lazily pasting over an existing ride instead of investing in a whole new one. The vibe being given off is "quick and cheap." Hardly a tribute to Disney's legacy of plussing.

aladdin2007

This, as its been said in this thread a hundred times over its not so much about Maelstrom (we can all agree it needed a redo), its more about Norwegian culture and themes. But that doesnt matter to Disney anymore as long as they can save money and squeeze it in and make an extra buck on the merch that comes with it. Now had the Norwegian government come through with funding this may have been a whole different conversation. But they didnt so this is what happens. Im still holding out an inkling of hope that Imagineering will somehow implement a Norwegian feel/design to it that we just dont know about. And there are still a couple other things that may come to pass that would make a connection between Norway and frozen.

Timekeeper

This, as its been said in this thread a hundred times over its not so much about Maelstrom (we can all agree it needed a redo), its more about Norwegian culture and themes. But that doesnt matter to Disney anymore as long as they can save money and squeeze it in and make an extra buck on the merch that comes with it. Now had the Norwegian government come through with funding this may have been a whole different conversation. But they didnt so this is what happens. Im still holding out an inkling of hope that Imagineering will somehow implement a Norwegian feel/design to it that we just dont know about. And there are still a couple other things that may come to pass that would make a connection between Norway and frozen.

I optimistically hope for the same. While a lot of us seem to hate Disney for doing this, we should also remember the reasons why we love Disney. As far as I'm aware, none of us know 'exactly' what the revamped Norway pavilion will look like, so only time will tell. I disagree with the decision, but I will hold off on any absolute opinions until I see the thing for myself.

I hated Universal for removing Jaws. But the first time I walked into Diagon Alley and rode Gringott's, wow, let's just say that the pleasure outweighed the pain.

If, after visiting Norway and Frostrom, the pain still outweighs the pleasure, then we've got problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom