Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

jensenrick

I'd prefer not to defend Frozen but it's best aspect by far is that it says that true love can be a bond between family and is not necessarily cured by a significant other.

Exactly. In that regard, it has much improved over movies like Tangled or Aladdin, even so far as flipping on it's head the idea that someone would marry someone else they had just met.

jensenrick

1. true it might, as we know imagineering charges how many mil for one sign! but 75 mil is a bigger budget for it than originally planned.

2. sorry but thats incorrect they are not remodeling the whole pavilion. its still going to look like it does now. except for inside the show building of course.

3. im certainly not for frozen or anything, but hearing its going to be pretty nice, not exactly a fly by night thrown together job.

It's counter-intuitive to say, "they are so cheap," and then think they would remodel the whole pavilion. Why would they?
Considering the fact that the show building is already there, thus no idea for ALL that crazy rock work that they did on Little Mermaid, $75 million should net some decent show scenes.

tirian

Again, the movie and it's merits of good quality entertainment are not in question. The story could be amazing but at the end of the day they're cramming a successful IP in an area where IPs do not belong regardless of their box office prowess.
Please don't pollute the boards with common sense. Your actions interfere with people who have already made up their minds and refuse to consider other opinions because of Magic. Thank you.

;)

jensenrick

Again, the movie and it's merits of good quality entertainment are not in question. The story could be amazing but at the end of the day they're cramming a successful IP in an area where IPs do not belong regardless of their box office prowess.

Again, the merits of cramming a successful IP in an area where IPs do not belong are not in question- they are, at best, a moot point.
At the end of the day, they're changing the ride in the Norway show building to a Frozen themed ride.

roj2323

From @ ***** "Work has begun on the new #Frozen meet and greet for Anna and Elsa in Norway"
BzoOL_oCMAAYl_1.jpg
That's the nicest looking construction wall i've seen in a while.

Timekeeper

The rest of this thread would seem to contradict that statement.

It seems to me that, when all of the discussion is distilled down to the basic underlying concerns, they are that:

1. Frostrom is not an appropriate fit for a World Showcase attraction, and to the extent that a Frozen-based ride might be appropriate, it would be a better fit for another park.

2. When something like a movie or a song becomes tremendously popular and successful, there's a danger that it becomes 'overexposed' and could just be a fad. Google defines a "fad" as "an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze." There's no question that Frozen has created a bit of a "craze," and the fear is that it - like most crazes - will be short-lived. That concern is heightened by the short attention span of its target youthful audience in today's day and age. None of us can say for sure, and only time will tell, but I think that think that this concern is at least a legitimate one.

Mr Anderson

It realy sucks that we never got a Beauty & the Beast or Aladdin ride but frozen a film with the most unimaginative creature designs I have ever seen and a plot that revolves around a girl trying to land a husband is getting an attraction right away.

I mean we never even got a Lion King ride and that was the Star Wars of animation and the highest grossing animated film for almost two decades.
I always wondered why Disney didn't build a ride around the scene in Aladdin where he has to escape the Cave of Wonders. I always felt Imagineers could have had a field day with that scene and made it into an awesome ride.

Instead we get "rides" like the Little Mermaid that's basically a poor rehash of the movie, the upcoming Frozen ride that's hinted to be the same type...

Maybe they just need to go back to focusing on creating original rides like Pirates of the Carribean, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc. They're the rides everyone enjoys the most, young or old, right?

Last edited:

Timekeeper

I always wondered why Disney didn't build a ride around the scene in Aladdin where he has to escape the Cave of Wonders. I always thought felt Imagineers could have had a field day with that scene and made it into an awesome ride.

Instead we get "rides" like the Little Mermaid that's basically a poor rehash of the movie, the upcoming Frozen ride that's hinted to be the same type...

Maybe they just need to go back to focusing on creating original rides like Pirates of the Carribean, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc. They're the rides everyone enjoys the most, young or old, right?

Agreed! There's something to be said about originality.

Even when it comes to completely unrelated stuff like, for example, the haunted mazes at Halloween Horror Nights, sometimes the "original" concept mazes are more impressive/enjoyable than the ones based on IPs.

Cesar R M

Yes, that was what I said. That is one category of folks who have a more limited version of FP+, that their ticket media entitles them to.

Overall, though - the entire venture was designed to cater to the Disney Mom's crowd. The general public already was overwhelmed by the amount of planning perceived to be needed for a WDW vacation, and was not asking for more. It's sheer absurdity to most folks that you have to plan dining so far in advance, but scheduling a certain time for a 3-5 minute ride months in advance is a whole new level of crazy. It's segregating guests based on access to electronic devices, and to normal people this level of militaristic planning is the opposite of what they look for in what should be leisure time at a theme park.

If you want evidence of that, just walk up to someone, explain the system, and watch as they look at you like you have three green heads, or simply don't believe you that such a thing even exists once they start laughing at the insanity of it all. Booking restaurants six months in advance is crazy enough to folks in the "real" world (there are maybe three or four restaurants in the entire country outside of WDW that require that sort of thing), but scheduling a three to five minute ride potentially months in advance has no parallel in the level of insanity.
I honestly think FP+ and the new MyMagic as nothing to do with "helping" the clients, but to push extreme tight controls on what goes on at the parks.
If everyone has 6+ in advance reservations. Disney Management can check in advance the probable load on the park attractions. Thus they can do "efficiency" changes (aka cost cutting in Rasulo's speak) in managing the CMs and crew.

Timekeeper

Is FP+ in use on the Disney cruise ships? I think that I booked my pool access for 5:45 pm - 6:45 pm, treadmill #9 in the fitness center from 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm, and pub & grill access from 10:45 pm - 11:45 pm, which, along with cruising in general, is the epitome of leisure. o_O

Edit: Oh, crap, I forgot to book access to my stateroom. Did I need to do that too?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Is FP+ in use on the Disney cruise ships? I think that I booked my pool access for 5:45 pm - 6:45 pm, treadmill #9 in the fitness center from 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm, and pub & grill access from 10:45 pm - 11:45 pm, which, along with cruising in general, is the epitome of leisure. o_O

Edit: Oh, crap, I forgot to book access to my stateroom. Did I need to do that too?
:hilarious: Too funny!

But, in a way, it's also more regimented.

You book your excursion times, and you have a deadline to return to the ship. You book other reservations (Remy / Palo ADRs, golf simulator, etc.). You get assigned early or late dinner shifts (if you don't want to just do Cabanas, the little food court, or room service), etc...

When it comes to "attractions" on the ship, there are specific times for pretty much everything outside of the animated painting mini games, food and the pools (which close).

Cesar R M

as a matter of fact, they started to implement fastpass for Anna and Elsa meet and greets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom