Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Mike S

Evicted from their home, the Trolls and Vikings arrive at the Wasteland. A place for old and/or forgotten characters to live. They are greeted at the gate by an old friend whom they had not seen in over a decade. A man dressed in purple with a ginger beard and a top hat. The Dreamfinder. He looks on with a sad face as he realizes more and more of his friends from the place he once called home move to the Wasteland as the years pass by. The Trolls and Vikings greet their old friend and pass on a message, "Figment says hi, he misses you very much."

R.I.P Maelstrom :cry:

baloofigment14

From @ OutpostOrlando "A crowd remains outside the #Maelstrom doors. No one wants to leave"
BzOmnXSCQAE2g-U.jpg

Cesar R M

I recall someone posting that indeed it was based on many things in Norway (which most folks ignored), but he still didn't like it as a replacement.

It's not Disney that's making that connection - nothing I linked to was provided by Disney.

If someone can really take the time to read the articles I linked to, and come back and say that it's all invented does not contain huge swaths of elements of Norway, they are lying or have no reading comprehension.
I never said your links were provided by Disney.

Only thing I am sure is, Disney NEVER mentioned Arendel in the first months of Frozen. Until the plans for shoehorning Frozen into Norway.. someone found the town of Arendel and joked about that town would be sure used as excuse to say "then it fits " to norway's pavilion.

Too busy doing my trip report to go all the way 50 or so pages to find that quote.

Anyway as for Norway pavilion.
How many other rides are in the Worldshowcase based in the represented countries?
isnt the only "ride" apart from Norway's maelstrom,EL RIO DEL TIEMPO?
How can they compare to Norway's Maelstrom in therms of facts vs fiction vs the entire world showcase?
Why is this an excuse sounds a lot of "two wrongs make it a right" for Frozen to be in Maelstrom?

There isn't much to compare when you mentioned this:

and then an entire attraction is added which is almost entirely based on "supernatural" elements (the lone notable exception the oil rig at the end). At the time, it really did not "fit" into what was there, because folks were expecting/waiting for the "travelogue" style rides that were originally proposed.

Matt_Black

Evicted from their home, the Trolls and Vikings arrive at the Wasteland. A place for old and/or forgotten characters to live. They are greeted at the gate by an old friend whom they had not seen in over a decade. A man dressed in purple with a ginger beard and a top hat. The Dreamfinder. He looks on with a sad face as he realizes more and more of his friends from the place he once called home move to the Wasteland as the years pass by. The Trolls and Vikings greet their old friend and pass on a message, "Figment says hi, he misses you very much."

R.I.P Maelstrom :cry:

Could that post be any more maudlin?

Cesar R M

You obviously haven't read any of the Avatar threads. The quality of the attraction will be debated endlessly on here between now and when it opens.
just how big is the budget for avatar anyway?

Unless you've said "This is the ruination of Epcot! If you don't see that, you are a moron!" then I don't think you have anything to worry about. ;)

Credit where credit is due, I don't believe anyone has brought up Walt rolling over in his grave yet - though mainly I think that's because they know that if he was rolling over Epcot, he's been doing so since 1982 since what opened had very little to do with his original vision, to begin with.

Pretty sure that Walt's rotational speed was used as main power generator for the entire WDW park. Hence why the bad park decisions (need to keep that thing rotating!) :joyfull::joyfull:

In other news.. Mr. Poopy Pants!

Mr Anderson

I am glad, no, ecstatic that so many fans got to squeeze in one last ride on Maelstrom. And I am also glad that those who were not a fan, and feel it is over-rated, got to enjoy shorter lines elsewhere in Epcot.

I will miss Maelstrom very much on our upcoming trip in December. It was an enjoyable ride for us; fun, exciting, a bit cheesy, and able to cool us off completely on a hot day (well, we probably won't miss that last part in December ;)).

To those of you who say 'good riddance!', 'it needed to go!', 'bring on Frozen' or something similar, even though I completely disagree with you, and disapprove of Frozen coming to WS, I hope for your sake that the ride is enjoyable.

To those of you who will miss Maelstrom right along with me, I hope you got in a ride somewhat recently, and own some piece of Maelstrom memorabilia that you'll always treasure.

As for the thread, I thought it had started to go back in a good direction, and then I logged in to see several pages of negativity, "she was mean over 100 pages ago!" posts, and arguing brought back yet again. How 'bout from now on, we just post positive things, memories of Maelstrom, conjecture on what's to come, funny things, etc. Basically, stop with the arguments. I will if you will. I think we've all basically said everything there is to be said for both sides at this point anyways. Anything more is just...
dead-horse.gif

Mike S

I am glad, no, ecstatic that so many fans got to squeeze in one last ride on Maelstrom. And I am also glad that those who were not a fan, and feel it is over-rated, got to enjoy shorter lines elsewhere in Epcot.

I will miss Maelstrom very much on our upcoming trip in December. It was an enjoyable ride for us; fun, exciting, a bit cheesy, and able to cool us off completely on a hot day (well, we probably won't miss that last part in December ;)).

To those of you who say 'good riddance!', 'it needed to go!', 'bring on Frozen' or something similar, even though I completely disagree with you, and disapprove of Frozen coming to WS, I hope for your sake that the ride is enjoyable.

To those of you who will miss Maelstrom right along with me, I hope you got in a ride somewhat recently, and own some piece of Maelstrom memorabilia that you'll always treasure.

As for the thread, I thought it had started to go back in a good direction, and then I logged in to see several pages of negativity, "she was mean over 100 pages ago!" posts, and arguing brought back yet again. How 'bout from now on, we just post positive things, memories of Maelstrom, conjecture on what's to come, funny things, etc. Basically, stop with the arguments. I will if you will. I think we've all basically said everything there is to be said for both sides at this point anyways. Anything more is just...
dead-horse.gif
A thread just about Maelstrom memories and conjecture on how Frozen will be done. I can do it if others can. Let all past arguments remain there, in the past. Getting a little sick of repeating myself anyways.

Nubs70

dead-horse.gif
Please place a bouquet of flowers at the door. If walls are up, place them at the foot of the Viking statue. Turn it into a shrine.

ThemeParkJunkee

Thank you to the posters who reported throughout the day on Maelstrom's closing. While it was a bit tedious to wade through the back and forth arguments between a few oppositional members, some of the contributions actually brought me to tears. I was very moved with stories that involved the Norway CMs. They were always my favorites to talk to. Generally, the only merchandise I buy is at the Norway pavilion an have had such wonderful times discussing my grandparents recipes for Norwegian favorites and Norwegian traditions we had with the CMs at the store.

I am normally not moved to tears by ANYTHING in a theme park, for some reason I was. I think it is because I arrive at WDW with my first evening at Epcot in 12 days and Norway will be a shadow of its former self. It is also because I feel like half of my heritage has been closed down in World Showcase. Well, I still have an ADR at Monsieur Paul in honor of my mother. Never was going to eat dinner in honor of my father since it's a "princess thing" so I rode Maelstrom and shopped instead.

Again, thanks for the posts and links to Twitter (except for that silly argument about "trending").

FigmentJedi

So I think Orlando Sentinel wins the contest for best Maelstrom retrospective news article from this opening alone
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...trom-ride-at-epcot-20141005-story.html#page=1
The cycle, as foretold by the Norse elders in the Ragnarok events, is complete.

The Yggdrasil tree has shuddered, and Odin has spoken one last time to wise Mimir's head. Raise and sound the Gjallarhorn a final time Heimdall: The Maelstrom attraction at Epcot's Norway pavilion is no more as we once knew it.

True to the prophecies recounted in the "Poetic Edda," all that surrounds us is fated to undergo a renovation, a recasting, a rebirth in time and meaning. So why should we be surprised that Sunday was the last day the Maelstrom attraction existed in its original form?

Though sources have not confirmed to the Sentinel the end-of-time battle deaths of Odin, Loki, the mighty Thor and countless others who reined over the so-called "twilight of the gods," Disney sources have confirmed that the Maelstrom ride is now closed but will reopen anew in 2016.

The reason for the popular water ride's ending and rebirth is the same as that confronting the Norse god Freyr — an overwhelming force can't be overcome. But instead of Surtr and his flaming sword, it was two Norwegian sisters and a sunshine-loving snowman that brought this popular ride to a standstill for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom