Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

lazyboy97o

When you think about it, it's not surprising how slow they have been. Even had they expected the film to be a success and prepared, they still probably would drag their feet. While a much more ambitious project, Avatar was announced almost exactly 3 years ago (September 2011) and has only just this year begun moving dirt (with still no vertical construction I gather and not opening until 2017 at the earliest, and Iger initially claimed it would be finished in 2015).
Three years however has been the normal design timeline for attractions for some time now. Even within Universal Creative we hear rumors a few years out because design starts that far out. This ride is look at like 6 months design time. That isn't a good plan of action even if we all agreed the film is a fitting replacement for Maelstrom. That is some of the biggest evidence that the excitement is for brand and the known over actual quality and substance.

Admiral01

Premium Member
From the creative geniuses that brought you:
  • Stitch's Great Escape
  • Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management
  • Journey into Imagination with Figment
  • Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends
  • Gran Fiesta Tour starring The Three Caballeros
  • "Updated" Polynesian Village lobby
  • Disco Yeti
  • No more Toad, Horizons, or WoL
  • and The Hat
...comes the next big step in rushed-through, low-quality, banking-on-the-brand-name overlays that destroy a WDW original with an attraction that targets the lowest common denominator: Frozen...in Norway...at EPCOT...! Because what better way to celebrate the history and culture of Norway than a fictional fairytale land based on a movie that came out 10 months ago!?! What better way to reward the fans of the real EPCOT than by once again taking something that we love and that we have paid big money to be able to see, turning it into a lame "kids" ride, and then telling us that we should continue paying big money to come see it, even though none of us wanted it in the first place!?!

The more I read, the more pumped I am to discontinue spending any money at WDW. They don't give me a product I want, so I'm not going to buy it anymore. Simple as that.

BigTxEars

I went to Epcot in the mid 80's with my family and we didn't have any problem enjoying it together without the assistance of characters.

Great. That does not mean other people could not or would not enjoy it more with characters. WDW was not built for anyone person to enjoy just the way they want to. Folks have to share it and that means nobody is getting just they way they want it ever.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Great. That does not mean other people could not or would not enjoy it more with characters. WDW was not built for anyone person to enjoy just the way they want to. Folks have to share it and that means nobody is getting just they way they want it ever.

Considering the Epcot existed for many years before they started adding characters to the attractions I have to assume that lots of people enjoyed it that way.

BigTxEars

Except when Disney made those cartoons it was different. As was pointed out before while Mickey was used in Fantasia it was still true to the story of the Sorcerer's Apprentice. This Frozen ride will not be about Norway in any way. It will be about the characters and songs from the movie. But you'll probably still not see the difference here and insist on how "kids will like it so it's ok"!!!!!!

At this point no one knows exactly what the ride will be like or exactly what it will include. It's all conjecture based on what we little we have heard so far. Clearly it will be based around Frozen but the inclusion or lack of inclusion of Norway is not know at this point. We don't even know the layout of the ride, if it will be longer or shorter or the same, if it will use the same ride system currently in use etc.....lots of unknown at this point.

And I think kids will love over it overall, what's wrong with that?

BigTxEars

Considering the Epcot existed for many years before they started adding characters to the attractions I have to assume that lots of people enjoyed it that way.

What does that have to do with Epcot today and tomorrow and how it is enjoyed? Any change is bound to offend some, as is no change in many cases. When your guest totals run in the 10s of millions per year there is no right answer to make them all happy.

BigTxEars

From the creative geniuses that brought you:
  • Stitch's Great Escape
  • Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management
  • Journey into Imagination with Figment
  • Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends
  • Gran Fiesta Tour starring The Three Caballeros
  • "Updated" Polynesian Village lobby
  • Disco Yeti
  • No more Toad, Horizons, or WoL
  • and The Hat
...comes the next big step in rushed-through, low-quality, banking-on-the-brand-name overlays that destroy a WDW original with an attraction that targets the lowest common denominator: Frozen...in Norway...at EPCOT...! Because what better way to celebrate the history and culture of Norway than a fictional fairytale land based on a movie that came out 10 months ago!?! What better way to reward the fans of the real EPCOT than by once again taking something that we love and that we have paid big money to be able to see, turning it into a lame "kids" ride, and then telling us that we should continue paying big money to come see it, even though none of us wanted it in the first place!?!

The more I read, the more pumped I am to discontinue spending any money at WDW. They don't give me a product I want, so I'm not going to buy it anymore. Simple as that.

Fair enough. That is the most logical thing posted so far on this slugfest. If they do not offer you a good return on your investment with them then do not continue to do business with them. If I ever reach that point with WDW I will do the same.

Buy come on already Monster's Inc Laugh Floor is pretty awesome!

ryan1

IMO the building of Frozen at WS will do exactly like you posted, draw kids into an area they may or may not have wanted to visit before. I see it as a win for families who want to see WS together. And with the long lines that are sure to be part of the ride when it opens there will be lots of time to be together! :)

I'm sorry but this is why I said you were like talking to a brick wall earlier.

Why can't families enjoy WS right now without Frozen? What is stopping them right this second from enjoying WS as a family? How is Frozen going to enhance the other countries in WS and make them any more enjoyable than they already are?

Mike S

At this point no one knows exactly what the ride will be like or exactly what it will include. It's all conjecture based on what we little we have heard so far. Clearly it will be based around Frozen but the inclusion or lack of inclusion of Norway is not know at this point. We don't even know the layout of the ride, if it will be longer or shorter or the same, if it will use the same ride system currently in use etc.....lots of unknown at this point.

And I think kids will love over it overall, what's wrong with that?
We know because Disney has confirmed it themselves. Please read this official email sent to a member here when he emailed Disney about the Frozen ride, especially the part that's bolded and underlined.
I emailed Crofton, Staggs, and Holmes yesterday. I got a response email today from Lauren Murphy from Guest Experiences on behalf of Staggs and Crofton. Pretty standard crap. My email said I was against the decision to put Frozen in Norway and asked why should I continue to give money to a company that spends the least amount of money possible on an attraction for the highest grossing animated film and all while having record profits. I also asked why they feel Frozen is in any way related Norway and why would they put it in WS? Heres the response. Its pretty lame. And FYI, I am sending another email today.

Thank you for your email to Meg Crofton and Thomas O. Staggs.

We understand your disappointment with the closure of the Maelstrom attraction in the Norway Pavilion at Epcot. Please know that we are continually focused on providing our Guests with the best possible experiences. We regularly evaluate our offerings and make adjustments based on a variety of factors.

We are starting construction on a brand new Frozen attraction at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot where Guests will be able to immerse themselves in many of their favorite moments and music from the film. Please be assured that during the area’s transformation the Norway Pavilion will remain open. Guests will still be able to enjoy the authentic Norwegian food, architecture, and exhibits.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but please know our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our products, is very important to us.

We genuinely appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us.

Sincerely,

Lauren Murphy

Guest Experience Services

Walt Disney World Resort
Don't know about you but that sounds like a Fantasyland style ride that will just focus on the movie and not Norway.

BigTxEars

We know because Disney has confirmed it themselves. Please read this official email sent to a member here when he emailed Disney about the Frozen ride, especially the part that's bolded and underlined.

Don't know about you but that sounds like a Fantasyland style ride that will just focus on the movie and not Norway.

I am waiting to see the finished product before I judge it and it's content.

BigTxEars

I'm sorry but this is why I said you were like talking to a brick wall earlier.

Why can't families enjoy WS right now without Frozen? What is stopping them right this second from enjoying WS as a family? How is Frozen going to enhance the other countries in WS and make them any more enjoyable than they already are?

Where did I say they could not? Your running into a brick wall as you put it because your not reading what is written but what you think it says.

"IMO the building of Frozen at WS will do exactly like you posted, draw kids into an area they may or may not have wanted to visit before."

Do you think that Frozen in WS is going to draw kids who might not otherwise want to go to WS? Yes or no? I think it will and I think that is a good thing for the families involved.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Where did I say they could not? Your running into a brick wall as you put it because your not reading what is written but what you think it says.

"IMO the building of Frozen at WS will do exactly like you posted, draw kids into an area they may or may not have wanted to visit before."

Do you think that Frozen in WS is going to draw kids who might not otherwise want to go to WS? Yes or no? I think it will and I think that is a good thing for the families involved.

There are a lot of things that could be done in Epcot that would draw more kids, that doesn't mean they should do them. I bet you would get a lot more kids in the Canada pavilion if you replaced Le Cellier with a Mc Donalds.

BigTxEars

If Disney gave us more reasons recently to be glass half full people, then more of us probably would be.

It's there if you look IMO. Lots of good things going on at WDW, new thing being built, refurbs going on, new tech making things more immersive. I think he future is bright indeed as a guest.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's there if you look IMO. Lots of good things going on at WDW, new thing being built, refurbs going on, new tech making things more immersive. I think he future is bright indeed as a guest.

There also lots of things being closed, and corners being cut. And the things that are getting done are taking to long and are not as ambitious and ground breaking as we have come to expect from Disney.

ryan1

Yes it will. Frozen would draw kids ANYWHERE. But I asked you what is keeping families from visiting WS now without Frozen there since you said Frozen taking over would be a win for families wanting to see WS together.

Do you think Frozen and the fictional land it takes place in fits into WS? Yes or No?

It does not and that is why it is pointless trying to explain why this is bad for WS to a brick wall. Which is fine that you feel that way.

BigTxEars

There are a lot of things that could be done in Epcot that would draw more kids, that doesn't mean they should do them. I bet you would get a lot more kids in the Canada pavilion if you replaced Le Cellier with a Mc Donalds.

The placement of Frozen in WS does not equate to placing a McDonalds in WS IMO. It's a Disney license thru and thru and fits at a Disney theme park. I don't think nearly as many kids would say "let's go to WS so we can get a happy meal as will say let's go to ride Frozen".....

But moose nuggets with maple dipping sauce might be a big draw :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom