Disney College Program- Days Off

PegasaurusRex

Original Poster
Hello,
I applied for the Disney College Program Fall Advantage which means I'll be working in Florida from May thru December. Obviously thats a very long time to be away from home and I was wondering if, as a Character (hopefully what I'll be working as) I'd be able to go home at all. It won't change my decision to go, I'm super excited! But, I'd be nice to go home.

DisneyJoe

Hello,
I applied for the Disney College Program Fall Advantage which means I'll be working in Florida from May thru December. Obviously thats a very long time to be away from home and I was wondering if, as a Character (hopefully what I'll be working as) I'd be able to go home at all. It won't change my decision to go, I'm super excited! But, I'd be nice to go home.

My son is there now working at Pecos Bill. He started Jan 25 and isn't done until June 1. He was told he needed to give them 7 day a week availability during that time and could not schedule any time away.

He has been getting Monday and Tuesday off each week, but that could change at a moment's notice.

wilkeliza

Hello,

You can ask for specific days off but I don't know if you would be able to get a lot of time off. Depending on where you live you might be able to go home for a day or two but not like as long as say spring break or winter vacation. You might be able to ask for say a Sat., Sun, Mon, Tues off back to back since those would be different pay periods (unless disney is a Sat to Sunday or Sunday to Saturday company) but I wouldn't count on it. Also remember any time you ask off you won't get paid for so you would have to pay your housing dues out of your own pocket.

Also be in mind they may offer you the just the Fall program which would be August through January. I applied for all 3 programs (DL fall, WDW fall, and WDW fall advanced) and got WDW fall.

coilback

You can request time off (I took some time off when some friends of mine came into town), but it's like any other job, they don't want you taking a lot of time all at once off (especially in CP) and really, I would say they discourage leaving for an extended time. The time won't seem as long as you think and it'll be over way before you want it to be.

DisneyJoe

Really? That's wrong info. CPs can definitely request time off

He couldn't go anywhere though - he was told to have 7 day a week availability as his schedule could change at any moment.

In other words, I got the impression from my son that they strongly discouraged them taking time off during the program to go on a cruise or to go home to visit family.

mickeysshoes

My DD leaves in less than 30 days to start her CP.(she will be in receration) We are hoping she will be able to come home for 2 days for her sisters graduation. Taking the least amount of time away as possible. From what I reading she should be able to do this with prior approval???

wilkeliza

My DD leaves in less than 30 days to start her CP.(she will be in receration) We are hoping she will be able to come home for 2 days for her sisters graduation. Taking the least amount of time away as possible. From what I reading she should be able to do this with prior approval???

2 days isn't that big of a deal. You should get 2 days off each week anyways so they would just try and give her those two days off. She should tell them that as soon as she gets there and checks in and hands in her new hire paper work.

Look the CP knows that other things go on in people lives during college like family weddings or graduations. No company would get the growing number of applications like Disney College Program does if they didn't have at least some heart.

Requested time off is not always a guarantee but I'm sure if you family member was trying to go home for something important they could swing for 2 days off.

When they said that CP kids can't ask off they probably meant they don't get paid time off so they can't ask for that. You are encouraged to tell them at hiring time if there are any dates you can't work due to prearranged trips or family events.

coilback

I think someone I knew had a similar situation, so as long as you give them enough notice, there shouldn't be an issue (as I said, I took a few days off - I think about 3 when some friends came into town and wanted to use my Main Gate). It's extended time like 7 days or so. After all, it's not like you will be there that long to begin with.

Journey_On

You can request time off during your CP. It is best to do it in advance as soon as you know what days you'd like off.

Giving away your shift(s) is another option. There are people wanting to pick up overtime or seasonal CMs (like me) wanting to pick up hours. :)

coilback

You can request time off during your CP. It is best to do it in advance as soon as you know what days you'd like off.

Giving away your shift(s) is another option. There are people wanting to pick up overtime or seasonal CMs (like me) wanting to pick up hours. :)

Giving shifts away are always subject to approval too, they don't always allow it, depending on everyone else's hours

joanna71985

Giving shifts away are always subject to approval too, they don't always allow it, depending on everyone else's hours

Usually it's pretty easy to give shifts away. There are very few reasons why a switch would be denied (one being if it puts one person into OT).

joanna71985

Heh, not at my locations! There were a TON of seasonal/PT people looking for shifts (so it wasn't a problem giving a shift away).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom