Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

wooly-bully

How about “folks”? I personally would never use it in normal usage (sounds dated) but when used to address a crowd of people who aren’t your friends, I probably wouldn’t even notice.

It’s funny I haven’t seen it mentioned here but I’m just jumping in and haven’t read all the replies.

“Friends” seems awkward to me, hearing it all the time at my last recent visit. Another one that gets me is “I appreciate you.” What is the response, “I appreciate you too”? Heard that a bunch too.

Goofyernmost

How about “folks”? I personally would never use it in normal usage (sounds dated) but when used to address a crowd of people who aren’t your friends, I probably wouldn’t even notice.

It’s funny I haven’t seen it mentioned here but I’m just jumping in and haven’t read all the replies.

“Friends” seems awkward to me, hearing it all the time at my last recent visit. Another one that gets me is “I appreciate you.” What is the response, “I appreciate you too”? Heard that a bunch too.
Since I'm old and very, very cynical, to begin with, I'm pretty sure my response would be "Yeah, that and $7.00 might get me a cup of 'maybe it's coffee' at Starbucks"

Folks is a perfectly good salutation for any situation. It's simple, it isn't, in your face, personal, yet does have a friendly welcoming sound, so I guess you're right, in this country why would anyone want to feel welcome and human. If they are going to insist on using the word friend it has to be used properly to not sound illiterate and only to individuals and than a simple addition of the word MY in front of it makes it grammatically correct and not feel like nails across a chalkboard. I simple, Welcome my friend or excuse me my friend but for your safety we need you to stay behind the rope. Ending eventually in "HEY, AFTER ASKING YOU POLITELY 17 TIMES TO NOT CUT THE LINE, YOU, MY FRIEND, ARE GOING TO BE SPOKEN TO BY ANOTHER OF MY FRIENDS THAT HAS A BADGE. HAVE A MAGICAL DAY, MY FRIEND!

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Maybe it is my advanced age, but I think that a new person trying to catch up, sees a thread that they have an interest in and comments or asks a question. Not everyone has the time required to go through every single post to see if their related question has already been mentioned. This isn't a gender question anyway, it is whether or not the directed usage is wrong to be used regardless of gender, male, female or any new creation. It is a social topic of discussion. All things are worthy of discussion are either political or social if they involve humans otherwise we are talking about dust particles or other accumulations of atoms. A topic only becomes Necro when the situation has been resolved and to be honest how it ever had a need to exist to begin with is an insult to intelligence, in my opinion. Nothing is ever over until the morbidly obese Sparano sings!

Last edited by a moderator:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Fine, I'll be mean to old timers: You shouldn't be encouraging thread bumping. Necro posting is against the ToS. I could have just anonymously reported the post, instead I welcomed the new user and guided them. I consider that nice.

Not to mention we have a new user whose first post is diving into a thread of gender politics and potentially reigniting the back-and-forth that went on way too long to be useful. Hopefully that's not a bad sign.
Is 3 months really necro posting. Katiebug will be back and that's been gone longer.

bjlc57

oh Good you are my friend. please borrow my $200 to pay for my Genie + for the next few days.. I will pay you back when i get home.. I promise..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom