Disney Christmas Parade! Whats your take?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
What's an EGOT?

A performer who's won at least one Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and a Tony in a competitive category- awards covering all the major areas of entertainment. She won her Oscar for Ghost, an Emmy for her television special about actress Hattie McDaniel (and picked a second one for co-hosting The View), a Tony for producing the 2002 Best Musical award winner, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and a Grammy for one of her comedy albums.

Only 11 people have won the EGOT in competitive categories, five of whom are actors (Audrey Hepburn, John Gielgud, Helen Hayes, Rita Moreno, and Goldberg). The others are composers (Richard Rogers, Jonathan Tunick, and Marvin Hamlisch), directors and writers (Mel Brooks and Mike Nichols), and a producer (Scott Rudin).

Liza Minnelli and Barbra Streisand each have all 4, but one of theirs was a special award in a non-competitive category.

The remarkably talented Neil Patrick Harris, at this point in his career, only has Emmys (which he's received for hosting the Tony Awards).

Sorry for going off on that tangent!!! I'm sure that's way more about the EGOT than you ever cared to know!

HouCuseChickie

I'm OK with NPH, but I don't really care for the whole harder sell ad campaign style they've reduced the whole thing to at this point. It's sad to me- especially after seeing the previous posts with parades of the past. I knew there had been a downward spiral- at least for my personal preferences - but it really made it clear how much the whole thing has declined. Even the kids wondered why they didn't keep showing parade stuff. We all know there are so many neat and cool things at the parks...I guess I'd just rather see them use a softer sell approach by just showing you all of the pretty stuff and showing more genuine Disney holiday joy vs. boldly jamming "book your next Disney vacay" down your throat the whole time. DH and I turned to each other at some point and said we won't be bothering turning it on next year.

Magenta Panther

A performer who's won at least one Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and a Tony in a competitive category- awards covering all the major areas of entertainment. She won her Oscar for Ghost, an Emmy for her television special about actress Hattie McDaniel (and picked a second one for co-hosting The View), a Tony for producing the 2002 Best Musical award winner, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and a Grammy for one of her comedy albums.

Only 11 people have won the EGOT in competitive categories, five of whom are actors (Audrey Hepburn, John Gielgud, Helen Hayes, Rita Moreno, and Goldberg). The others are composers (Richard Rogers, Jonathan Tunick, and Marvin Hamlisch), directors and writers (Mel Brooks and Mike Nichols), and a producer (Scott Rudin).

Liza Minnelli and Barbra Streisand each have all 4, but one of theirs was a special award in a non-competitive category.

The remarkably talented Neil Patrick Harris, at this point in his career, only has Emmys (which he's received for hosting the Tony Awards).

Sorry for going off on that tangent!!! I'm sure that's way more about the EGOT than you ever cared to know!

Not at all, thanks for the info! :)

deix15x8

Look at the comparison and tell me which one looks more enjoyable to watch..
1987's parade

VS.

2012's Parade..

Watched the whole 1987 video (2 years before I was born), and was surprised to see the castle float existed all the way back then. No wonder everyone hates seeing it in the parades today, that thing is old! The parade felt equally awkward with the hosts IMO though. The live aspect was nicer, but wouldn't save us from the hosts. The biggest change to me seemed to be how much hope and excitement existed around Disney World in 1987. They had Typhoon Lagoon, Downtown Disney, MGM Studios, new countries in Epcot, and the Grand Floridian all under construction at once. This year we have Disney Springs (never mentioned) and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. They didn't mention Avatar land but that's not even under construction yet so their would be nothing to show. From 1 park, 2 mini parks (Typhoon Lagoon and Downtown), a Deluxe resort, and a new park area to just a single new ride seems sad and rather pathetic.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Even the kids wondered why they didn't keep showing parade stuff.
The old parades worked in the "sales" stuff more organically which I think catered to kids and adults alike. They have really gone overboard the last few years. imo
DH and I turned to each other at some point and said we won't be bothering turning it on next year.
My wife was asking me to turn it within 20 minutes. By the time Demi Lovato performed I think she was about to leave me. She loves Disney, just wasnt feeling the parade. Nick Cannon didnt help either

WDWDad13

Nick Cannon is so annoying and always tries to mention Mariah Carry as his wife. He always looks like he is trying to pass a kidney stone while he's talking too lol

I understand it being a 2 hour Disney commercial but the actual parade viewing is too limited and they only spend a few seconds on each float. Not good

ptaylor

Premium Member
Samantha Brown has sold her soul to Disney and can no longer be taken seriously as an unbiased "travel expert". I used to enjoy her shows, but now she reminds me of an infomercial host on the travel channel at 2AM.

You are right. She really serves no purpose anymore as she is just following a Disney script.

prberk

there is a teleprompter mishap a few minutes in as well. NPH pauses for a few seconds in the middle of a sentence. lol

Sad part is, I thought that was part of the reason to pre-record it: so that mistakes can be fixed.

Anyway, it used to be live (pre-1997), and we really enjoyed it. There was a tangible difference. It felt more like the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. (Yes, there are commercial elements on that, too, but it is clearly live and much more kinetic.)

I really would lke to have a parade again. And live is the only way to do it.

habuma

About how much was actual parade if you condensed it down? Less than 10 min?

Exactly. It wasn't a parade. It was infotainment. I enjoy watching it to get a Disney fix and to see the places I wish I could be. But there was very little parade and the entertainment was meh.

Didn't like the shot taken at Horace. No wonder we never see some of those characters

My entire family let out a disgusted "Huh!" when that shot was taken at Horace. I was surprised the comment made it into the televised footage, given that NPH basically dissed a classic Disney character. Disney shouldn't have allowed that comment to air.

I have nothing against NPH, but his performance was off...especially given that it wasn't live. The jokes were okay (not great, but okay), but his timing and delivery was off. The random pauses were very awkward. The *only* reason I can come up with as to why those were what aired is because the producers wanted to introduce some imperfections to fool the audience into thinking that it is really a live airing and not pre-taped.

I can appreciate that NPH is a true Disney fan and that some think he's a good host because of that. But that doesn't necessarily mean he is qualified to host the parade (not to mention that a true Disney fan would know who Horace Horsecollar is). There are plenty of people on this board who would qualify to host if that was what is required. (Sending in my request to host next year's parade now...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom