Disney chief trumpets MyMagic+, Avatar Land

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And, again, the economy is still recovering. Once things have improved more, the price hikes might not seem so steep.

On what planet is the economy recovering pray tell, we have less people participating in the work force than in the great depression, If the economy ever recovers in spite of the evil clowns in DC we will look back on these days when we only had single digit percentage price increases.

Dog Ate Mouse

I hope this is not so, but I feel Disney has lost it's drive and creativity. Why Avatar land. Most Disneys fans would love to see a Star Wars land instead. I love WDW and always will. But see all the creativity happening currently at another park down the road that is being lead by an Ex Disney executive Steve Burke. It's not about competing, it's about Disney imagination and creativity that they use to do so well. I think it's time to get a CEO that gets back to the basics of what Diseny is all about. It's time that Disney gets going on being Inovative, creative again and using their imagination. It's time for a change in CEO. Disney needs to really read the Nike add and just Do IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JimboJones123

I cringe every time I hear or read Igers words. The guy is so boring and impo doesn't give a $hit about Florida. If he really thinks that Avatar land will create substantial growth then it shows how clueless he is about Orlando and it's theme parks.
Hey, that's worse than the post I got the WDWMagic Nastygram about a few weeks ago.

JimboJones123

Do you know what is comparable to fifty thousand people running around a theme park, all wanting to use the same bathrooms, see the same shows and eat and drink at the same f&b stand at the same time?

It's fifty thousand people at a pop festival doing the same thing. And while we here are engaging in massive self-flagellation, the world has moved on. In the real world, Magic Wrist Bands, no-line food stalls, online reservations of shows, instant connection with social media, have become the standard at festivals already. Bless WDW for being the first theme park resort to embrace these awesome new technologies too!

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/feat...chip-wristbands-will-change-festivals-forever

Let UNI build Orlando's theme park rides number 617, 618 and 619. Been there, done that. Queue -> ride -> gift shop. Yawn.

I rather be wow'ed again by amazing tech. I want my theme park experience devoid of last century's inconveniences such as lines and having to sit on a curb or stadium for two hours just to be able to watch a show or fireworks. I want the Walt back in Walt Disney World, the Spirit of EPCOT, that is, a spirit of innovation and daring and grand experiments.
If you are going to have a lineless experience, you need more than 6 rides in your parks. Otherwise a half day park turns into a quarter day park.

twebber55

I would say 50% want it dead. 25% are wait and see. 25% are excited.

The number that could easily be higher is the first group.
when TPI did a survey about 75% either wanted it or were in lets look at it first mode...25% were against so theres that:)...surely you re not suggesting the movie wasnt huge and wouldnt have an audience?

i would think most people will at least wait and see...i mean its hard to not like something before its ever created

Disneyhead'71

Who here thinks TDO is going to "swing for the fences" with this "Avatarland" project? Or Star Wars? Or any project as long as the existing corporate culture remains in tact?

CDavid

I bet the second two numbers are higher, it's just that the first group is much more vocal.

Numbers depend a great deal on what specific group of people make up your sample (HUGE difference between someone taking an online poll and an actual scientific survey). WDWmagic members are likely more critical (for very good reason) and far more in touch with the stale condition of the Orlando parks, while at the other extreme some of Avatar Land's supporters are in favor mostly because they just want something - anything - towards an expanded Animal Kingdom. To which I would point out the lesson of Dinorama, and that sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something half-baked (Imagination, Tiki Room new management, etc.).

An actual survey of the general population would reveal at least some "What's Avatar?" responses, and probably lukewarm support (my speculation), as the movie has begun to fade from public consciousness.

RSoxNo1

There are certainly fans of the Avatar "franchise", however if they want this land to drive attendance at DAK, the number of diehard fans is insufficient.

The land needs to be able exist and amaze independent of the intellectual property. Card Land and Harry Potter both succeed in that, and they have the benefit of a large fan base. Disney can't get this wrong.

If this is anchored by Mission: SPACE instead of Radiator Springs Racers it will fail.

doctornick

An actual survey of the general population would reveal at least some "What's Avatar?" responses, and probably lukewarm support (my speculation), as the movie has begun to fade from public consciousness.

I think the general population of WDW guests would be happy to get new rides regardless of the IP. I don't many of them would care one way or the other about new stuff being tied to Avatar (either being excited about it or feeling that Avatar is a poor choice for IP).

To put it a different way, many people here would absolutely love to see Beastly Kingdomme built instead of Avatar (I'm among them). However, I think if you asked most WDW guests whether they'd prefer a land based on dragons and unicorns or one based on Avatar, they would ask "which one would have the cooler rides?" I don't think that most people get bogged down on the IP used or how well it fits thematic unless it's something that they are specifically a fan of (e.g. Harry Potter, Star Wars).

Last edited:

doctornick

The land needs to be able exist and amaze independent of the intellectual property. Card Land and Harry Potter both succeed in that, and they have the benefit of a large fan base. Disney can't get this wrong.

I totally agree. For the Avatar expansion to be successful, it needs to be enjoyable for someone who has limited to no experience with Avatar. Any rides and any visuals have to engaging and breathtaking in their own right.

Now, the good news is that Avatar does provide a good template for a well done land. And, though it's easy to criticize many aspect of it, the FLE does indicate that TDO will spend money (perhaps foolishly) on the types of visual details that I think will be key to making Pandora "work" as a land. My main concern and questions remain whether TDO will develop and built rides that are top of the line for Pandora -- and, like many, I am skeptical of that. I'm hoping that Cameron's involvement will mean that the results are better than what the non-creatives at TDO would come up with on their own.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom