Disney chief trumpets MyMagic+, Avatar Land

The Empress Lilly

Do you know what is comparable to fifty thousand people running around a theme park, all wanting to use the same bathrooms, see the same shows and eat and drink at the same f&b stand at the same time?

It's fifty thousand people at a pop festival doing the same thing. And while we here are engaging in massive self-flagellation, the world has moved on. In the real world, Magic Wrist Bands, no-line food stalls, online reservations of shows, instant connection with social media, have become the standard at festivals already. Bless WDW for being the first theme park resort to embrace these awesome new technologies too!

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/feat...chip-wristbands-will-change-festivals-forever

Let UNI build Orlando's theme park rides number 617, 618 and 619. Been there, done that. Queue -> ride -> gift shop. Yawn.

I rather be wow'ed again by amazing tech. I want my theme park experience devoid of last century's inconveniences such as lines and having to sit on a curb or stadium for two hours just to be able to watch a show or fireworks. I want the Walt back in Walt Disney World, the Spirit of EPCOT, that is, a spirit of innovation and daring and grand experiments.

The Empress Lilly

If only...

Mr.ToadinHell.JPG

HMF

-

It would be nice if for once...in a while at least...we would have someone in power who would focus more on improving and maintaining what we already have, instead of trying to *add more growth*.

:hungover:
The constant growth BS that Wall Street preaches is just unrealistic and un-sustainable. The Bigger something gets it is inevitable that it will hurt the big picture because there are simply too many elements and interests involved and it will collapse eventually.

Matt_Black

Do you know what is comparable to fifty thousand people running around a theme park, all wanting to use the same bathrooms, see the same shows and eat and drink at the same f&b stand at the same time?

It's fifty thousand people at a pop festival doing the same thing. And while we here are engaging in massive self-flagellation, the world has moved on. In the real world, Magic Wrist Bands, no-line food stalls, online reservations of shows, instant connection with social media, have become the standard at festivals already. Bless WDW for being the first theme park resort to embrace these awesome new technologies too!

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/feat...chip-wristbands-will-change-festivals-forever

Let UNI build Orlando's theme park rides number 617, 618 and 619. Been there, done that. Queue -> ride -> gift shop. Yawn.

I rather be wow'ed again by amazing tech. I want my theme park experience devoid of last century's inconveniences such as lines and having to sit on a curb or stadium for two hours just to be able to watch a show or fireworks. I want the Walt back in Walt Disney World, the Spirit of EPCOT, that is, a spirit of innovation and daring and grand experiments.

That's a very good attitude to have. While I don't mind a wait in line now and then, as that sometimes leads to interesting chats with other guests, they are trying to bring things in the 21st century. "Keep moving forward", as Walt said. I can certainly see why some folks would like new attractions on a regular, frequent and consistent basis, there are many aspects that need to be focused on.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They're probably waiting to see how the sequel does before anything concrete begins

I doubt that. Avatar 2 is currently scheduled for December 2016, and knowing Cameron that date could slip further. I don't see them waiting another 3 years before starting construction especially since they have already started the move of FotLK to make room for the expansion.

menamechris

I doubt that. Avatar 2 is currently scheduled for December 2016, and knowing Cameron that date could slip further. I don't see them waiting another 3 years before starting construction especially since they have already started the move of FotLK to make room for the expansion.

Honestly, I can totally see them waiting....and waiting...and waiting. The construction in Downtown Disney, along with whatever changes/expansion is coming to DHS, will be a great excuse to push the project into the next decade or cancel it all together.

sod4

Honestly, I can totally see them waiting....and waiting...and waiting. The construction in Downtown Disney, along with whatever changes/expansion is coming to DHS, will be a great excuse to push the project into the next decade or cancel it all together.

I feel the same way. Moving FotLK doesn't lock them into Avatar. If the next film tanks they can move forward with a different plan for that area or just scrap development all together.

Matt_Black

I feel the same way. Moving FotLK doesn't lock them into Avatar. If the next film tanks they can move forward with a different plan for that area or just scrap development all together.

If they do scrap Avatar Land, I think a coaster based on Disney's Gargoyles would both be totally awesome and be in keeping with the oft-forgotten mythological animal aspect of the DAK mission statement if they want to use that area for something else.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But if they were planning to wait until the next film comes out why bother to move FotLK so early? Disney never spends money when they don't absolutely have to.

menamechris

But if they were planning to wait until the next film comes out why bother to move FotLK so early? Disney never spends money when they don't absolutely have to.

A few thoughts....1) It gives the illusion of "something's happening" 2) An excuse to build a permanent, enclosed home for FotLK (which will rate well with guests), 3) One hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Moving FotLK makes sense from a thematic standpoint, It is after all an African fable and should be located in Africa so moving it to Harambe makes sense.

Of course nothing else that Beautiful Bob said makes any sense at alll

twebber55

well cars 2 wasnt very good and that land turned out pretty good and has been popular

twebber55

agree
FOTLK has been in the same spot for years they re moving it for a reason and thats avatar...they just didnt decide it doesnt fit thematically it needs to go to africa

danlb_2000

Premium Member
None of the reasons given really justify the cost of a move. FotLK is very popular where it is, no reason to fool with that unless there is a really good reason. I bet people could come up with a dozen other things that would cost less then the FotLK move, would have a bigger guest impact, but that Disney still isn't doing. I can't see any other reason to move FotLK unless their were imminent plans to use that land for something.

menamechris

None of the reasons given really justify the cost of a move. FotLK is very popular where it is, no reason to fool with that unless there is a really good reason. I bet people could come up with a dozen other things that would cost less then the FotLK move, would have a bigger guest impact, but that Disney still isn't doing. I can't see any other reason to move FotLK unless their were imminent plans to use that land for something.

Not to say the PLAN isn't to move Avatar there, but there is cost savings regardless, by closing off the "camp area" which was really only used for meet and greets and the show. By reducing the park's footprint, there are significant savings in maintenance, upkeep, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom