Disney chief trumpets MyMagic+, Avatar Land

alphac2005

The constant growth BS that Wall Street preaches is just unrealistic and un-sustainable. The Bigger something gets it is inevitable that it will hurt the big picture because there are simply too many elements and interests involved and it will collapse eventually.

In well developed, advanced societies, the reality is that there is only so much growth that you can have. In developing countries, an annual basis of 8%+ is completely understandable (e.g. China). Only when (sigh, if ever again) the markets accept the reality of where the United States in its stage of development, then we will have realistic growth targets. The growth targets are so out-of-whack that they have completely turned our economy and expectations upside down.

Bigger isn't better. I've always found irony in the fact that many that scream about government being too big and ineffective (not debating the merits here, just using as an example) are the same type that are capitalists at any cost and they constantly seek to make companies, larger and larger. Any entity, whether government or corporation, when they are too big, they are unmanageable and in-turn that actually hurts fiscal performances of these entities.

Soarin' Over Pgh

well not everyone...but i know what side you re on

T, I really don't want to pick sides. I would love for Avatarland to be built and absolutely WOW all of us. It would be amazing if Disney took an IP that is so severely lacking in ...in everything! Memorable characters, scenes, plots... and turn it into an amazing, real life land.

Unfortunately, that's just the problem. I don't see this IP having strong enough legs for it to hold up the body. It has a beautiful atmosphere, sure, but what exactly does the average person remember of it? Especially years later. Sequels on the way or not, it's a very tough sell.

I don't want "sides". I want realism, I want a land in a park that desperately NEEDS it to WOW the audiences and keep people coming back. Or, make people come in the first place. I just don't think this is it.

Disney could do so much better without outsourcing for material to draw in the masses. They have so much of their OWN material that they are choosing to ignore entirely.

luv

Substantial growth of what, exactly?

I think this Avatarland is a mistake, but if they're hell-bent on moving forward with it, which it seems they are, I hope it is a success. Judging by the FLE, I doubt it. But I hope so. Really and truly. And I will visit it without intending to hate it.

The billion dollar wristbands, too. I hope people enjoy them and that they make billions of dollars for Disney. I also hope I never have to wear one!

Pixie VaVoom

If only...

Mr.ToadinHell.JPG

CaptainJackNO

Substantial growth of what, exactly?

I think this Avatarland is a mistake, but if they're hell-bent on moving forward with it, which it seems they are, I hope it is a success. Judging by the FLE, I doubt it. But I hope so. Really and truly. And I will visit it without intending to hate it.

The billion dollar wristbands, too. I hope people enjoy them and that they make billions of dollars for Disney. I also hope I never have to wear one!

I don't get the complsints about FLE. I think it is great, and will be even better once snow white opens. I think uswa is a typical disney dark ride, storytime with belle has some pretty cool effects and guves my daughter the chance to spend time with belle, and be our guest restaurant is an amazing experience for lunch and/or dinner. Snow white will just top it off. The additional spinner at dumbo and the facelift on goofy's bsrnstormer really dressed up the area. My family likes it. Is it everest or soarin? No. But it is an excellent addition to fl. I think some foljs here, not all, will always complain. They loved Eisner, then hated Eisner. They loved Iger, then hated Iger. I still love wdw, and, I believe its on the upswing. Does DHS need help? Absolutely. Not even a whole day park in my opinion. Does AK lack attractions? Yeah. But, I still love wdw and spend most of my time at MK and Epcot. Would I pay full day admission for AK or DHS? No. But, I buy myw passes and park hop.

Disneyhead'71

I don't get the complsints about FLE. I think it is great, and will be even better once snow white opens. I think uswa is a typical disney dark ride, storytime with belle has some pretty cool effects and guves my daughter the chance to spend time with belle, and be our guest restaurant is an amazing experience for lunch and/or dinner. Snow white will just top it off. The additional spinner at dumbo and the facelift on goofy's bsrnstormer really dressed up the area. My family likes it. Is it everest or soarin? No. But it is an excellent addition to fl. I think some foljs here, not all, will always complain. They loved Eisner, then hated Eisner. They loved Iger, then hated Iger. I still love wdw, and, I believe its on the upswing. Does DHS need help? Absolutely. Not even a whole day park in my opinion. Does AK lack attractions? Yeah. But, I still love wdw and spend most of my time at MK and Epcot. Would I pay full day admission for AK or DHS? No. But, I buy myw passes and park hop.
So, you pay extra money and make excuses so DHS and DAK don't chap your a**. You must REALLY love throwing money at a company that clearly doesn't care what kind of product they are serving up to the public. I mean, DHS is only 24 years old. How can we possible expect it to have more than 6 rides? Just give them some time. Geez. People are so impatient.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Bless WDW for being the first theme park resort to embrace these awesome new technologies too!

I rather be wow'ed again by amazing tech. .
I applaud them for the new tech as well. The idea behind the bands is cool. Using it as a park admission/room/key/credit card all in one is awesome. If it ended there that would be ok, but they are taking it way past that. (honestly not trying to start that debate though)

Wont the "wow" factor kind of wear off after a day or two? On our visit just a few weeks ago I saw many people wearing the bands and asked them how they liked using it. Almost everybody said, "its cool that I can charge stuff without pulling out my wallet". Thats it. Nothing about all the other abilities the band had. Dont get me wrong, nobody complained and said they didnt like it. They only liked that you could charge stuff with a swipe. Whether that is proof that any "wow" factor wears off quickly is up for debate but i asked women, men, younger folks, and older folks to get a good cross section. All the same answers. Nonetheless, its all up to each individual. I truly hope you love your magic band when u visit, Lilly.

wdwfan4ver

I left WDW earlier this money and from my view the new Fantasy land is a waste. If you are not into meet and greets, the new additions opened so far is a waste. What I meant by that isn't the Storybook Circus land part of the dueling Dumbos since Dumbo did need to be address.

I am not a thrill junkie and the fact is I'll be cutting down on my coaster rides even more because of my body can't handle them if they in a space Mountain or higher range.

khale1970

So, you pay extra money and make excuses so DHS and DAK don't chap your a**. You must REALLY love throwing money at a company that clearly doesn't care what kind of product they are serving up to the public. I mean, DHS is only 24 years old. How can we possible expect it to have more than 6 rides? Just give them some time. Geez. People are so impatient.

For someone who loved WDW, now only goes to UNI, and no longer gives WDW a thought, you spend a lot of time taking a dump on those who do enjoy spending time at WDW and, for whatever reason, find it to be a good use of their financial resources. You've become the UNI fanboi version of JT!

Captain Neo

I love how he actually calls it "Avatar Land" like the fans do and not one of those absurd names like "Expedition Everest:Legend to the Forbidden Mountain" that imagineers under Eisner were doing in those last few years.

Disneyhead'71

For someone who loved WDW, now only goes to UNI, and no longer gives WDW a thought, you spend a lot of time taking a dump on those who do enjoy spending time at WDW and, for whatever reason, find it to be a good use of their financial resources. You've become the UNI fanboi version of JT!
Sorry, you're right. And that post was unnecessarily harsh. I shouldn't post when I'm not feeling well. I tend to get grumpy.
While I disagree that the FLE is "great", I shouldn't get so pointed.

I truly do wish that Avatar Land will be a huge success, draw many visitors to DAK and WDW, and be an immersive land that blows me away. Realistically, I think the chances of that are less than 5%.

They're using an IP that I can't remember anything about the plot of the movie, none of the characters, nothing...only that it takes place on Pandora. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Making Pandora a completely immersive land is just about the only way I can imagine them making this successful. Have you seen Pandora? There is soooo much detail there that if done correctly it would absolutely blow away the aesthetics at WWOHP. Unfortunately, I believe the land would have to be in a building to successfully recreate Pandora (something I'm sure they won't do). Something as simple as a sunny day or your daily FL thunderstorm could ruin the Pandora atmosphere if it took place outdoors. Also, the sky color ranges from blue to deep purple and you can see space from Pandora. If they can make that happen outdoors, I will be floored.

Basically, I'm trying to say that the only way I see Avatar Land being a success is if they can make you feel like you are in the same Pandora you saw in the movie. They need to wow people with the immersiveness of the land or they'll surely fail.

Just my 2 cents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom