Rumor Disney Characters Being Added to IASW

JayKZ

I've also brought up fixing the ceiling issue which is also irrelevant to the decision to add characters or not (except it isn't in that while you are refurbing one thing, here's your change to refurb another). However, you failed to school me how bringing up the ceiling is irrelevant. So, you got your priorities it seems.
CONFIRMED! Ceiling in IaSW to be updated with fiber optic "starfield". Constellations over each nation to depict beloved Disney characters in culturally inappropriate settings.

OG Runner

CONFIRMED! Ceiling in IaSW to be updated with fiber optic "starfield". Constellations over each nation to depict beloved Disney characters in culturally inappropriate settings.

"culturally inappropriate settings"? Even though, many of the characters are now considered Disney IPs, I believe they actually
take time to place the characters in the countries appropriate to their stories, based on the original source material. It just sounds
like some of the comments being made now are just trolling for more of argument.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"culturally inappropriate settings"? Even though, many of the characters are now considered Disney IPs, I believe they actually
take time to place the characters in the countries appropriate to their stories, based on the original source material. It just sounds
like some of the comments being made now are just trolling for more of argument.

It was a joke referencing my assertion of certain cultural blindspots in IaSW. For example, the Europe room is packed with a whole bunch of human dolls and representations of a bunch of cultures with just a bunch of mountain goats. The Africa room has Egypt and two small jungle tableaus and the rest is filled with a bunch of animals. Not exactly a showcase of all the African cultures in the manner of the European ones. Cf. Africa Outpost in Epcot.

Disney does make up for it overall with representing Africa in DAK, though.

And don't get me started into how Ireland has a bunch of Leprechauns but the other countries don't have their mythical creatures featured as if obsession over Leprechauns has been a hallmark of daily Irish culture and not the obscenely bastardized view of Ireland as scene through drunken American St. Patty's Day benders. Maybe the Magic Kingdom is indeed an homage to mid-Century American culture. It's a small worldview after all.

At least we can say the Darby O'Gill IP is represented already.

The Africa room should get a Wakanda.

Some of this post was tongue-in-cheek. It will be an exercise for the gentle reader to discern which parts.

JayKZ

It was a joke referencing my assertion of certain cultural blindspots in IaSW. For example, the Europe room is packed with a whole bunch of human dolls and representations of a bunch of cultures with just a bunch of mountain goats. The Africa room has Egypt and two small jungle tableaus and the rest is filled with a bunch of animals. Not exactly a showcase of all the African cultures in the manner of the European ones. Cf. Africa Outpost in Epcot.

Disney does make up for it overall with representing Africa in DAK, though.

And don't get me started into how Ireland has a bunch of Leprechauns but the other countries don't have their mythical creatures featured as if obsession over Leprechauns has been a hallmark of daily Irish culture and not the obscenely bastardized view of Ireland as scene through drunken American St. Patty's Day benders. Maybe the Magic Kingdom is indeed an homage to mid-Century American culture. It's a small worldview after all.

At least we can say the Darby O'Gill IP is represented already.

The Africa room should get a Wakanda.

Some of this post was tongue-in-cheek. It will be an exercise for the gentle reader to discern which parts.
You mean it's NOT CONFIRMED? <sniff!> But seriously, that ceiling...

Kman101

This is fine I guess... but if WDW's 50th celebration turns into 'We're giving you the same stuff that various other parks have had for a while', then we're shaping up for a massive disappointment.

But it was always kind of known we'd get a lot of the 'already done' effects as part of the '50th for 50'. It is disappointing.

OG Runner

But it was always kind of known we'd get a lot of the 'already done' effects as part of the '50th for 50'. It is disappointing.

Sorry, I couldn't find the original post, but between now and the 50th, Disney is supposed to open the Guardians coaster, the
Tron coaster, the Ratatouille ride and the Mickey & Minnie ride at DHS, not to mention Galaxy's Edge. I know they have these
rides in other Disney locations, in other countries, but they are all new to Florida. (for those of us that don't go to France or
Tokyo.)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Yeah, you just can't get 50 rather significant projects to all complete just days before an anniversary date all the while starving the parks from anything new opening for three years (even though there have been past droughts).

ToTBellHop

Folks act like IASW was meant to be a social studies lesson. Let’s not give the ride too much credit. It’s a bunch of toys loosely linked to real areas of the world. Adding dolls of recognizable characters from stories in the same areas is not a huge jump.

Call me when they propose an Olaf AA in the Tower of Terror library.

Animaniac93-98

They want to add Peter Pan characters to a ride directly across from a ride with Peter Pan characters.

WDI can do better, and this ride deserves better.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Let’s not give the ride too much credit.

Can we at least give the ride some after 50 years of near continuous operation?

Disney fans were appalled at the idea of adding Stitch to Space Mountain, but putting him in Small World is fine?

Magic Kingdom is blessed to have nearly all its original E-tickets, in part because they have sustained their appeal decades after they opened. Let's not ruin another for the sake of something "new", because the novelty of Jack Sparrow in Pirates has certainly worn off 12 years after his debut. Haunted Mansion and Hall of Presidents are much better examples of how to find ways to add to an original without taking away from its focus or theme.

Animaniac93-98

Disney fans were appalled at the idea of adding Stitch to Space Mountain,

Found this post for anyone curious. It was for DLR:

AndyS2992

They want to add Peter Pan characters to a ride directly across from a ride with Peter Pan characters.

WDI can do better, and this ride deserves better.
Doesn't have to be Peter Pan, England can have:
-Mary Poppins
-Robin Hood
-Pongo and Perdita
-Arthur and Merlin
-Mr Toad
-Basil

Alice, Pooh and Peter Pan have attractions so can be omitted.

Animaniac93-98

Doesn't have to be Peter Pan, England can have:
-Mary Poppins
-Robin Hood
-Pongo and Perdita
-Arthur and Merlin
-Mr Toad
-Basil

Alice, Pooh and Peter Pan have attractions so can be omitted.

Except Alice and Peter Pan were added to the Tokyo and California rides, despite already having attractions in those Fantasylands too.

It's unlikely a substantially different cast of characters would be chosen for this version. Especially from less popular movies.

lazyboy97o

Except Alice and Peter Pan were added to the Tokyo and California rides, despite already having attractions in those Fantasylands too.

It's unlikely a substantially different cast of characters would be chosen for this version. Especially from less popular movies.
Because despite all the rationalizing, this is not about teaching kids where lots of different characters originated. It is about franchises.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Just replace all the dolls with Disney characters. They have enough of them. This adding a figure here and there isn’t working.

ToTBellHop

Can we at least give the ride some after 50 years of near continuous operation?

Disney fans were appalled at the idea of adding Stitch to Space Mountain, but putting him in Small World is fine?

Magic Kingdom is blessed to have nearly all its original E-tickets, in part because they have sustained their appeal decades after they opened. Let's not ruin another for the sake of something "new", because the novelty of Jack Sparrow in Pirates has certainly worn off 12 years after his debut. Haunted Mansion and Hall of Presidents are much better examples of how to find ways to add to an original without taking away from its focus or theme.
Remember that time Walt said, “Disneyland is complete. Never change my rides.”?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom